“Sing and Dance with Frank Sinatra” 70th Anniversary LP and Hybrid SACD from Impex Records

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Bob F, Aug 31, 2020.

1. jtsjc1

jtsjc1 Forum Resident

Great to hear the music gave you some help in getting through Paul. Hang in there buddy and keep listening to Frank, Dean etc. God Bless.

ggjjr, RSteven and paulmock like this.
  2. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member Thread Starter

Months after being pulled, the SACD is once again available for pre-order from Amazon.com. (With a release date this Friday, January 15, 2021, and an inflated price.)

paulmock and George P like this.
  3. Chris C

Chris C Music was my first love and it will be my last!

Still loving the SACD of this, but finally had a chance last weekend to spin the IMPEX vinyl and it is equally great. Beautiful quiet pressing and it was almost hard to know it was actually vinyl playing, it was so quiet. The vinyl version of this release is so impressive to hold in your hands. The detail with the art, with the great little yellow popping highlights make this such a worthy purchase, let alone the music in the grooves. Nice to see member @MMM photos, but wish that one of them had included you!

Speaking of photos, I noticed this very young woman who was involved with this project, Abey Fonn and I'm interested on how such a young woman got involved as an executive producer on this? It always seems like The Sinatra Estate keeps a pretty tight group of people involved with their later releases. Maybe because this one is COLUMBIA related and not directly a Sinatra Estate involved (other than approval) release, I'm guessing? Whatever the case is she a long time Sinatra fan or did she just happened to be one of the IMPEX people related to these type of releases?

I realize I mentioned this before, but after finally hearing the vinyl of this, I can't stop thinking just how great it would be to have this same team tackle those two Sinatra/Jobim albums, especially with that first album "Francis Albert Sinatra & Antonio Carlos Jobim", using it's long out of print original mix! A man can dream, can't he???

OOPS, I just found this on Abey Fonn. I had no idea that she is the founder of Impex Records and she used to work with Cisco! WOW, she is very interesting!!!

Last edited: Jan 16, 2021
    kennyluc1, ggjjr, alanbeat and 3 others like this.
  4. MMM

MMM Forum Hall Of Fame

Abey is a great person. Her father had owned CISCO (off-hand I believe he founded it, but don't hold me to it), and she has moved it all forward with IMPEX, constantly striving for releasing the best.

We really made sure every last noise common between individual test pressings were accounted for in each round of tests, describing each noise with its timing, etc. RTI then kept getting the metal as great as possible until these were corrected, and turned out beautiful pressings.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2021
    kennyluc1, Chris C, ggjjr and 4 others like this.
  5. Spencer R

Spencer R Forum Resident

My copy of the SACD showed up this morning, and, yes, for the first time I recall, I can actually discern the bass on a Columbia Sinatra tune. I have The Voice on a nice original Columbia LP, and have several CD compilations of Sinatra’s Columbia era material, but I’ve never heard the Columbia era material sound like this. My “wow” moment here was hearing the bite of the brass and horns on so many tunes. I know Frank is the star of the show, but this SACD lets me hear his Columbia era backing musicians like never before.

As everyone else in this thread has said, job well done by Impex Records. On top of the music, the booklet and liner notes are a model for how booklets and liner notes ought to be done.

I hope Impex does some more Sinatra release from this era. I’d certainly buy them.

6. MMM

MMM Forum Hall Of Fame

We're so glad you love it, Spencer. Thank you.

Simon A, RSteven and Spencer R like this.
  7. Spencer R

Spencer R Forum Resident

Thank you. I’d love to hear “Sweet Lorraine,” “Blue Skies,” and some of Frank’s other jazzier Columbia material receive this treatment. I know it’s easy to type that from my armchair, and harder to make it happen. Thank you for what you have given us with this amazing reissue. I’m sure it will be in heavy rotation in my house for weeks to come.

Simon A, RSteven and MMM like this.
  8. MMM

MMM Forum Hall Of Fame

Our honor and pleasure, Spencer!

