“Sing and Dance with Frank Sinatra” 70th Anniversary LP and Hybrid SACD from Impex Records

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Bob F, Aug 31, 2020.

1. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member Thread Starter

IMPEX RECORDS ANNOUNCES
    EXPANDED 70th ANNIVERSARY AUDIOPHILE ISSUE
    OF ICONIC 1950 COLUMBIA RECORDS LP
    SING AND DANCE WITH FRANK SINATRA

[​IMG]

180-GRAM 33RPM LP from Impex Records
    Pre-order from Elusive Disc

SUPER AUDIO COMPACT DISC/HYBRID from Impex Records
    Pre-order from Elusive Disc

(Los Angeles) IMPEX Records is pleased to announce the September 30, 2020 Limited Edition release of Frank Sinatra’s iconic 1950 Columbia Records ten-inch LP Sing and Dance with Frank Sinatra. Originally issued in October, 1950 the title was the singer’s first fully-conceived big-band jazz album to appear on a modern, long-play vinyl record. The 70th-anniversary limited edition LP and SACD/CD hybrid brims with rare, previously unreleased session material, outtakes and alternate vocal takes from the original sessions and offers the exquisite audiophile-quality sound that IMPEX Records is noted for.

Created in cooperation with Sony Music’s Legacy Recordings, the new deluxe reissue was produced by noted Sinatra producer, author and historian Charles L. Granata, and restored/remastered by six-time Grammy-winning recording engineer Andreas Meyer. The 33-RPM LP was cut by Chris Bellman at Bernie Grundman Mastering, Hollywood and is being released on 180-Gram premium vinyl (pressed at RTI). The high-resolution SACD/CD hybrid version was authored by Gus Skinas at Super Audio Center/Sonoma Systems. Included in each edition is an extensive, full-color booklet designed by Robert Sliger, featuring a comprehensive historical essay, full discography/personnel listing and detailed technical notes authored by Granata, PLUS a generous array of rare photographs, promotional artwork and unpublished visual ephemera pertaining to the album. The executive producers are Abey Fonn and Bob Bantz.

Rich in musical texture, this essential Sinatra classic - featuring the swing-style arrangements of George Siravo - marked a pivotal moment in 20th-Century pop music history, and represented the singer’s transition from tender crooner to hip, swinging sophisticate. These performances offer a flawless snapshot of Sinatra’s legendary musical craftsmanship as he reinvents himself for a new direction in his career—one that would hail his unparalleled success of the 1950’s and 60’s.

For this commemorative release, IMPEX has augmented the album’s original eight songs (programmed in sequence on Side A of the LP) with a dazzling array of PREVIOUSLY UNRELEASED BONUS TRACKS including alternate takes, orchestra-only tracks and a revealing glimpse of Frank Sinatra in Columbia’s famed 30th Street Studio (circa 1949), personally directing every facet of the recording session. This exquisite, high-fidelity session offers the most concise, in-depth illustration of Frank Sinatra working his magic in the studio, and functioning as his own producer.

The IMPEX team has spared no expense or effort in the creation of this milestone recording. In keeping with the prestigious label’s reputation for meticulous sound, the 33-RPM vinyl LP has been transferred, restored and mastered in the analog domain from the original 15-ips session tapes: superior-sounding masters that have lain untouched in the Columbia Records vault for more than fifty years. These analog, monophonic tape masters sound spectacular, and shine as never before. The SACD/CD edition has been sourced, restored and remastered from high-resolution digital transfers made concurrently with the LP’s analog tape and disc transfers.

