Skippy CD rips fine, but Burned Disc has the same skips

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by BitterMinnows, Oct 27, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BitterMinnows

BitterMinnows Forum Resident Thread Starter

So I have an old, kinda worn '90 copy of Exit.. Stage Left by Rush. When playing the disc in a CD player, it starts skipping after YYZ, at various spots in songs (due to some of the hairlines on the bottom of the disc I assume).

I know sometimes ripping can salvage skippy tracks, and it seemed like it had once I ripped the disc. I listened to the tracks on my computer, combing over the skipping bits especially, but they played fine. So I decided to burn a new, not-scratched disc to play the music from. However, much to my annoyance, the skips were still there, and I can't think of any reason why they should be.

I'm planning on just replacing the disc, but does anyone have any idea why this may have happened? I'm curious.

2. hacksaw99

hacksaw99 Well-Known Member

I'm not entirely sure I follow what you did.
    Did you rip the disc to a lossless format (wav, flac, or other) and your ripping software has the ability to confirm a bit-perfect rip? A successful rip does not necessarily mean a bit-perfect rip.

When you burned the new disc, did you burn the lossless wav (or whatever) files (not a lossy format like MP3) and then played it in your CD player (which seems to have an inferior laser pickup or some other issue compared to the CD drive in your computer)? If so, does the same newly-burned disc play OK using your computer's CD drive that you ripped from?

3. jeffmackwood

jeffmackwood Forum Resident

If you created an image file from the "damaged" disc (say using ImgBurn), and if that image file plays ok on your computer (say using Foobar), then if you use ImgBurn again to write the image file to a clank disc, the disc should sound ok. I've used this exact technique on many occasions to deal with discs that for whatever reason would not play perfectly on a player, but could be copied using a computer.

I'm at a loss to explain what's happening in your case.

Jeff

4. Kinda worn CD?
    CDs don't wear with use!
    Do you mean damaged from regular mishandling?

5. Jim Pattison

Jim Pattison Forum Resident

What program did you use to rip the disc? If it created a log file, can you post that here?

6. AP1

AP1 Forum Resident

What software did you use? The only one I trust is EAC Exact Audio Copy It has an option to verify that copy is correctly taken.

7. Thorensman

Thorensman Forum Resident

I use cd polish first. Get the disc as
    Good as I can.
    Then I use EAC. Now is there are errors
    It reduces them
    Let's you know via a report if its OK.
    Then I burn with Imgburn
    At X 50.
    Usually works fine.
    A standard rip will often transfer rips
    With skips.
    Eac can take up to a few hours if there is a fault as I leaves you with a playable copy.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.