Siouxsie & The Banshees vinyl reissues 2018*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by jimod99, Jan 27, 2017.

1. Scott Davies

Scott Davies Forum Resident

Nothing official. Someone found a new release date of August on some website. Severin has been asked several times by a few people on the FB page if he would comment. While he continues to post negative messages bashing Budgie, he's been ignoring any questions about releases. It was good to see some of the other members telling him that he's being a jerk by coming out just to say something bad about a former band member, but that's in addition to the majority of members making sure to keep their head firmly up his a**. So the answer is no official news.

The Scream is a picture disc so sound quality is not what it should be purchased for. It does come with a download code for a new HD transfer of the masters, and that was worth the price alone.

noahjld and jimod99 like this.
  2. Neonbeam

Neonbeam All Art Was Once Contemporary

An answer that basically is saying nothing:righton:

3. bob60

bob60 Forum Resident

That applies to 99.9% of anyone who uses Facebook. I have taking a look at it several times, checking out friends profiles as well as artists. It is like some weird world were everyone calls you hun, tells you how fantastic you are, how fabulous you look etc etc.
    Talk about a circle jerk....

D.B. and Derek Slazenger like this.
  4. Scott Davies

Or maybe you're just too inept to understand. Doesn't everyone know that picture discs are generally inferior with lots of rumble and surface noise? I mean did you think it was going to be audiophile quality? The answer clearly indicates the sound quality comes with the included download code, not the pretty spinning picture.

noahjld likes this.
  5. noahjld

noahjld Der Wixxer

Pictures discs are awful,sound quality wise.

6. Neonbeam

To me it looks like you were "too inept" to answer the question ("... any good in sound quality?") properly but rather happy to imply that basically all picture discs would sound the same. Which is definitely not the case. Some picture disc are absolutely worthwhile, others are virtually unlistenable. A proper answer would have been indefinitely more interesting than repeating an age old cliché.

....and another one:edthumbs:

7. c-eling

c-eling Dinner's In The Microwave Sweety

This one surprisingly plays quiet, 1 other I picked up for collections reasons has a huge ocean as background music- wall art only :laugh:
    I think there are two distinct manufacturing processes that go into these type of releases
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 8, 2017
    Neonbeam likes this.
  8. Neonbeam

I've also got some great pds that play quiet and sound good - "Fever To Tell" by the Yeah Yeah Yeah comes to mind. While it's understood that sonics are going to be compromised, that there will be a certain amount of hiss some picture discs can still sound good. The question is: Do they have so much surface noise that they could be viewed described as "unlistenable"? The original 1994 pressing of "The Holy Bible" by Manic Street Preachers comes to mind.

And let's face it: Whoever buys this "The Scream" - or any other - pd wouldn't expect "audiophile quality" and most likely already has at least another pressing at home. So the real question is: Does this pd sound like a campfire?

c-eling likes this.
  9. c-eling

If I were going to buy this picture disc 'The Scream', it would be for collection reasons, I would never go into assuming it would be a daily player for me. But who knows stranger things have happened. I trust Scott's ears so it looks like the magic lies in the download, if one is purely buying for SQ reasons only.

10. Neonbeam

Well... "Scott" doesn't actually say how the "Scream" picture disc sounds :wiggle:

11. Scott Davies

It sounds like a standard picture disc, it has a lot of rumble (or drag, whatever you want to call it) due to the picture pressed in the middle, and it has greater crunchy surface noise than one would prefer. But the music sounds as it should, despite the inherent effects of the format.

12. JeffMo

JeffMo Format Agnostic

Scott you can't call out Severen for being a jerk on FB and then resort to name calling on this forum.

13. Scott Davies

Severin's are often unprovoked.

14. TheSeldomSeenKid

TheSeldomSeenKid Forum Resident

Just getting int Vinyl, I have taken the advice on this Forum that it is best to void Picture Disc, but I read several good reviews on the RSD Picuture Discs for the The Cure's Greatest Hits and the Acoustic Verion of the same album. Does anyone know why those Picture Discs seem to have been made with good sound quality(was there a different process to make them?).

I was interested in the Picture Disc for Pink Floyd London 1966-1967, but did not get out to any places on RSD, and the prices are getting way too high now by secondary sellers on the Internet, but have not even read any reviews on the quality of that Picture Disc anyways, like I read on here for The CURE Greatest Hits.

15. c-eling

No clue. But if I were ever going to buy another one, wall art would be my first priority. If it happens to sound descent well it's an added bonus. That's kinda how I look at em...
    Not sure if that Cure add's any benefit SQ wise being on this format. The 2001 2 CD set can be had for quite cheap

tin ears likes this.
  16. TheSeldomSeenKid

TheSeldomSeenKid Forum Resident

Yeah it was as artwork that the Picture Disc for Pink Floyd London 1966-1967 interested me, and would have paid the regular price in RSD if around $25( it is only 2 songs at 28 Minutes), but now sold for $90 or higher, that is too expensive as artwork, unless a person is well off financially and can pay that price to frame it. Who knows, as maybe it also sounds good though like The CURE Picture Discs.

c-eling likes this.
  17. Jim B.

Jim B. Senior Member

They are releasing 'normal' versions of those Cure RSD albums soon so, if you intend to buy to play, then get those.

I have a couple of recent Universal picture discs (Ruts and Skids), they were on sale on their site so were only £8. I wouldn't recommend them for playing purposes, better off getting an original or 80's reissue. I think these are probably made on the cheap somewhere.

Not all PDs are bad though. I have a few late 80's/early 90's WEA 12" singles by Nirvana, REM, Prince which sound superb whoever was making them back then did a great job.

But it seems like less QC goes into vinyl these days, and PD are more of a gimmick now than ever.

tin ears and TheSeldomSeenKid like this.
  18. Ben Adams

Ben Adams Forum Resident

The Scream picture disc - at least my copy of it - is horrible. Literally one of the worst picture discs I've ever heard.

The hi-res download code that came with it is spectacular.

Neonbeam and c-eling like this.
  19. Stuart S

Stuart S Back Jack

All this is a really sad read. Such a great band content on ruining their legacy. Do they hate each other and their prior work that bad?

20. Ben Adams

Ben Adams Forum Resident

That's a really good question. The RSD edition of Join Hands had me thinking otherwise, but since then it's all been ham-fisted bun vending.

The Banshees and Skinny Puppy are literally the last bands for which I've been awaiting vinyl reissue campaigns. But with the Banshees, I think I may just go ahead and hunt down originals in VG+ or better. I'm tired of this.

Neonbeam, c-eling and Stuart S like this.
  21. Stuart S

Stuart S Back Jack

I was looking forward to getting copies of Tinderbox, Kaleidoscope, Peepshow and Superstition on vinyl. Not sure anymore.

c-eling likes this.
  22. Ben Adams

Ben Adams Forum Resident

Y'know, forget it ... I'll just replace my Skinny Puppy CD collection up through Rabies from Amazon, and order the used Siouxsie albums I need through Discogs.

Simple as.

That was a remarkably satisfying and liberating decision.

c-eling likes this.
  23. c-eling

You've a bigger wallet than I buying old Puppy on vinyl via Amazon Ben :laugh:

24. Ben Adams

Ben Adams Forum Resident

Oh no, I'm getting the CDs, which I used to own but idiotically sold about a decade ago. I'm not a vinyl purist. Not at those prices.

25. c-eling

:laugh:
    I was kind of worried man! Those old disc's sound great :righton:

Ben Adams likes this.