LP TRACK LISTING

Side A - The Master Takes

1. Lover (Rodgers-Hart) 2:39
    2. It’s Only A Paper Moon (Rose-Harburg-Arlen) 1:56
    3. My Blue Heaven (Whiting-Donaldson) 2:27
    4. It All Depends On You (DeSylva, Brown & Henderson) 2:44
    5. You Do Something to Me (Porter) 2:33
    6. Should I (Freed-Brown) 2:24
    7. The Continental (Magidson-Conrad) 2:32
    8. When You’re Smiling (Fisher-Goodwin-Shay) 2:29

Side B - Alternate Takes, Sessions & Rarities

1. Farewell, Farewell to Love (“Barbecue Riffs”) (Siravo-Wolf) (feat. Harry James & his Orch.) 2:53 *
    2. Deep Night (Henderson-Vallee) (feat. Harry James & his Orch.) 3:15 *
    3. You Do Something to Me (Porter) (Prev. Unissued Orch. Only + Vocal Alternate Take) 6:54
    4. American Beauty Rose (David-Altman-Evans) (Prev. Unissued Alternate Take) 2:36
    5. It All Depends On You (DeSylva-Brown-Henderson) (Session Recording [SHORT version - Prev. Unissued] + ‘-Test’ Take) 8:30

SACD/CD TRACK LISTING

Please Note: Due to additional time afforded by the SACD/CD format, this version contains material not included on the 33-RPM vinyl edition.

The Master Takes

1. Lover (Rodgers-Hart) 2:39
    2. It’s Only A Paper Moon (Rose-Harburg-Arlen) 1:56
    3. My Blue Heaven (Whiting-Donaldson) 2:27
    4. It All Depends On You (DeSylva, Brown & Henderson) 2:44
    5. You Do Something to Me (Porter) 2:33
    6. Should I (Freed-Brown) 2:24
    7. The Continental (Magidson-Conrad) 2:32
    8. When You’re Smiling (Fisher-Goodwin-Shay) 2:29

Alternate Takes, Sessions & Rarities

9. Farewell, Farewell to Love (“Barbecue Riffs”) (Siravo-Wolf) (with Harry James & his Orch.) 2:53 *
    10. Deep Night (Henderson-Vallee) (with Harry James & his Orch.) 3:15 *
    11. It’s Only A Paper Moon (Rose-Harburg-Arlen) (Alternate Vocal Take - Prev. Unissued) 2:07
    12. You Do Something to Me (Porter) (Orch. Only Take, False Starts + Vocal Alternate Take) (Prev. Unissued) 6:54
    13. American Beauty Rose (David-Altman-Evans) (Alternate Vocal Take - Prev. Unissued) 2:36
    14. It All Depends On You (DeSylva-Brown-Henderson) (Session Recording [SHORT version - Prev. Unissued] + ‘-Test’ Take) 8:30

All arrangements are by George Siravo.
    All selections are MONOPHONIC.

(*) These recordings have been restored and remastered from a recently discovered, first-generation MASTER tape from the original sessions, and offer sound that is superior to all previous issues.

Video:

jfeldt, madison, Gormenghast and 44 others like this.
  2. jtsjc1

jtsjc1 Forum Resident

Both, of course.

CBackley likes this.
  3. kennyluc1

kennyluc1 Frank Sinatra collector

Oh Boy !! ... pre-ordered.

colormesinatra likes this.
  4. LeeP

LeeP Forum Resident

The track list is the same for the lp and SACD but it says the SACD has more material. On the Elusive Disc site it shows the back of the lp and what is listed above is what is on the lp. The back of the SACD is not shown. Maybe that will appear at some point.

Jarleboy likes this.
  5. Bob F

The SACD listing shows an additional track.

6. LeeP

LeeP Forum Resident

Ah, yes, now I see it. “It’s Only a Paper Moon.” I was hoping for more than just one short track more, but I’ll take it.

dwilpower, Jarleboy and Bob F like this.
  7. ibanez_ax

ibanez_ax Forum Resident

I pre-ordered the hybrid SACD.

RSteven likes this.
  8. Bob F

Additional images…

LP Back:

[​IMG]

SACD Front:

[​IMG]

scotti, Richard--W, Davidmk5 and 11 others like this.
  9. Bob F

10. DmitriKaramazov

DmitriKaramazov Senior Member

Whoa, this is VERY exciting! Automatic purchase! Thank you Bob!

