Sir Daniel Day-Lewis:Is he the GOAT?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by bherbert, Feb 8, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Old Zorki II

Old Zorki II Storm Watcher

When Tom Brady will be introduced to HOF, do you think they would mention, in addition to 6 rings and 9 SB appearances they will also mention the best 3rd down conversion rate in three consecutive games?
    This is spectacular list already.

2. NightGoatToCairo

NightGoatToCairo Forum Resident

My appreciation of Willem Dafoe just grows and grows. He doesn't always feature in the greatest films but he is fascinating to watch. He must surely rank as one of the best actors working today.

3. Monosterio

Monosterio Forum Resident

Eh. Lesser actors have had more. ;)

4. GMfan87'

GMfan87' Forum Resident

Is Newman just a personal favorite ?.. Because I can't see him being listed as a greatest actor.
    He chose many iconic roles that perfectly fit his persona. The greatest role, one his acting stood out in would be The Verdict.
    Lewis was very selective, and personifies each character. When you look at Brando (not taking anything away from his influence and how he came on scene as a young actor) now I don't think he can compare to DDL. He always had his mannerisms and never changed his voice. Besides his eccentricities he was lazy I guess, imagine the career he could of had if he cared.
    PSHoffman was a treasure, very upsetting loss to the film world.
    Jack Lemmon should be up there,too very versatile.

5. audiomixer

audiomixer As Bald As The Beatles

GOAT of all time?!?
    Not by a long shot!!!

6. CaseyJames

CaseyJames Relaxed Fit Jeans Vibe

I think DDL is the best current day male actor. But if he is truly retired, he gets shifted over to the Mount Rushmore of male actors.

Current, working actors, I am really loving Joaquin Phoenix and Adam Driver and the choices they are making.

Philip Seymour Hoffman might be the most under the radar great actor of my generation. His death was a great loss. Almost never a lead, but pretty much always the best in whatever film he was in.

I know people talk Bale as a great actor but I don't know. I think he is a great big studio, mainstream actor but I'd like to see him in smaller, quieter type of films to really get a better sense of his talent.

GodShifter likes this.
  7. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

I didn't think much of Adam Driver as an actor until I saw "A Marriage Story". He was excellent in that. Before that movie, I had only seen him in "Girls" and the awful "Star Wars" movies. He was fine in "Girls" if unspectacular. In "Star Wars" he was absolutely ordinary.

8. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

Well, who is in your opinion then?

9. wavethatflag

wavethatflag God is love, but get it in writing.

I don't think they're awful, but the Lucas prequels are definitely awful. At least the new ones catch the gist of the original three, which is good enough for me. In hindsight, I don't know how good the original Star Wars would have been w/o the sheer luck of Lucas casting someone who'd become a major Hollywood star. And clunky dialogue abounds in every Star Wars film. The entire franchise is based on stupid B-level serials they used to play in theaters.

GodShifter likes this.
  10. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

I'm just not a fan. I shouldn't have called them "awful". I apologize. I've seen them all either due to being a kid myself (the original ones - middle ones I guess technically), then the others for whatever reason (my five year old loves the franchise). They're just not my thing.

GMfan87' and wavethatflag like this.
  11. audiomixer

The list is endless...

12. CaseyJames

CaseyJames Relaxed Fit Jeans Vibe

Watch him in The Report, BlacKKKlansman, and While We're Young. Also, his bit part in Inside Llweyn Davis.

brownie61 and GodShifter like this.
  13. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

Give me 3 to 5 off the top of your head.

14. audiomixer

Kirk Douglas
    Charlie Chaplin
    Cary Grant
    Jimmy Stewart
    Spencer Tracy
    Orson Wells
    Laurence Olivier
    Marlon Brando

15. wavethatflag

Thanks for the sentiment, but no apology needed by me. My bro shares your opinion of the new movies, and do you think he’s apologized to me even once? :D

GodShifter likes this.
  16. wavethatflag

I think Jack Nicholson had "best actor" status for awhile.

a customer and budwhite like this.
  17. wavethatflag

Try The Machinist, which was a small production. Also try The Fighter which is also probably the height of his shape-shifting. As someone from MA, when I saw that film, I couldn't believe how well he nailed working class Lowell.

budwhite and GodShifter like this.
  18. peopleareleaving

peopleareleaving Forum Resident

Here's (15) of the top of my head :

Chaplin
    Welles
    Stewart
    Betty Davis
    Tracy
    Grant
    Katherine Hepburn
    Brando
    Pacino
    De Niro
    Hanks
    Crowe
    DD Lewis
    DiCaprio
    Phoenix

HaileyMcComet and audiomixer like this.
  19. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

Probably not, but he should! You’re a good dude :)

20. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

Christian Bale is a very good actor. He’s another that is extremely dedicated to his craft much like Lewis, J. Phoenix, or DeNiro (before he started phoning it in). Another good actor who doesn’t get much pull is Jared Leto. I think Meryl Streep is quite good as is Judi Dench and Helen Mirren. Saoirse Ronan is impressive as well.

wavethatflag likes this.
  21. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

Great list.

22. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

Meh. The more I see of her, the less I like her.

She can't do a decent US accent to save her life, and she tends to just gesticulate and furrow her brow a lot!

23. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

I haven’t seen her in a ton of stuff, but what I have I’ve been impressed. I’m not, however, the movie aficionado you are. I plead ignorance.

24. jwoverho

jwoverho Licensed Drug Dealer

If you asked the actors in this thread, then most would probably say Brando. He helped to bring about a shift in acting and a more naturalistic style. I would put Montgomery Clift up there too, but his career was cut far too short.

tman53 likes this.
  25. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

I was wholly unimpressed by her in "Little Women" - and I don't like Emma Watson either. She always looks like she's going to cry - even when she's supposed to look happy - and she just moves her eyebrows a lot.

Florence Pugh was good, so it's not just a case where I disliked everything about the movie.

I just think some actors who start as kids peak early, and I feel that's true for Ronan and Watson. Both were skilled beyond their years as kids but didn't develop from there - they got stuck in their ways...

GodShifter likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.