Singers who were (unknown to most) really good at a musical instrument

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Panther, Sep 9, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Fox67

Fox67 Bad as Can

I knew the radio hits and wasn't aware of his prowess on the guitar until I was watching Letterman one night and was floored by this performance:

MikaelaArsenault, mbd40 and carlwm like this.
  2. Uh, no. He can barely play.

Comet01 likes this.
  3. drad dog

drad dog A Listener

4. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

I saw a video of Yes in 1975 and was surprised to see that Jon Anderson played rhythm guitar in the battle section of "Gates of Delirium." I don't know if he was up very loud in the P.A. mix but it looked like he was keeping up with the tempo/meter changes.

5. Jaycat

Jaycat Forum Resident

Mark E. Smith played the violin. (sort of).

6. drad dog

drad dog A Listener

He's a long time pro musician and did a lot of the songwritng in Yes, at their best. What do you expect?

7. Ghost of Ziggy

Ghost of Ziggy Forum Resident

Steve Winwood, great guitarist (not his main instrument).

8. Dr. Bogenbroom

Dr. Bogenbroom I'm not a Dr. but I play one on SteveHoffman.TV

Wow, I always had assumed it was some studio musician playing that lead/solo. Dadgum, new level of respect for Mr. Fogelberg. Impressive.

9. jumpinjulian

jumpinjulian Forum Resident

Willie Nelson is an incredible guitar player who doesn’t seem to get much recognition for his unique style and talent on the instrument- probably because he’s such an amazing singer, songwriter and interpreter of songs as well!

10. dasacco

dasacco Senior Member

Steven Tyler was a drummer before Aerosmith. I recall Joey Kramer saying a good one, too.

pantofis likes this.
  11. MikeM

MikeM Senior Member

Being as seemingly every song Willie ever recorded has an acoustic guitar break from him, I question the statement that he doesn't get much recognition for his guitar skills.

Long before Willie there was Hank Snow, who is probably in the all-time top 10 of country artists in terms of the number of chart hits he had. And just like Willie, almost every one of his songs featured him playing an acoustic guitar break. He was quite good as well.

12. thos

thos Forum Resident

Talking Heads fans know that David Byrne is (at least) a great rhythm guitarist...

In the summer of '82 I saw Talking Heads at the SB County Bowl - this was a couple years after seeing the Remain in Light tour with Adrian Belew, but before the Speaking in Tongues record came out and before the Stop Making Sense version of the band (which came to the Bowl the following summer).

I was surprised and impressed with Byrne's guitar playing at that '82 show, somewhat taking over where Belew left off and playing some searing lead guitar.

brunofaetten likes this.
  13. notesofachord

notesofachord Riding down the river in an old canoe

Absolutely.

Witness:

MikaelaArsenault and drad dog like this.
  14. YardByrd

YardByrd rock n roll citizen in a hip hop world

Keith Relf was known as much for his harp work as his vocals... however, his guitar playing is overlooked completely... that's his galloping acoustic guitar on the Yardbirds hit, "Heart Full of Soul"... as a four piece during the Page era, Relf occasionally would play rhythm live onstage...

15. BornBeforeTheWind

BornBeforeTheWind Forum Resident

Jerry Reed's virtuosity has probably been overshadowed by his distinctive singing voice and even his acting, but he was damn good.

16. BornBeforeTheWind

BornBeforeTheWind Forum Resident

Oh and Eddie Van Halen was pretty good on the keyboard.

MikaelaArsenault likes this.
  17. MikeM

MikeM Senior Member

Interesting, I had never heard this. So it begs the question, Where was Chris Dreja when this was recorded?

Of course Relf went on to play guitar in the first version of Renaissance, but when I saw them live, his guitar playing struck me as fairly rudimentary.

18. YardByrd

YardByrd rock n roll citizen in a hip hop world

I've never seen a satisfactory answer as to why Dreja didn't play it... McCarty might know although it's 54 years after the fact... Chris himself wouldn't be able to recall... he's suffered a couple strokes in the last decade...

19. Stuggy

Stuggy Forum Resident

Should have duetted with Ornette Coleman?

20. Summer of Malcontent

Summer of Malcontent Forum Resident

On the recorded evidence I’ve heard, Bowie was a terrible sax player. I assumed people were posting this as a joke, but it’s come up enough times to make me doubt that!

21. mesfen

mesfen Senior Member

David Clayton Thomas handled the lead forGo Down Gamblin

MikaelaArsenault and MikeM like this.
  22. Joel Cairo

Joel Cairo Video Gort / Paiute Warrior Staff

Mary Ford was reportedly a fine guitarist... but I think there's no question who the best guitarist was in **that** group!

- Kevin

23. MikeM

MikeM Senior Member

I'm not a fan of Blood Sweat and Tears Mark II (though I like the Al Kooper version a lot), but this is a very good answer to the question posed by this thread. I should have thought of it myself, as I remember this being remarked upon at the time of the single's release.

24. MikeM

MikeM Senior Member

And the above reminds me that, while perhaps he doesn't rise to the "really good" standard, many probably don't know that the iconic guitar intro to The Hollies' "Long Cool Woman (in a Black Dress)" was played not by their lead guitarist Tony Hicks, but by lead singer Allan Clarke, who only rarely played guitar on stage.

Comet01 likes this.
  25. mbd40

mbd40 Steely Dan Fan

Wow. I know him for the crappy Longer and this is much better!

MikaelaArsenault, carlwm and Fox67 like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.