Since TY death, what brand of CD-R do you buy?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by townsend, Sep 18, 2016.

1. townsend

townsend Senior Member Thread Starter

Yes, I already checked other, older threads, and it didn't look like any conclusion remotely approximating a consensus has emerged.

I have two Taiyo-Yuden left, & need about a 10- or 25-pack of CD-Rs to finish recording music for my car. I doubt I will ever record any more CD-Rs for my car -- I will then have about 72, which is plenty.

(Please don't mention flash drives, I can't get any to play in my Honda Civic regardless of format (e.g., it won't even play my music ripped in iTunes. That is a whole 'nother ball of wax/topic.)

Today, I went to Fry's Electronics, one of the few B&M stores that actually is interesting to shop in. They had Phillips, Sony, Verbatim, and Memorex, for my consideration. I crossed out Verbatim and Memorex immediately (based on impressions formed from reading various threads.)

That left Sony and Phillips (I think they had Phillips in smaller bundles, I am begin to doubt myself.) I almost bought a 10-pack of Sony CD-Rs, but couldn't bring myself to do it. I was afraid one of the SHF Gorts was monitoring my every action, and that I would be shunned for not buying a "forum approved" product.:tsk:

Can anyone offer any preference of what I might buy in the 10- to 25- CD-R pack category. It doesn't have to last forever, just about 30 years or so -- at the outside, I should have taken the "dirt bath" by then. Thanks.

Mr. Explorer and Gumboo like this.
  2. MusicForAll

MusicForAll Forum Resident

Last edited: Sep 18, 2016
  3. showtaper

showtaper Concert Hoarding Bastard

I bought more TY than I can probably burn in the next 10 years a while back. For discs to play in
    the car I still use Verbatim. I've had no problem with their discs (CDR and DVDR) at all......

Tim 2 and fuse999 like this.
  4. jkauff

jkauff Senior Member

Here's some additional info from Media Supply. Although CMC claims to have maintained the TY quality, the discs are made in Taiwan, not Japan.

5. Ron Scubadiver

Ron Scubadiver Forum Resident

I stopped burning a few years ago. Everything goes on hard drives and each drive has a backup of the same size. Backups are done manually to guard against cryptolock malware.

Thouston likes this.
  6. Spirit Crusher

Spirit Crusher Forum Resident

I still burn occasionally; my own needledrops. That may stop now that I have changed out the stock CD receiver in my 2006 corolla (at home I play the real thing). I burn with whatever, usually Verbatim, knowing that I may have to re-burn. Though some I think of as semi-permanent, with my own artwork/logos on them...oh well.

7. The Pinhead

The Pinhead KING OF BOOM AND SIZZLE IN HELL

Sony(Ritek)

George P, Tim S and Shak Cohen like this.
  8. joannenugent

joannenugent Forum Resident

Haven't found anything remotely comparable to Taiyo-Yuden. For burning Discs to be used in the car I use Verbatim Pro. Doesn't get me BLER values below 1 (like my trusty TY), but it generally yields BLER values below 50, which is good enough for car playback.

On a side note, Taiyo-Yuden stock is still available if you look around a bit. For example you can get any of the original That's brand CDR from ebay or Amazon Japan - those are old stock made in Japan TY.

Here is a 100 pack on ebay:
    100 pieces TAIYO YUDEN Blank CDR 2-40x For date 700MB White Label Made in JAPAN »

Here is a 50 pack on Amazon Japan:
    https://www.amazon.co.jp/CD-Rデータ用-4...UTF8&qid=1474251794&sr=8-1&keywords=thats+cdr

townsend likes this.
  9. Synthfreek

Synthfreek I’m a ray of sunshine & bastion of positivity

It's crazy to me that there is this much thought, effort and multiple trips to a store for some CD-Rs.

10. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

I bought 100 TY DVD-Rs and 100 TY CD-Rs six months ago. I should be set for life since I now burn so few discs.

The discs I burn now are mostly to give away. Record-able discs had their 15 year glory period, it was fun, it's now all over.

Bingo Bongo likes this.
  11. Time Is On My Side

Time Is On My Side Forum Resident

I get the Gold MFSL Ultradisc blanks. It's so rare that I even burn a CD-R these days that I might as well just spend $3 + S&H on a proper CD-R that will last. I only burn a CD-R if the original CD has gone bad anyway.

siebrand likes this.
  12. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

I still have lots of the retail-packaged Fuji TY CD-Rs. Probably should sell them!

kevin5brown likes this.
  13. ralphk

ralphk Ain’t gonna work on Maggie’s farm no more

Has anyone tried these yet to compare with Fuji TY's?

14. ralphk

ralphk Ain’t gonna work on Maggie’s farm no more

White or silver tops?

15. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

Neither, they're "colored top", i.e. red/green/blue with lines for labeling.

Like these:
    [​IMG]

and some of these I think:
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 20, 2016
  16. dchang81

dchang81 Forum Resident

I used Taiyo Yuden for their "superiority" but have quite a few burned cd's that suffered some rot or degradation. Supposed "****ty" maxell etc in the same storage have not suffered the same.

17. Gang-Twanger

Gang-Twanger Forum Resident

The Taiwan-made discs are all supposedly-made at the same factory and were way-better than the Chinese-made ones. That was the way I had heard it like 5 years ago, so I just looked at the label to see where the discs were made, and if I saw Taiwan on the package, I would buy them. Saved me a lot of money and hassles. I would just go to Radio Shack, Wal Mart, or wherever, and I would check the packaging for "Made In Taiwan". I mostly use hard drives and SD cards now, but my mother still burns CD-R's, so I try to point her in the right direction.

18. highway chile

highway chile I know it goes a little deeper than that.

A lot of the things we discuss openly on this board are borderline crazy....aren't they?

19. qwerty

qwerty A resident of the SH_Forums.

I have never bought TY (not readily available where I am), so I have bought name-brand disks and never had any trouble.
    Have even bought cheap+nasty generic disks for non-critical use and had no trouble.
    If you are burning for use in your car, do you really need the best archival quality?

20. townsend

From Urban Dictionary:
    thread crapping
    v. Thread crapping occurs when a person comes into a thread and posts something contrary to the spirit/intent of the thread, often derailing the discussion or turning it into an argument.

siebrand, kevin5brown, 905 and 2 others like this.
  21. Joseph.McClure

Joseph.McClure Forum Resident

I have always bought whatever was on the shelf locally and none have failed.

bxbluesman and Synthfreek like this.
  22. Synthfreek

I'm so sorry. Will you forgive me? My proper response is, "Whichever brand allows me to use a marker on its surface and is cheap."

23. rjp

rjp Senior Member

verbatim CDR's work just fine.

Tim 2, paulewalnutz, yamfox and 2 others like this.
  24. townsend

You not required to comment on a thread you have no interest in. If we want to devote excessive attention to something you don't care about, and venture into borderline crazy territory, that is our business. Please move on unless you have something positive to contribute to this thread.

George P, 905, Gardo and 1 other person like this.
  25. Synthfreek

I gave you an honest answer of what I use. Why are you singling me out when others are suggesting Verbatim and "whatever was on the shelf"? If you need a specific brand, I've been using Memorex since the TY death. Good luck.