Sinatra Timex Shows on DVD - UPDATE: Official Release, May 19, 2017, see post #13*

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by ShockControl, Dec 4, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. paulmock

paulmock Forum Resident

Amoeba Hollywood is selling these for $9.98 each!!!!

2. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member

That's high, Paul. Those are the list prices. $6.74 each at ImportCDs.

3. paulmock

paulmock Forum Resident

What about adding shipping?

4. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member

That's why I ordered mine from Amazon.com (with free shipping for Prime members). $16.78 for the pair, with release day delivery.

5. paulmock

paulmock Forum Resident

Just watched Vol. 1 and have to honestly say that any unauthorized copy of these shows I own are a shade "better" than what this disc provided. Too many scenes are awash with brightness not seen on the boots. I think these may be copies of copies of copies. That is a shame. But, what can you expect for $7.51-$9.98?

bluesbro and Simon A like this.
  6. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

Id expect them to just fuggettabowtit.

7. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member

While it's unfortunate that these have not been remastered, it is worth mentioning that these shows have probably been "in the can" (of the Sinatra estate) for a long time in this quality.

They were aired on the Bravo cable channel in 1998, shortly after Sinatra's death, along with many other Sinatra color TV specials which had been released on VHS and LaserDisc. More recently, they appeared on PBS-TV in Los Angeles, where they were offered on DVDs as fundraising gift rewards. See the 2013 thread:

KLCS-TV to Air Frank Sinatra Shows

Eagle Rock has had these since at least the Sinatra centennial in 2015. When the HBO documentary, Sinatra: All or Nothing at All, was released on DVD and Blu-ray:

Long-awaited Frank Sinatra documentary to air on HBO, April 5–6, 2015 (Updates: dvd/blu-ray)*

there was a flyer in the Deluxe Edition box set promoting the many re-releases which were "coming soon" from Eagle Vision and Universal Music (i.e., "The Frank Sinatra Collection"). Listed on that flyer were "The Timex Specials" which had not received an official commercial issue (until now). I wonder if the poor quality of these kinescopes had something to do with the delay?

paulmock likes this.
  8. Ronald Sarbo

Ronald Sarbo Forum Resident

The feeling that nobody wants to watch ANYTHING in B & W is becoming all too pervasive. Look at the terrible times PBS has assigned to the JFK Gala. How else can you explain the decades long delay in them releasing the 57-58 series?

jupiter8, Simon A and Bob F like this.
  9. Beaneydave

Beaneydave Forum Resident

Black and White is not the issue here , if only if looked that good!

Dave
    Peace and love✌

mpayan likes this.
  10. paulmock

paulmock Forum Resident

It premiered in weekend prime time here in L.A.

11. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member

All of the showings of the JFK Gala in my area are in prime time. The first are tonight (Sunday) at 7:30 pm on WGBH 2 in Greater Boston, and at 8:00 pm on WENH 11 in southern New Hampshire.

12. Joel Cairo

Joel Cairo Video Gort / Paiute Warrior Staff

I just got a look at the official "Welcome Home Elvis" DVD...

Pardon me, but the way everyone has described it, I was under the impression that there were serious, irreparable problems with that kinescope.

That is simply not the case.

I'm on vacation next week, but I'll fix it when I get back. Shouldn't take more than a few days.

The entire show can then be restored.

Honestly, some people are so damn **lazy**...

- Kevin

JimmyCool and mpayan like this.
  13. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

Id like to see the finished product!

14. Joel Cairo

Let's just say that if you run into me on the street, you'd be very interested in the video clips that I keep on my phone... :D

- Kevin

mpayan likes this.
  15. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

So your phone goes Ring-A-Ding-Ding, eh? :)

Joel Cairo likes this.
  16. Joel Cairo

Someone asked me privately for an update...

I've done a "proof of concept" test, using a portion of the official kinescope footage and the matching portion of the recovered acetate soundtrack. The results...?

Well, they put the Sullivan shows that I did to shame. When the Sinatra estate is interested, for all intents and purposes, I can effectively provide a replacement copy of the "Welcome Home Elvis" videotape.

So... let's hope that one day they're interested.

- Kevin

Benno123, JimmyCool, jupiter8 and 4 others like this.
  17. Bob Furmanek

Bob Furmanek Forum Resident

Kevin, have you offered your restoration clips to the producers of the new Elvis HBO documentary?

18. Joel Cairo

Bob:

I was contacted by the producers, but at the time we talked, I hadn't yet discovered (on my own) that the Sinatra archive's copy of the kinescope was a viable restoration source. However, I indicated to the producers that if the Sinatra estate was willing, I'd find a copy that I could work with.

To the best of my knowledge, they contacted the estate, but there was no interest in a restoration of the footage. At least, I was never told to proceed. Which boggles my mind, considering what the Sinatra archive would get out of it, but there you go...

Additionally, I had a rough preliminary video synch-up (not a restoration at that point, but still a noticeable improvement) that I offered to Nancy over at the Sinatra website via a private link, but she never viewed it. She did say that they had already made a distribution deal (with Eagle Vision, I presume-- this was prior to the DVDs being issued), but I can't see how that would prevent the archive from upgrading their own holdings...

- Kevin

longdist01, Simon A and Bob Furmanek like this.
  19. Bob Furmanek

Bob Furmanek Forum Resident

Thanks, Kevin. It's both sad and mind-boggling that such priceless footage gets such sloppy treatment!

longdist01, stevelucille and Simon A like this.
  20. paulmock

paulmock Forum Resident

But not at ALL surprising! That's the Sinatra Legacy going down the toilet right before our very own eyes. :cry:

longdist01, Benno123 and Bob Furmanek like this.
  21. jupiter8

jupiter8 Forum Resident

Add to that a reluctance to watch anything that isn't 16x9 and it's a double-whammy

22. Joel Cairo

You know, the funny thing is, having seen it both raw (as released on DVD) and restored, the show is MUCH more watchable once the quality increases. It goes from being an artifact to a genuinely entertaining program.

And Sammy Davis Jr. just **steals** the show, by the way... :righton:

- Kevin

23. James Slattery

James Slattery Forum Resident

Didn't they also do dramas on some of the episodes or am I thinking of his earlier series. If they did, I would be far more interested in seeing those.

24. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member

Earlier (1957–58) series, with weekly programs alternating between dramas and variety shows. Many of these have not survived. See here at the Sinatra Family Forum:

The Frank Sinatra Show (1957-1958) - Episode List

[​IMG]

Simon A likes this.
  25. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member

I notice that the upcoming 3-CD Deluxe box set edition of the HBO doc soundtrack will include the “Witchcraft / Love Me Tender” duet medley with Sinatra from the Timex show (on Disc 2, Track 4).
    Anyone know the audio source? @Joel Cairo?

RCA/Legacy Recordings Set to Release Elvis Presley: The Searcher (The Original Soundtrack) on Friday, April 6
    Elvis Presley: The Searcher (The Original Soundtrack) [Deluxe] - Amazon.com Music

[​IMG]

Simon A likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.