Singer-Songwriter David Crosby R.I.P.

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Eskimo Chain, Jan 19, 2023.

1. AC1

AC1 Forum Resident

So the album that was already "in the can" is actually For Free? There is nothing more?

2. Rfreeman

Rfreeman Senior Member

No he spoke of an album in the can and an additional 5 songs in the works after the release of For Free

zobalob, DTK, Heart of Gold and 2 others like this.
  3. Harm1985

Harm1985 Forum Resident

Wow @Chief, a belated thanks for many hours of enjoyment I had listening to that set! Unfortunately, I only had a crappy mp3 copy, so I'll have to see if I can find a lossless copy.

PS, not to brag, but if anyone ever came across the Neil Young compilation A Hundred Times or More, that was me.

Chief likes this.
  4. Tony Plachy

Tony Plachy Senior Member

What set are you referring to? :confused:

5. csnfan

csnfan Forum Resident

Wow - Amazing - Thanks so much for this - It has the Australian ABC logo at the bottom - I wonder what the source was?
    Simply incredible

ThereOnceWasANote likes this.
  6. Tony Plachy

Tony Plachy Senior Member

7. David P. Hill

David P. Hill Forum Resident

:righton::righton: Thumbs up Croz singing and picking!!

carlwm likes this.
  8. dtuck90

dtuck90 Forum Resident

I believe there has been a Lighthouse Band album ready to go for probably nearly a year and then there’s the new tracks he was recording recently

9. Louie Visentin

Louie Visentin Forum Resident

Doggiedogma and carlwm like this.
  10. carlwm

carlwm Forum Resident

I bet it does. :)

keyse1 and PhilBorder like this.
  11. WaterLemon

WaterLemon Forum Resident

Thanks! Carry Me is a song I don’t think I will ever grow tired of. Love it.

This is my understanding of what Croz has said too. Very much looking forward to more music from David and these talented younger friends.

csnfan likes this.
  12. Chief

Chief Over 12,000 Served

“Carry Me” is probably about as close as Crosby ever got to writing a song that could have been a hit. It was single, didn’t make the top 40.

13. fishcane

fishcane Dirt Farmer

Phil Lesh did Tamalpais High and this last night

14. fishcane

fishcane Dirt Farmer

Phil lesh dug out a few more Croz tunes in Colorado last night…. laughing, 8 miles high(yes we know it’s not his song lol) and encore was Music is Love…. Just special night
    Tribute from a real friend

love this tune today

15. Smokin Chains

Smokin Chains Forum Resident

I always loved Cowboy Movie....I know Jerry, Phil, Micky and Billy are on the track. Is Neil Young playing too? Some of the licks sound like him.

Ezzie and fishcane like this.
  16. fishcane

fishcane Dirt Farmer

Pretty sure that’s just David and Jerry

chrisblower and Smokin Chains like this.
  17. DTK

DTK Forum Resident

On the album, no Neil. But on the CSN box set there's version with both Garcia and Neil.

Smokin Chains likes this.
  18. Rfreeman

Rfreeman Senior Member

Actually on the Crosby box set. And I believe they never actually recorded vocal overdub for this - they just flew in vocals from final take.

Smokin Chains and fishcane like this.
  19. pool_of_tears

pool_of_tears Searching For Simplicity

That's a link to a bootleg. Strictly a no-no!

20. fishcane

fishcane Dirt Farmer

21. rjp

rjp Senior Member

from yahoo news today 2/8/23

Before David Crosby’s death last month at age 81, the singer reportedly attempted to reunite with his old friend Graham Nash.

Crosby even left him a touching voicemail, Nash told AARP in a new interview.

In 2021, Crosby said he hadn’t spoken with Nash in years and claimed any sign of friendship was just for show.

“He gave the impression of looking after me, but apparently, that was all just trying to keep the money coming,” Crosby told the Guardian. “But there you go.”

Crosby didn’t seem excited about resolving their tensions either.

“I’m not going to talk to him. I don’t want to talk to him. I’m not happy with him at all,” Crosby said. “To me, that’s all ancient history, man.”

But Nash told AARP that “we were getting a little closer at the end.”

Apparently, Crosby sent Nash a voicemail saying he wanted to set up a time to apologize.

“I emailed him back and said, ‘Okay, call me at eleven o’clock tomorrow your time, which is two o’clock on the East Coast.’ He never called, and then he was gone,” Nash lamented.

Nearly three weeks later, Nash admitted to the outlet he’s still adjusting to life without Crosby.

“His death is like an earthquake: You know that you’re in an earthquake, but subsequently, other smaller earthquakes happen afterwards,” he said. “His death has been like that. It was only two or three days after he passed that I realized that he was actually gone.”

Ryan Lux, Wright, jeremylr and 10 others like this.
  22. David P. Hill

David P. Hill Forum Resident

DTK, are you referring to the CSN's 91 cd box set? I checked my 91 box set, I didn't see "Cowboy Movie" on there.

DTK likes this.
  23. DTK

DTK Forum Resident

Because I remembered wrong. The version with Garcia and Neil both is on disc 3 of the Voyage box set;

David Crosby - Voyage

fishcane likes this.
  24. Josip

Josip Forum Resident

This last act of Crosby-Nash is very sad, I think for all parties. I think Nash gets bad rep in recent years but it's easy to forget that he bought Crosby's publishing in the 80s so he couldn't sell it for drugs. After he got clean, Nash sold it back to him and, fast forward to 2021, Crosby sells that same songs and secures his family financially.

25. Kiss73

Kiss73 Forum Resident

There is no one innocent in the CSNY story. No one comes out of that history smelling of roses. It is rather sad how it ended though these past several years.