Single edits that are better than album versions

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by sgraham, Sep 10, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bRETT

bRETT Senior Member

There is an alternate version (a different faster recording) that was on the B-side of the US single.

2. Surly

Surly Bon Viv-oh-no-he-didn't

I'm sure many people here have said that, and I'm one of them. I consider it as such because it is a "complete" song - not just an "extended version" that was created by repeating sections of a song, adding effects, etc. It's really the only way to listen to this song. Even the sleeve is perfect!

c-eling likes this.
  3. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

For you and @lv70smusic

The version I am talking about isn't on YouTube at all, and it is not a re-recording or runs faster. It is an edit of the album version, but does not have that accordion part. It is on a JCI CD called "Electric 70s". I have it. The one i'm talking about is the one that was played on my local radio station in the summer of 1973. No one seems to be able to tell me where that edit came from. The time is about 3:37.

4. Kiss73

Kiss73 Forum Resident

Ace Frehley - Gimmie A Feelin'

For some reason they edited the album version before the end of the song.

But then again this is the same album that took a horrific cover version of The Joker, and provided an extended version as a bonus track. Go figure....

5. c-eling

c-eling Dinner's In The Microwave Sweety

I have this Sony compilation. Booklet states it's from the album of the same name CS-9522 3:33
    The Chambers Brothers - The Time Has Come

Jason Manley likes this.
  6. Grant

It's just another edited version of the same album length song.

Jason Manley and c-eling like this.
  7. bzfgt

bzfgt The Grand High Exalted Mystic Ruler

Better mix on single:

The Fall "Free Range"

8. Jason Manley

Jason Manley Senior Member

Thanks

9. c-eling

I wish it would of stated 'what' 7 inch this was taken from. Just gave the album cat. #
    Now I have to check out the full length, I don't think I've ever heard it.

Jason Manley likes this.
  10. Jason Manley

Jason Manley Senior Member

I was looking at the track length and the labels listed on Discogs and could not find anything that matched this edit. Plus, I would assume this is some modern 'edit' because it's stereo. And, I would assume (maybe incorrectly) that Columbia was still releasing mono singles in 1968. So this has to be some modern interpretation of an 'edit' for this track.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

c-eling likes this.
  11. HotelYorba101

HotelYorba101 Senior Member

I always liked the single mix of Hammer to Fall by Queen

pablo fanques and John Adam like this.
  12. Sabbath

Sabbath Forum Resident

Well isn't that something.

13. Sabbath

Sabbath Forum Resident

Not if you've read Paul Kantners comments about it.

14. Mylene

Mylene Senior Member

Suite Judy Blue Eyes. Everything that's left out of the single version is just filler.

15. Grant

I have, many decades ago. What I posted is what I read. The thing is, a lot of songwriters like to change the meaning and intent of their songs way after the fact. Sting, John Lennon, Don Henley, and several others are known for this fickleness.

16. kiefer2

kiefer2 Eastern European knockoff Mr. Potato Head

Always preferred the single edit of "Total Eclipse of the Heart" to the album version. I always hated the clunky sounding extra verse.

altaeria likes this.
  17. Steve Carras

Steve Carras Golden Retriever

The US single edit on any station I've heard is the album version edit, with these breaks:

1 yodel (instead of four as on the album version, on "Moving Waves")

crazy flute solo

accordion+whistling

Also the re-arranging of guitar solos--the one at the end of the US version that I mention, with the strange sounds right before the end, was actually,on the LP verison,
    before the flute solo, and in turn another drum roll ends the US single. The other, previously mentioned, speeded up one, which I downloaded once, is nothing like it but is as described, with
    different break-solos than mentioned and a different recording.

18. Steve Carras

And of course if you have the FULL album length, it goes on and on with backwards stuff.

Stuff like:
    Number nine number nine
    number nine number nine
    and has all sorts of somewhat creepy, nightmarish, typical 1960s pschye-stuff. LOL

19. Steve Carras

Like what, there's no video lol!

20. Sabbath

Sabbath Forum Resident

I never knew that was the intent. If that’s the goal then the album version accomplished it well. Interesting.

pablo fanques and Grant like this.
  21. mark e

mark e Forum Resident

just heard this now (been in archive for years !), and damn, you are spot on.
    so good.

c-eling likes this.
  22. mark e

mark e Forum Resident

saw the shamen twice.
    the gorbie era when they were learning how to use machines but still with a lot of guitars,
    and then during their full on rave era just before will died (eskimos and eygypt and mixmaster morris as the supports !)
    they were absolutely brilliant.
    if it weren't for that one cheesy hit, they would be a lot more loved methinks

c-eling likes this.
  23. c-eling

Been searching for a full length or extended of the 98 for years Mark (which probably doesn't exist) :laugh:
    Figured at least a promo would of been done since it was exclusively done for this comp.

mark e likes this.
  24. mark e

mark e Forum Resident

agreed.
    they used to do so many versions, but i suspect you are right.
    i only picked up this 2cd comp a few years ago and then buried it.
    but every track is a different version to the album versions !
    i had no idea.
    just a shame about the cr*p coverart.

c-eling likes this.
  25. c-eling

A poor representation of earlier work, sadly.
    1995 had a 2x12 and a single 12 Promo of MK2A, with a nice 'extended' Beatmasters Vox 12 -5:43, but it's nothing like the 98. I was only able to get the single 12 inch, the 2x12 states a different title for an extended but not sure if it's identical or not. Import shipping prices have scared me a bit. Not sure I want to risk it.

mark e likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.