“Sing and Dance with Frank Sinatra” 70th Anniversary LP and Hybrid SACD from Impex Records

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Bob F, Aug 31, 2020.

1. Sim2

Sim2 Forum Resident

Post office delivered my SACD this afternoon.

Echo what’s been stated: it’s unbelievably good.

btw: I plan on purchasing the LP too!

Granata Chuck, Shawn, Simon A and 2 others like this.
  2. MMM

MMM Forum Hall Of Fame

Charles, our thanks! We're glad you love it!

RiRiIII, RSteven and Simon A like this.
  3. ausamerika

ausamerika Forum Resident

Another great release I came to too late! Gah.

RSteven likes this.
  4. Simon A

Simon A Arrr!

5. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

10 cents a dance?

When my mother gave me a dime, she would tell me not to spend it all in one place.

Do they do something different for just 5 cents?

I would like to be able to get a candy bar too.

RSteven and ggjjr like this.
  6. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

10 cents a dance?

When my mother gave me a dime, she would tell me not to spend it all in one place.

Do they do something different for just 5 cents?

I would like to be able to get a candy bar too.

Simon A and ggjjr like this.
  7. Cherrycherry

Cherrycherry Forum Resident

Ladies OR candy bar.
    Choose wisely.

Simon A likes this.
  8. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

The REAL choice was lady or TWO candy bars.

I have always believed that there is no substitute for quantity.

So, I choose two candy bars over the lady.

At this point, I know where true pleasure lies. And also, they can last longer.

DmitriKaramazov, TimM and RSteven like this.
  9. Cherrycherry

Cherrycherry Forum Resident

Exactly what kind of candy bar are you talkin' about? :angel:

10. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

As I was basically into quantity over quality, if your goal was in the direction of chocolate, you generally based your decision on the heaviest candy bar that you could get for the standard 5 cent price.

That made it so anything that Hershey's or Nestle's made was out of the running. No Mars, Three Musketeers or Snickers either.

That is because there was some factory in Brooklyn that concocted one of those blended type bars that weighed twice as much as the milk chocolates, and at least 60% more than most of the other bars.

I forget it's name. I don't know what the extra ingredient was.

It was terrible. After eating it, you wished maybe you had chosen something else.

But it was quantity.

If I had another nickel, I would do it all over again. And I did.

Record Rotator and Jarleboy like this.
  11. boggs

boggs Multichannel Machiavellian

KLEIN'S LUNCH BAR. 5 cents for one. Made in Elizabethtown, PA. 1950's and 1960's.

NorthNY Mark likes this.
  12. If anyone hasn't noticed, Amazon has dropped the SACD to $32.

13. MarkusGermany

MarkusGermany WINNING

Still waiting for the Complete Columbia Master Takes boxset….

14. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

Was that first promised about 6 to 7 years ago?

They may be waiting for the 250th anniversary.

15. jtsjc1

jtsjc1 Forum Resident

Chuck Granata said the project was cancelled by Sony. Their "brilliant" management doesn't feel its worthwhile. When you see some of the garbage they push out these days which is supposedly music, you understand.

16. bubba-ho-tep

bubba-ho-tep Resident Ne'er-Do-Well

That's really unfortunate.

17. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

Despite the likelihood that the remastering, an improvement over the Big Blue Box, has already been completed. The nickels and dimes to manufacture the CDs is just too much for SONY.

SONY also cancelled all of their other box set series, except for classical.

Reclassify Franks as "classical music". Let SONY's classical division do the job.

colormesinatra and jtsjc1 like this.
  18. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

The family should pay for the project. But I don't think they care to promote the young Sinatra.

RiRiIII likes this.
  19. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

I wonder if the decision was made in the corporate offices in NYC or in Tokyo.

I'm not really "nationalistic", but decades ago, I could not believe that America was selling its cultural legacy to the highest bidder. That figures, though.

20. frankfan1

frankfan1 Some days I feel like Balok

The Sinatra family does not own the rights like they do for most of the Reprise recordings.

I doubt it has high sales potential. The big blue box is available on all streaming platforms. The best of the Columbia sides are available on existing sets and in the boxes in print.

personally I’d like to see Mosaic lease them. But that would be an expensive set.

RiRiIII and Pal Joey like this.
  21. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

It isn't about owning the rights. For a reissue to happen, especially when the corporation shows little interest, the project needs strong advocates, and perhaps a little economic incentive (a strong interest in licensing).

The estate can be a very strong advocate, and can support licensing as well. They don't need to own the masters to do this.

All this stuff about "it won't sell well" doesn't really affect this. There are countless CD box sets being issued in editions of less than 1,000 copies. You cannot really argue that the complete Sinatra Columbia box would only sell a few hundred copies.

If it were a limited edition, it would sell. If it were unlimited, it would sell. Look at the world of classical boxsets of extremely obscure music (not just Beethoven and Mozart). Those are produced constantly. Because they have advocates.

The bottom line is the estate does not want to advocate for this project.

Sim2 likes this.
  22. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

No more expensive than the Blue Box.

But such a project does not seem likely, given Mosaic's focus on its concept of jazz purity (I have a complete Mosaic collection, except for a few boxes)

23. ZippyPippy

ZippyPippy Forum Resident

I recall hearing years later that the town had a factory that was making Dove Chocolate products. I wonder if it was the same factory.

24. frankfan1

frankfan1 Some days I feel like Balok

You must not have followed how Nancy Sinatra has championed her father’s Columbia recordings. Has for decades. She and chuck granata were driving forces behind the two most recent boxes. Nancy plugged them hard on her Sirius shows for years. Don’t know what else she can do. She’s now in her eighties. Frankie is dead. Tina is getting older. The window is closing.

25. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

Yes, I guess it is time to wrap it up.