— David

11. Dr. Funkenstein

Dr. Funkenstein Forum Resident

Wow!! Who saw this coming? Thanks for sharing, Bob, I can’t wait to hear it. What would I do without this forum...

12. Say It Right

Say It Right Not for the Hearing Impaired

Elusive Disc is showing October 30 release date now.

colormesinatra and Bob F like this.
  13. kennyluc1

kennyluc1 Frank Sinatra collector

Balls ... On Facebook there's a picture of Chuck holding the album.

14. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

Ha. Now isnt that a cool video :cool:

Chuck Granata and Chris Bellman working on this? ....a sure fire winner :thumbsup:

What a great surprise in these tumultous crazy times!

colormesinatra and kennyluc1 like this.
  15. paulmock

paulmock Forum Resident

My bet is the gatefold jackets went to press before the LP's. Allegedly this was all set to go to print the LP's...and then the entire world forever changed.

16. CBackley

CBackley Chairman of the Bored

Pre-ordered both. My wallet is hurting this fall. Ouch.

jtsjc1 and paulmock like this.
  17. paulmock

paulmock Forum Resident

Since the LP is advertised as limited edition, I went for that. I can always get the SACD a bit later.

The BIG choice for me was shipping. With a release date of October 30th, my fear is that if I used USPS my copy would be sitting in an annex in Wichita till February! I paid more for an alternate shipper.

colormesinatra and Bob F like this.
  18. jtsjc1

jtsjc1 Forum Resident

But its a good pain. It only hurts until you drop the needle on that nice quiet vinyl then it will all go away to the sounds of Frank's Columbia recordings.:pineapple:

19. I’m not that knowledgeable on Sinatra outtakes/rarities - are those on this forthcoming LP/SACD available on other releases, or is this the first time they’ll be available?

vzok likes this.
  20. bktouchstone

bktouchstone Forum Resident

Ordered! Thanks to the OP for this!

Bob F likes this.
  21. MMM

MMM Forum Hall Of Fame

Hello everyone,

I am sorry I have been away from the forum since March (a lot of unrelated personal stuff).

We are very proud of this release. I am not sure why I was not included within the "mastered by " slideshow in this video (I know that no slight was intended), but Andreas, Chuck and I sweated over every last 0.1db in Andreas' studio to deliver a final master we hope you all love. Chris Bellman with Bob Donnelly did a fabulous job translating our final analog master to the tube cut lacquers, while us three made the final digital masters, with Gus Skinas wonderfully creating the DSD master from it. Having this project come out through Impex has been gratifying as they are truly committed to delivering the best, and it's been an honor to be part of the project of making this music speak as best as we possibly could.

We hope you love it.

Last edited: Aug 31, 2020
  22. jtsjc1

jtsjc1 Forum Resident

Thank you Martin and to the whole team this is one of the best Columbia releases since the BBB.

McLover, kennyluc1, Bob F and 2 others like this.
  23. MMM

MMM Forum Hall Of Fame

We hope you think so, Joe, once it comes out soon.

The session material for "It All Depends On You" is seriously the best example of Frank working in the studio that I have ever heard, between stuff that has been "out there", and material I've been very fortunate to have been involved with transferring and preserving which has been heard by very few. It truly shows that Frank was The Master in running a session, right down to how the bass drum sounded.

madison, Arkoffs, Jarleboy and 15 others like this.
  24. CBackley

CBackley Chairman of the Bored

Martin, I can’t even tell you how I excited I am to here this! Thank you for your work!

RSteven and MMM like this.
  25. batdude98

batdude98 Forum Resident

B-e-a-utiful!! SACD Pre-Ordered!

A Thousand Thanks to @MMM for his astonishing work on FAS reissues, and the love and care that Chuck Granata and co. have shown The Voice time and time again!