RSteven likes this.
  9. Swordsandchains

Swordsandchains True metal never rusts

it really makes Tone Poets look overpriced with everything you get here for the same price

10. Gustave

Gustave Well-Known Member

Maybe in the United States... Tone Poets are 35€ in Europe (42$), and this Sinatra Impex release something like 50-60€, which I think it is still a great deal because of the quality of this release. You can't beat Universal distribution.

Swann36, Simon A and RolandG like this.
  11. Finally received SACD shipping notice from MD. Dear lord talk about last in line. And I’m still waiting for Jimi AYE from the same. Looking forward to Frank at least.

12. teag

teag Forum Resident

I received the vinyl version and am absolutely amazed at the sound quality of this release. As others have stated, the mastering is superb - the vocal is among, if not the best, I have heard Frank sound. Flat, quiet vinyl. The Impex label continues to excel.

Outstanding remaster - hopefully there will be more like this from the vaults.

ggjjr, RSteven, Simon A and 1 other person like this.
  13. MMM

MMM Forum Hall Of Fame

Thank you so much, teag! We're so glad you love it...

Simon A and teag like this.
  14. Rigoberto

Rigoberto Forum Resident

Too bad High Hopes isn't on here. I heard it on the radio today and thought maybe it would be since it is from 1959. I went ahead and ordered the movie that the song is in 'A Hole In The Head' on Blu-ray from Target (20% off with Target Circle Offer and free shipping with Red Card).

Did this song ever end up on a album?

High Hopes

15. brucej4

brucej4 Forum Resident

All the Way (Frank Sinatra album) - Wikipedia

16. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member Thread Starter

Completely different era and voice. This album is Columbia 1950. “High Hopes” was Capitol 1959.

All release details here: Frank Sinatra Sessionography – "High Hopes"

17. teag

teag Forum Resident

Wowsa.......

18. Rigoberto

Rigoberto Forum Resident

19. Sinatraology

Sinatraology Forum Resident

If anyone else reserved from Diverse Vinyl, they now have my SACD arrived and ready for 'ordering'. I note just because the emails went to junk so nearly missed it.

20. Daveymoore

Daveymoore Forum Resident

Yes, my back order for the vinyl arrived in stock today at DV and the order has now gone through.

21. Dougthesnail

Dougthesnail The Big Gabagool

Rob Hughes, Swann36, RSteven and 4 others like this.
  22. MMM

MMM Forum Hall Of Fame

Cameron, thank you so much for your wonderful review.

To be clear, the three songs which needed judicious restoration from 16" disc masters are both versions of "It All Depends On You" (the master take and the session with the test take), and the new edit Chuck Granata constructed of "American Beauty Rose" from three different takes along with false starts. The backing for "American Beauty Rose" actually exists on tape, but a finished vocal does not that we can find so far. We thought we had a tape master at one point, but the last one I heard was an old disc dub from the 1950's, which you can imagine does not compare with the sound of the disc masters when transferred how we do now. All the other songs are true analog from tape.

Aside from the restoration needed for those three 16" disc based tracks, all the mastering was done completely analog (including the mastering for the 16" disc tracks after their restoration). We (Andreas, Chuck, and I) mastered everything at Andreas' Swan Studios to 30 ips 1/2" tape for the LP version, with the digital capturing all the same adjustments concurrently to hi res (vs tape) for the hybrid disc version. Chris and Bob wonderfully cut this for LP from those 30 ips 1/2" tapes via the tube driven lathe at Bernie Grundman Mastering.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2021
  23. Dougthesnail

Thanks for your kind words, Martin. If you don't mind I'll update the review and add your information.

RSteven and MMM like this.
  24. MMM

MMM Forum Hall Of Fame

I made a quick edit, Cameron, so just check my post vs the quote in case they are different.

Our thanks again so much!

25. Dougthesnail

Always a pleasure to bring attention to such a high quality product.

RSteven, MMM, ggjjr and 1 other person like this.