Siouxsie & The Banshees vinyl reissues 2018*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by jimod99, Jan 27, 2017.

1. Ben Adams

Ben Adams Forum Resident

Especially if they botch the artwork.

2. JeffMo

JeffMo Format Agnostic

:D - I admit to loving the Once and Twice album art, but I assume your point is that music matters!

Ben Adams likes this.
  3. Ben Adams

Ben Adams Forum Resident

I love the artwork too, but yeah. :)

JeffMo likes this.
  4. dezz

dezz Forum Resident

So the latest batch turned up this morning.... The Rapture's still not a great cover, but no complaints with the others even if (as expected) Hyaena isn't embossed. Have only managed to play Kaleidoscope so far, and at the risk of sounding like a stuck record it sounds fantastic.

5. latheofheaven

latheofheaven My Pants are FULLY Analog...

Awesome! So, if anyone happens to have the original US of these and can compare, that would be great, thanks!

dezz likes this.
  6. Mathew

Mathew Forum Resident

I am excited about these! I have to wait until Christmas (or after) to buy, though because my spouse and I stop making any purchases for ourselves October-December.

dezz likes this.
  7. Pavol Stromcek

Pavol Stromcek Senior Member

Ah, man - you should have have preceded this detail with a spoiler alert! :) We here in the US aren't getting these until 12/21, and I kinda wanted to experience the disappointment of it not being embossed firsthand when opening the package from Amazon.

But in all seriousness, I'd have bet money on it not being embossed, so I'm really not surprised.

Ben Adams, dezz and latheofheaven like this.
  8. jimod99

jimod99 Daddy or chips? Thread Starter

I have both a glow in the dark and a black Geffen, I bought the 2lp today (both discs were slightly warped) but an initial listening suggests that it is better than the single album, which being truthful wouldn't be difficult.

Neonbeam, tin ears and latheofheaven like this.
  9. latheofheaven

latheofheaven My Pants are FULLY Analog...

Thank you kindly! I pretty much figured so... You are referring, then, to Rapture, right...? I have the 1st US Geffen, and it honestly doesn't sound too bad. But, like Ben said, the 2-LP treatment if it is ANYTHING at all like Supercilious, should be pretty impressive, I would think...

Ben Adams likes this.
  10. dezz

dezz Forum Resident

my apologies - SPOILER ALERT!!

Listened to Peepshow today and it's another excellent job - so many times throughout the listen I heard instruments that sounded like they were there in the room with me... those first grunts of the cello at the start of Burn Up... the drumbeat that introduces The Last Beat Of My Heart... and those EPIC shrieks that finish Rhapsody! I always think of Peepshow as a "Winter" album, and we've got snow coming tomorrow. Time to hibernate.

tin ears, jimhb, Echoes Myron and 2 others like this.
  11. dezz

dezz Forum Resident

I used auntie's Christmas money - I'm sure she'd tell me to grow up if I told her I blew it all on records, so as far as she knows she got me the brand new winter coat (that was actually £8 in a charity shop) instead.

12. steviebee

steviebee Always playing Ese and The Vooduu People

Thanks for this!
    I didn't know of it beforehand.
    Abbey Road Half-Speed to boot! Will go nicely with my original UK copy.

Ordered for collection at the East London store :)

Echoes Myron likes this.
  13. aerostace

aerostace Under the stairs, beneath the stars

:laugh:

14. Ben Adams

Ben Adams Forum Resident

One week to go here in the US. My pre-orders are fully paid by gift card and better not be delayed - although if there's inclement weather I'll forgive Amazon.

15. Porkpie

Porkpie Forum Resident

Got Peepshow today. Fair amount of surface noise, are others finding this? My copy of Through the Looking Glass is silent so am surprised.

16. Pavol Stromcek

Well, I went through five copies of Juju that all had some degree of surface noise, but my copy of Dreamhouse is quiet, so I guess I'd say I'm not surprised at your predicament.

patient_ot, Porkpie and latheofheaven like this.
  17. Porkpie

Porkpie Forum Resident

Wow. Did you get a good copy in the end? I currently have the same issue with Kate Bush’s 50 Words For Snow (currently on copy 3 or 4)

18. Pavol Stromcek

Nope - I gave up out of fear that Amazon would flag my account for exchanging so many copies! It's mainly just crackling in the right channel during the intros to "Spellbound" and "Night Shift," but all copies had it. I figured if five copies are problematic, there's a good chance that a huge number of them were pressed that way and that my odds of finding a quiet copy were pretty much zero (though a couple people claim to have perfectly quiet copies).

latheofheaven and patient_ot like this.
  19. Porkpie

Porkpie Forum Resident

I don’t know how Amazon operate their banning policy but from the comments I’ve read it seems to be aimed at people who get constant refunds (as opposed to exchanges, meaning they still pocket your money).

Before when I’ve had several copies with the same issues I’ve left in 6 months, ordered again and it’s been perfect.

Pavol Stromcek and latheofheaven like this.
  20. tin ears

tin ears Forum Resident

Can't offer an opinion on Peepshow I'm afraid as it's next on my list to get, but I did pick up The Rapture yesterday. An excellent, defect free pressing from Optimal thankfully.

Like the previous CD remaster it uses the Mark Saunders mix of Stargazer instead of the original, which is something I'm fine with as it is the better version. Forever and the title track have been switched in the running order to accommodate the latter getting it's own side.

On the whole I'd say it sounds very good. However, like some other half speed remasters it verges on being a slight touch light on the bottom end on a couple of tracks, in comparison to previous CD editions that is, but it's really nothing to be overly concerned about and something I only really noticed when doing a direct comparison under headphones. Probably way better than the groove crammed original pressing anyway I would imagine (which admittedly I've never heard).

In summary - nice pressing and a good effort overall, worth a purchase.

Mathew and latheofheaven like this.
  21. Porkpie

Porkpie Forum Resident

I’ve got a replacement Peepshow coming tomorrow so will let you know how that sounds

22. tin ears

tin ears Forum Resident

Please do. Hope your run of bad luck clears up soon, I've had them myself and feel your frustration.

If anyone gets Hyaena, please let us know your thoughts too. I'm curious to see if they've managed to clean up the murk like they did with Dreamhouse.

Porkpie likes this.
  23. tin ears

tin ears Forum Resident

Is there no download cards with this batch? Just noticed my copy of The Rapture doesn't have one.

24. Bangster

Bangster Active Member

Major disappointement for me as I don't like the radio fm, artificially bassy bloated sound of the mark saunders mix of Stargazer, which spoils the fabulous country and eastern guitars of Jon Klein. This is a pity to touch a hair of the original mix of an album.

How are the other tracks ? Did they keep the weird different mix at the end of Not Forgotten cd remaster 2014 where the vocal harmonies had been dubbed in the last seconds of the song?

25. tin ears

tin ears Forum Resident

Sorry to hear you don't like the Saunders mix. Between this and the new Kate Bush remasters it would appear revisionism is the in thing at the moment. I've not yet noticed any other differences with the rest of the tracks but Not Forgotten is indeed the same as the 2014 remaster.