Six Million Dollar Man

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by MikeInFla, Jan 11, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MikeInFla

MikeInFla Glad to be out of Florida Thread Starter

Just picked up season 1 on DVD. Was cheap and I thought worth checking out. I loved it as a kid, I only hope that it has held up and is as cool as I remember. I did skim through a little bit and I have to say it looks good visually. I don't remember ever seeing the pilot. Had no idea Darren McGavin was in the pilot. Will watch when I have time. If decent I make pick up the other seasons.

2. Peace N. Love

Peace N. Love Forum Resident

Six Million Dollar Man was one of my favorites in the mid/late '70s, as a kid, and also the first TV show I owned on home video. Sort of:
    [​IMG]

3. neo123

neo123 Senior Member

One of my favorite shows too as a kid.

I owned one of these and took it to school everyday:

[​IMG]

4. ChadHahn

ChadHahn Forum Resident

When I was a kid I at a friends house for a sleep over. We were watching the Jerry Lewis telethon and Richard Anderson (Oscar Goldman) was at our local station. I called the 800 number and asked if I could talk with him and they put me on the phone with him and put the camera on him as he was talking to me. He asked me what I was doing and when I told him he repeated it on the air so my friends could hear. It was quite a thrill.

Chad

5. JozefK

JozefK Forum Resident

Q: How do you kill the Six Million Dollar Man?

A: With a Seven Million Dollar Bullet.

-- 1970s schoolyard joke

6. SonOfAlerik

SonOfAlerik Forum Resident

I still love the Death Probe episodes.

7. MikeInFla

That's awesome I remember that! My cousin had this and I loved it! Prob no so much now but we used to watch Steve over and over with this thing. I also had the lunchbox. I wanted badly to have the Ben Cooper Halloween costume but could never find it.

[​IMG]

As I said before, I hope the show is as fun to watch as I remember. I was disappointed when I saw the 70's Spiderman shows a few years ago. A buddy at work had them on VHS and I burned him and me copies to DVD and watched it. They were OK but a bit boring.

8. KeninDC

KeninDC Hazy Cosmic Jive

I caught a rerun on a Florida local channel last summer and I had forgotten how square Steve Austin was. I'll be interested in the OP's review.

I believe there was an episode where Mark Spitz (Olympic swimmer) was a guest star. I was also a huge Spitz fan and this blew my little mind. My friend across the street had the 12" doll where you could look through the back of his head through his bionic eye. Cool. And the Bigfoot episodes...

9. Gems-A-Bems

Gems-A-Bems Forum Resident

10. Peace N. Love

Classic '70s-era Halloween costume!

zebop likes this.
  11. dprokopy

dprokopy Senior Member

I had one of those myself. Recently saw one at an exhibit of "retro" toys at a museum here in Seattle. Made me feel ooooold.
    [​IMG]

zebop, Hall Cat, Complier and 9 others like this.
  12. Peace N. Love

I never had one, but coveted my friend's... I think he also came with an engine block to lift. For some reason, that now strikes me as funny. I can't remember if there was an episode that hinged on his being able to lift an engine block...

13. Bingo Bongo

Bingo Bongo Music gives me Eargasms

I prefer the 6 Million dollar woman, sorry!

GoodKitty likes this.
  14. Sarah S. The Hendrix Nut

Sarah S. The Hendrix Nut Well-Known Member

It was my favorite show when I was a kid. I was so sad when they took it off the air.
    I bought all of the seasons on dvd a couple of years ago and I enjoyed watching them for the first time in years.
    This is Bruce Peterson:
    [​IMG]

He was the pilot in the accident used at the beginning of every episode.
    There is an interview with the producer on one of the dvd sets, talking about the real life pilot's injuries. He is exaggerating like crazy.
    Mr. Peterson lost sight in one eye due to an infection, but otherwise recovered.

Here's the video of the crash:

GoodKitty, Hall Cat and MikeInFla like this.
  15. seed_drill

seed_drill Senior Member

She was just The Bionic Woman.

Bingo Bongo likes this.
  16. Peace N. Love

And remember the sense of excitement when they'd team up?

17. seed_drill

seed_drill Senior Member

Did they have artificial nerves in their naughty bits?

Jack Lord likes this.
  18. Bingo Bongo

Bingo Bongo Music gives me Eargasms

Ok, then I like his ex wife Farrah Facet.... :D

GoodKitty and Clanceman like this.
  19. Peace N. Love

[​IMG]

blutiga, Gems-A-Bems and seed_drill like this.
  20. MikeInFla

I found a Power Records podcast and it had these on it. Was good to hear them again. The voice actor sounds like Lee Majors on them and they use the theme and sfx (or something very similar).

Gems-A-Bems likes this.
  21. MikeInFla

Yes, and I just don't remember much more than the "probe" or Bigfoot episodes. And I think one with George Takei. It will be like seeing them for the first time it has been so long. I really hope they are enjoyable. A few years ago I picked up the Buck Rogers complete series and I haven't gotten around to very much of that either. I watched one or two and it just wasn't as cool as it was when I was 8 years old.

KeninDC likes this.
  22. Sarah S. The Hendrix Nut

[​IMG]

There is....
    There was also an action figure that came with what was supposed to be a steel girder or something.

[​IMG]
    I had both of them.
    I even had the Oscar Goldman action figure and I think even the John Saxon character.

[​IMG]

23. Sarah S. The Hendrix Nut

JUST! Whaddaya mean "Just"?!?!?:)

GoodKitty, zebop and seed_drill like this.
  24. seed_drill

seed_drill Senior Member

As far as billing! Though, honestly, these shows were before puberty for me.

25. Mondie

Mondie Forum Resident

Loved this show, it was fantastic TV growing up in the 70's. I however cannot imagine that it has aged well, or that I would enjoy watching it. It may even spoil some great memories to a degree.

GoodKitty likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.