DCC Archive Since we had biggest letdowns of a follow up how about best "Return to form"

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Ian, Oct 21, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ian

Ian Active Member Thread Starter

It easy to find the letdowns but finding the ones that cameback after a crappy album is a touch harder I would think.
    Some that come to mind for me are...

Iron Maiden
    Brave New World
    This not only hailed the return of Bruce Dickenson but also gave us the added bonus of Guitarist Adrian Smith coming back as well. A double treat if there ever was one.

Aerosmith
    Done With Mirrors
    Although it was not the commercial success the band had hoped for(the backwards lettering didn't help), despite the return of Perry and Whitford, It was, however, their most aggressive sounding album since Rocks. Never have they sounded ballsier.

Rod Stewart
    Unplugged...And Seated
    Proof that he can still conjure up the old magic... I think it's time he called Ronnie Wood and made another album with him. It's just a little overdue, doncha' think?

So let's hear from the rest of you. What do you think are some of the best comeback attempts out there? Luke? Steve? Your opinions?

2. Unknown

Unknown Guest

You took the words out of my mouth. I didn't think Maiden could make an album this good anymore, but they proved me wrong.

Since you seem to know metal, what do you think of "Risk" vs. "The World Needs a Hero"? I was let down by the latter (I had high expectations), but I suppose it has its moments. Sounds too self-derivative to me.

3. Ian

Ian Active Member Thread Starter

To be real honest I have listened to very little Megadeth since "Youthanasia" :( which I found more than a little disappointing. Although I have wanted to check out "The World Needs A Hero" I have been wary.

4. Unknown

Unknown Guest

1. Neil Young - Freedom
    2. Elvis Costello - King of America
    3. The Doors - Morrison Hotel

5. Sckott

Sckott Hand Tighten Only.

Aerosmith's "Done With Mirrors" was commerically terrible, but I do whole-heartedly agree. The band was right before rehab, unsure of their future, stressed, and made the ballsiest attempt at pure rock and roll, mostly (I think) insipired from Joe Perry's drive and influence (Music Do The Talking). Lots of slide guitar, old blues style and drive retrofitted on modern moonshine gliss. The album just hits you in the cubes (little EQing makes the CD come alive!). I'm a big Aerosmith fan, and that album runs high on my unlikely candidates for their best album possibly ever. That was the only (possibly ever) trip back to the same syle as their 1st album. Take Pump, Get A Grip, Nine Lives, Press Play... It's all rock candy, pop poetics and lost-love songs. However, I doubt in this world a song "My Fist Your Face" would ever get rock airplay today.

Aerosmith: Done With Mirrors - In your local $4.99 rack and $2.99 in the used. If you like rock-Aerosmith, pick it uppp!

Rod Stewart - Plugged and Seated... "Have I Told You Lately" Listen to the end when he breaks down a bit. Emotional vunerability that adds to the song, as he was thinking of Rachel Hunter at the time, as I think then the split was eminent..or close... My favorite comment from Rod on VH1, saying he still gets together with his old blonde girlfriends and wives. They all call it "Three Blondes and a Turkey". Weird lifestyle, that rocker. :D

6. christopher

christopher Forum Neurotic

please see the "better than the one before" thread for more in this vein.

later, chris

7. ED in NY

ED in NY New Member

Black Sabbath-Reunion. Ronnie James Dio, Ian Gillian and Glenn Hughes are great but it's not Sabbath without Ozzy, plain and simple. This double live set was a great return to form and I hope Tony, Ozzy, Geezer and Bill will get together again. I would've liked to have seen "Symptom Of The Universe" included but I'll take what they gave me all the same. Even in 2001 no one can touch them, in my very humble opinion of course.

-ED ;)

8. Unknown

Unknown Guest

I believe they're working on a studio record, to be produced by Rick Rubin.

You like the Gillian-era Sabbath? :eek:

9. ED in NY

ED in NY New Member

Not really. But I love Gillian era Deep Purple. 1969-1973 being my favorite. I also think Purpendicular was the best record they did with Ian Gillian since Who Do We Think We Are. It was a nice return because I hated The Battle Rages On. I think Steve Morse breathed new life into the band, though some may disagree...

-Ed

10. pigmode

pigmode Active Member

Okay, okay, I was stuck for an answer but now I see it. Heaven And Hell was an incredible return to form for the Black Sabbath boys. True, it was a new era for the band, but it was some of Iommi's best work,imo.

By the way, is there a good CD version of They sold Their Souls For Rock And Roll?

11. TommyTunes

TommyTunes Senior Member

After Wildlife and Redrose Speedway we got
    Band on the Run
    After Tull's absolute worst Passion Play then came War Child
    And after enduring the Phil Collin years Genesis came back with ....oh sorry they sill sound like crap.
    But at least we get a true return to form for the Who as a touring band now only if they could come up with a suitable album to perserve the momentum.

12. Sckott

Sckott Hand Tighten Only.

Yes, it's on Castle Entertainment. It should be on your local racks, although all the Sabbath Castle stuff is UK imported through US distro. That one will sound the best. It's a double CD in a single CD flip-jewel with a embossed black slip over it. Can't miss it.

And PLEEASE keep away from the odd looking budget versions of the Sabbath stuff. I think it's on Newcastle Entertainment? They go for $7.99. Unless it's for the boom box, and that's all you own, stay away from them. Sabotoge and Master Of Reality have no dynamic power, and tons of tape drop outs. Possibly mastered from cassette.

The Castle "Black Sabbath" CD, their 1st lp, has the Crow cover on it, "Evil Woman (Don't Play Your Games With Me)" on it. It's great.

13. Matt

Matt New Member

Paul McCartney - Run Devil Run
    Elvis Presley - The Burbank Sessions (for the '68 NBC TV Special)
    Bonnie Raitt - Nick of Time
    Frank Sinatra - Songs for Young Lovers
    Prince - Emancipation
    The Rolling Stones - Beggar's Banquet
    Everly Brothers - Roots

14. BradOlson

BradOlson Country/Christian Music Maven

The cheap odd looking budget versions of the Black Sabbath catalog are on Creative Sounds/Dorcester Holdings.

[ October 22, 2001: Message edited by: Bradley Olson ]

15. pigmode

pigmode Active Member

Sckott, I've found a 2 CD version with the catalog # ESDCD605 at HMV. Is that the one?

They have the same one at A&B listed as from Fab Dist.

[ October 22, 2001: Message edited by: pigmode ]

16. Unknown

Unknown Guest

Dylan's "Time Out of Mind."

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.