Sky Arts and BBC TV- What's on Today**

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Bink, Sep 26, 2020.

1. Bink

Bink Forum Resident Thread Starter

The thread title has now been amended to include BBC4, so feel free to include any discussions about BBC4 here as well as Sky Arts.

2. Eric_Generic

Eric_Generic Enigma

Quite a decent run of programmes this evening on Sky Arts....a Barry Gibb "Songwriters" (apparently a repeat, but one I missed before), Mystery Girl: Unraveled (which I now discover I have on the DVD of the Mystery Girl 2014 deluxe), and another showing of the Stones' 2013 Hyde Park gig (that I keep meaning to watch).

EG.

3. Eric_Generic

Eric_Generic Enigma

A welcome repeat for the story of Warner Brothers tonight at 10pm. Missed this last year.

EG.

4. idiot bastard

idiot bastard Zappa nerd

Zappa, Beefheart and King Crimson, all discussed in 30 minutes. Not sure who this is aimed at, but obviously not hard-core fans.

Music Icons

Max Florian and Eric_Generic like this.
  5. Eric_Generic

Eric_Generic Enigma

Ha, yes they covered Joni Mitchell's entire career in 23 minutes!

EG.

idiot bastard and Max Florian like this.
  6. Bink

A double bill of one of my favourite 90's bands is on Sky Arts tonight.

Classic Albums is focused on Suede's Coming Up album.

Their Royal Albert Hall concert is also on tonight. I know that has been shown before but I haven't seen it so I have timed that in.

Eric_Generic and Interpolantics like this.
  7. Purple Jim

Purple Jim Senior Member

8. Eric_Generic

Eric_Generic Enigma

All this plus Seal in the Songwriters series!

BBC4's Emmylou night is also great for anyone who's not seen those before. Highly recommend the doc about the Trio project.

Not forgetting the final (80s) part of C5's Favourite Hits series....1989 tonight!

EG.

Bink likes this.
  9. Bink

Paul Simon's 1991 Central Park concert will be broadcast on Sky Arts on Saturday.

I used to have this on VHS and, at least in the UK, has never been released on dvd, so I welcome this broadcast.

10. The Curator

The Curator Forum Resident

I used to watch/record Sky Arts avidly although haven't had much chance in the past couple of years. Something I noticed was a tendency to repeat material a lot (I mean A LOT), so on the upside if you miss something keep a look out and it will probably reappear. Plenty of gems and well worth checking the programming each week.

Eric_Generic likes this.
  11. Bink

I know it doesn't fit the remit of this thread but there are a 3 programmes about John Lennon on BBC2 tonight:

TOTP2: John Lennon Special - an often repeated programme. I do remember a longer TOTP2 which featured Yoko Ono being interviewed. Not sure if this is the same thing.

John Lennon: A Life In Ten Pictures - this is a series that focuses on a different person each episode. I quite enjoyed the Freddie Mercury episode so I will give this a go.

Imagine: Lennon - The New York Years
    This is a repeat of a documentary. I have lost count of the various documentaries made about John's solo career but they are usually worth a look.

12. jcarr73729

jcarr73729 Forum Resident

Get used to it.
    BBC 4 is due to be repeats/archive only, so BBC 2 will pick up the baton for new material.

Bink likes this.
  13. Purple Jim

Purple Jim Senior Member

14. Purple Jim

Purple Jim Senior Member

15. Eric_Generic

Eric_Generic Enigma

Not quite so much on tonight....no new episode of Classic Albums or Great Songwriters from Sky Arts, although C5 continue their "Greatest/Favourite Hits Of..." series with 1991. BBC4 sees the start of the 1991 TOTP repeats.

EG.

Giant Hogweed likes this.
  16. Purple Jim

Purple Jim Senior Member

The Bacharach David programme is terrific.

CaptainFeedback1 likes this.
  17. Porkpie

Porkpie Forum Resident

18. carrolls

carrolls Forum Resident

They pile on the adverts on Sky Arts which can be annoying. With Roger Waters Us And Them there was a 4-5 minute advert break after nearly every song.

MikeMusic and Eric_Generic like this.
  19. Gus Tomato

Gus Tomato Stop dreamin’ and start drivin’ Stevie!

Yes, I just record everything onto the Sky Planner - couldn’t be dealing with that in real time.

20. Bink

This is quite often what makes me buy the blu rays / dvds even if the concert is broadcast on Sky Arts.

I plan to get the blu ray of Pink Floyd's Delicate Sound of Thunder even though it has been broadcast on Sky Arts quite a lot.

I do often cut out the adverts when I know I am going to keep something I have recorded but some of the things I want are often on very late at night or at a time that's not convenient.

This is where BBC4 is more preferable to Sky Arts because it doesn't have any ad breaks.

Eric_Generic and The Bishop like this.
  21. The Bishop

The Bishop Forum Resident

I know what you mean, but I’ve become an expert at zipping through adverts. Just a brief interruption now.

Bink likes this.
  22. Bink

Yes, me too although I have become a little OCD about needing to cut out the adverts.

Having said that, it can be really interesting finding recordings of old adverts. My parents still have a VHS tape of the first films we recorded off the TV when we got a video recorder - Star Wars: A New Hope and Superman 2. We had apparently missed one of the ad breaks and it included an advert for George Harrison's album Cloud 9 which had just been released!

23. serendipitydawg

serendipitydawg Dag nabbit!

And BBC 4 is available on catch-up !

Anyone care to recommend a bargain PVR that would enable me to record Sky Arts from Freeview?

MikeMusic likes this.
  24. The Bishop

When I had my first video recorder, a lovely Hitachi with the remote on a lead, I noticed a late night showing of a complete Jean Michel Jarre concert. I decided to sit up to record it, so I could edit out the adverts. I was pleased with that. When I viewed the recording the next day, I was more than a little vexed to discover I’d recorded the ads and paused on the concert. Doh!

25. The Bishop

I’m a big admirer of Humax.