Siouxsie & The Banshees vinyl reissues 2018*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by jimod99, Jan 27, 2017.

1. Neonbeam

Neonbeam All Art Was Once Contemporary

I guess picture discs can never sound as good as regular vinyl because they are basically made like a 5 layer sandwich where two slices of paper are put around a vinyl core and topped with two layers of clear vinyl.

The hiss or fuzz will always be there but if done right you can turn the volume up and still enjoy the music. If done wrong it's rice crispies.

I guess the main reason to release "The Scream" only like that was that someone seemed to be aware that actually a lot of people already have this album. So a gimmick seemed necessary to play the "collectors item" card. Ironically this is my least favourite Banshees sleeve.

TheSeldomSeenKid likes this.
  2. noahjld

noahjld Der Wixxer

Sounds like the great fire of London (September 2nd to 5th 1666) rather than a "campfire".

3. Neonbeam

....then this is downright grotesque. I mean... if IF they are doing a picture disc at all they might as well make sure that it sounds as good as it can. The last picture disc I had like that was the "Solaris" soundtrack. Which I duly returned.

noahjld likes this.
  4. latheofheaven

latheofheaven My Pants are FULLY Analog...

Wow, I haven't heard ANYONE mention Skinny Puppy forever! I still have a few of their vinyl albums that I purchased new when they came out. I haven't listened to them in FOREVER, but if I remember correctly they sounded pretty good, at least Too Dark Park I remember having quite a powerful sound to it IIRC... Oh yeah, I think there was an album by them called 'Vivisect' or something like that; that one REALLY kicked some serious @ss!

Last edited: Sep 2, 2017
  5. latheofheaven

So, I'm assuming there is no new information about any of this (otherwise you guys would be 'talking' about it [​IMG])

I have just about every Siouxsie album on U.S. vinyl; I'm not sure what pressings as I've not listened to them in a LONG time. All I seem to remember is that Peep Show sounded REALLY digital; shame too, since it is a very good album...

Oh yeah, I had to check my album list, but I also have a German pressing of 'A Kiss in the Dreamhouse'; I THINK it sounded pretty good when I listened to it right after I bought it...

alexpop likes this.
  6. Scott Davies

Scott Davies Forum Resident

The delay has now likely been explained. I guess Severin posted recently on his personal Facebook page that he suffered blood clot in his lungs and is recuperating. With his kidney transplant a couple years ago, now this, one wonders how much longer he will be around. Hopefully he can pull through.

Rne, bob60 and noahjld like this.
  7. latheofheaven

GEEZ... wow, the poor guy... Thanks kindly for the information mate!

alexpop and bob60 like this.
  8. Stuart S

Stuart S Back Jack

Hopefully hes with us longer, we need him to ridicule us here at the SHF once and a while.

9. Ben Adams

Ben Adams Forum Resident

Decided to bite the bullet and started looking at used Siouxsie vinyl again on Discogs.

Can we talk again about how cheap and plentiful nice copies are in Europe? :nyah:

Here's a link fur Juju, for instance.

It would be far less expensive to buy good new reissues than to buy nice copies from overseas and have them shipped to me.

factory44, Krzych and latheofheaven like this.
  10. latheofheaven

I don't know anything about these specific pressings, but the NM one from Portugal for about $26 looks good to me :)

11. Neonbeam

Just revisited "Superstition" - a Dutch vinyl original - and have to say, it's great! Yeah, it's poppy but the songs are good and the singing is terrific. Reviews were so-so in 1991 but I'll have to say that once you get rid of the history of this band, it's a great, really creative album. It sounds like a band willing to look ahead. And it certainly doesn't sound like anyone else! :righton:

12. c-eling

c-eling They're made of light,We never would have guessed

Now you have to grab the singles for the b-sides and mixes Neon :winkgrin:

jamesc, Neonbeam and latheofheaven like this.
  13. latheofheaven

Absolutely! It's Siouxsie Bro! [​IMG]

***EDIT

In my lowly and wretched opinion, the very WORST Siouxsie album is easily ORDERS OF MAGNITUDE better than most of the label-controlled, homogenized CRAP these days! [​IMG]

jamesc and Rekkerds like this.
  14. Ben Adams

Ben Adams Forum Resident

Hey, guess what? Preorders are back up on Amazon US for the same vinyl reissues that got cancelled previously.

Juju & Tinderbox - August 17
    Superstition - Sept 14

Pavol Stromcek, jimhb, Krzych and 4 others like this.
  15. mestreech

mestreech Forum Resident

That's very good news now hope they will be released.

latheofheaven likes this.
  16. latheofheaven

Awesome, thank you Ben! :righton:

It's good to hear from you. I was beginning to think that I would have to start looking for a cattle prod! :winkgrin:

17. Scott Davies

Scott Davies Forum Resident

It turns out there's a gold vinyl edition of Juju coming out next month ONLY available in stores in the UK, HMV that is. Limited to 1000. I expect the price is going to be insane for anyone not in the UK. I don't think I'm going to make much effort to get it, though I wouldn't mind having it.

18. Pavol Stromcek

Pavol Stromcek Senior Member

Wonder if these LPs will actually be any good, or if they'll be botched by shoddy pressing or some other issue.

19. Ben Adams

Ben Adams Forum Resident

Gold vinyl with black to follow! Obviously someone either at the band or the label knows Juju is their masterpiece.

20. Black Magic Woman

Black Magic Woman Forum Resident

This is the first Siouxsie thread I’ve ever seen. I like her version of The Passenger way more than I like Iggy’s. I like her style also, what song would you recommend me? What are her best songs?

21. Rne

Rne weltschmerz

What's best is something you have to decide for yourself. If I had to recommend one of their albums I would immediately say Juju, but that's subjective. Here's a thread you might find more useful: Any Banshees Fans here?

22. Ben Adams

Ben Adams Forum Resident

Since you mentioned “The Passenger,” start with this YouTube playlist: Siousxie & Banshees Twice Upon A Time - YouTube

And then go back to this playlist for earlier stuff:

Once Upon a Time: The Singles (1981) - YouTube

Then just check out the albums. :)

23. Black Magic Woman

Black Magic Woman Forum Resident

Thank you! I’ll take a look :)

latheofheaven and Rne like this.
  24. latheofheaven

Her earlier stuff is rawer and more Punkish, the later stuff is more 'Poppy' but still very well constructed. Kaleidoscope & Tinderbox are about in the middle. I can't remember if it is Tinderbox that has Dear Prudence (might be Through The Looking Glass...) if so there are a couple of nice mainstream singles on it. If you like the Siouxsie stuff, I would HIGHLY recommend THE CREATURES & THE GLOVE (I believe THE GLOVE has Robert Smith on it from THE CURE)

25. Pavol Stromcek

Pavol Stromcek Senior Member

"Dear Prudence" is on the US version of Hyaena. Tinderbox has the excellent "Cities in Dust" single. Both are great albums.