Single edits that are better than album versions

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by sgraham, Sep 10, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

The download stores sometimes mis-label things.

2. Tom Kitch

Tom Kitch Forum Resident

I much prefer the single version of "The Diamond Sea" by Sonic Youth. The 20 minute CD version is far too ponderous for my tastes.

BadJack, Andrew and Surly like this.
  3. ToneLa

ToneLa Forum Resident

I prefer "There She Goes" original single as it is less pristine than the Lillywhite version - the middle 8 especially, but the chiming guitars soar in the original, it casts a spell

c-eling likes this.
  4. ToneLa

ToneLa Forum Resident

The Lillywhite version of "There She Goes" as found on the LP:

5. c-eling

c-eling They're made of light,We never would have guessed

More energy contained on the single edit/remix
    Bigod 20-On The Run, 1992

6. john morris

john morris Everybody's Favorite Quadron

Don't get me started on that. Believe it or not there are some people who actually like the butchered single edit of "25 or 6 to 4."

7. sunking101

sunking101 Forum Resident

The Prince - Madness. I find that the single version has a much more satisfying ending.

8. PTgraphics

PTgraphics Senior Member

Well I bought the Hi Res download from Acoustic Sounds but the mastering is really compressed. Bummed to say the least.

9. john morris

john morris Everybody's Favorite Quadron

What is the point of Hi Res downloads if they are gonna compress the crap out of them?

10. PTgraphics

PTgraphics Senior Member

Exactly. Got burned again.

sunspot42 likes this.
  11. sunspot42

sunspot42 Forum Resident

This is why I've slowed my acquisition of high res content way, way down.

12. hugo.polo

hugo.polo Forum Resident

Not strictly an edit since it's a different recording, but the US single version of Hocus Pocus by Focus. It's faster, more energetic and gets to the point quickly. The 6 minute LP version is fine, but gets tiring after a while.

13. Grant

Most of the time, they just take the same master they created the CD from. It's not like they usually make a different CD master. They are both brickwalled. "Most" people do not care.

How so?

14. hugo.polo

hugo.polo Forum Resident

I just checked and there were actually two single versions. The first one was the same recording as the LP just abridged (never heard this version). The second was a rerecorded faster version which was released for the US market.

15. dmiller458

dmiller458 Forum Resident

16. dmiller458

17. Grant

Hmmm...I have the album version and it sounds the same to me, just edited. There is another version that doesn't have the accordion and whistling in it. Is that the one you're talking about? It's the one my local radio station played, and is on at least one JCI compilation CD.

I found a U.S. 45 of it and it has the accordion and whistling in it.

18. dmiller458

Both those tunes have tighter arrangements than the longer album tracks. IMO the singles are more remixes than they are edits.

19. hugo.polo

hugo.polo Forum Resident

Yep the one I meant was the version without accordion. I believe that was the version that was more popular on the radio too. I never heard the LP version single edit though.

20. Eleventh Earl of Mar

Eleventh Earl of Mar Somehow got them all this far.

New Order - The Perfect Kiss

Thank you whoever on the forum said it was the best extended mix ever. It absolutely is no joke.

pablo fanques likes this.
  21. lv70smusic

lv70smusic Senior Member

I just searched YouTube for Hocus Pocus single version and found something that's labeled a US version. I honestly don't think I've ever heard that version before but I assume it's the one you are referring to. The only two versions I remember were the full length album version and the edit of that same recording that was played on top 40 stations. Maybe it was a geographical issue, but I wouldn't say that the US version was more popular on radio in the Detroit area since I remember hearing Hocus Pocus a lot when I was a kid and I never heard that version before.

22. Grant

Frankly, I was devastated when I found that the one with the accordion and whistling was the U.S. single version.

23. smallworld

smallworld Forum Resident

Natalie Imbruglia - "Wishing I Was There". The Album version has an obtrusive male backing vocal at one point - mixed way up, almost like a duet vocal. It's thankfully not on the Single version. The Single version is also 20-something seconds longer. Unfortunately, the Album version is on her Singles collection, which is rather baffling.

24. Jason Manley

Jason Manley Senior Member

Can anyone give me some background on this version of "Time Has Come Today" by the Chambers Brothers? It's a stereo mix but is only 3:31 in length. It doesn't match any of the track lengths listed on Wikipedia.

Thanks

Last edited: Oct 30, 2017
  25. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

I have to add one single edit that is horrendous...Aime-Pure Prairie League...they took out the lead guitar break! man did that change the song.

pablo fanques likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.