SL100C Tonearm will not stay all the way up anymore

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Fekx, Nov 25, 2022.

1. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

It's normal, plain and simple. My newer Tech has never done in this in over 2 years of ownership and regular use.

Fekx likes this.
  2. Boltman92124

Boltman92124 Go Padres!!

Plus its easy to adjust the arm lift height with the screw per the manual. I have a 1200M7L (with the gold tonearm) and it has a little bit of movement downward after I lift the arm. Not much though and settles into the same spot each time. Not a problem.

Fekx likes this.
  3. Oelewapper

Oelewapper Plays vinyl instead of installing it on the floor.

It has no impact on play, but yeah... it's like mold growing on the ceiling... if it's not an unhealthy type it's not a problem... but at the same time it still is a problem simply because it's somewhere it shouldn't be... :nyah:

Fekx and Boltman92124 like this.
  4. Lenny99

Lenny99 The truth sets you free.

That is true per my AT LPW40WN, the AT 120X, abs my LP7. I had an issue with the 120 dropping hard. I adjusted the height via a small screw located next to the arm lift. I adjusted the lift on the 40, but I don't remember why.

I'd assume it's the same for that Technics TT. I believe this us the case due to various pic I've viewed of that model.

One thing; I'd contact Technics/Panasonic or perhaps better yet your dealer before I fooled with that TT. Some companies might claim you violated the warranty. 8m not sure.

Fekx likes this.
  5. Boltman92124

Boltman92124 Go Padres!!

Oelewapper I'm going full gold tonearm with gold headshell just to bug you! :hide::pineapple:

Fekx, Ntotrar and Oelewapper like this.
  6. Oelewapper

:biglaugh::biglaugh::biglaugh:

A bit similar to this?

Been there, done that! :D

Fekx, Boltman92124 and Ntotrar like this.
  7. Boltman92124

Boltman92124 Go Padres!!

I want that Concorde bro!

Fekx and Oelewapper like this.
  8. Oelewapper

Sorry pal, those have been discontinued years ago...
    You can still get one used; gold replacement styli are still in production.

Fekx and Boltman92124 like this.
  9. Pali Gap

Pali Gap Whiskey, mystics and men

I assume the screw you turned is the height adjustment for the armlift, on which the tonearm rests. Try raising the armlift a bit to see if it will hold.
    Hold the armlift all the way down with your finger while turning the screw counterclockwise. Then try the cue lever again to see if it still drops. According to the instructions, the acceptable distance between your stylus tip and record surface should be between 8-13mm. You can raise the armlift until your stylus tip is max 13mm above the record.

Fekx likes this.
  10. Lenny99

I think there are several online sites that sell that gold TT used for a bit over $500.

Fekx likes this.
  11. Oelewapper

Really? Doesn’t surprise me though… it’s like everything that gets discontinued immediately skyrockets in price these days.
    eBay is probably a better source; just watch out for gold painted Pro S that they try to pass off as the real deal…

Fekx likes this.
  12. Lenny99

I can't find that TT. I thought it was listed as used on the Musian's Friend site. It could have been sold or I might have been mistaken.

Sorry.

They do sell several high end, used models Technics tables around $500.

Fekx likes this.
  13. Oelewapper

Ah my bad, I thought I read cartridge. Lol.
    The turntable is a white Technics SL-1200M7L. Idk why they would sell it at 500 bucks, since they already come in at about 1200 to 1400 euros at most stores (MSRP back in August was 1099 euros over here).

Fekx likes this.
  14. Pali Gap

Just a reminder about the thread title:
    SL100C Tonearm will not stay all the way up anymore
    Anyone have any helpful comments related to the OP's issue?

Fekx likes this.
  15. Joel S

Joel S Forum Resident

Has anybody noticed or read about the same problem with the 1200GR?

Fekx likes this.
  16. RWAudio

RWAudio Forum Resident

My GR's arm drooped back down a tad for the first few days I had it, but then it went away. From then on it stayed up no problem. The prior GR knock-off's arm (Reloop Turn 5) I had also did the same when it was new.
    Overall, the cue lever and function of these Technics could be better, and you'd think given their price and reputation they would be. At any rate, mine works well enough and has good down dampening so I can't complain really.

Fekx and Joel S like this.
  17. Fekx

Fekx Well-Known Member Thread Starter

Hello guys,

it literally got worse on the weekend, can still spin records but man it feels so cheap, half the tonearm is now shaking when I pull it up.

I contacted my dealer to see if I can get an exchange, I doubt it tho and have to send the unit in for repair service...

VERY dissapointed with these Technics TTs, my first SL100c had an uneven platter which was very noticable with the blank eye, this one has a better platter but now the cue lever is the issue.

I dunno, is 900€ not enough these days for an TT or are my expections to high for decent quality control?

Thanks anysways for all the replys, always good to have this forum for help! :)

Best regards from germany

18. RWAudio

RWAudio Forum Resident

Sorry you're having such bad luck. That's got to be really frustrating. Generally, Technics quality control is among the best in the business. I guess I should consider myself fortunate, as my GR didn't have any issues and seems to be a good one.

Fekx likes this.
  19. KeithL

KeithL Forum Resident

I assume you mean the tonearm judders when you raise it with the cueing lever. There is definitely something wrong if it does this.

Until now I would have said there is little wrong with it if the cueing lever has a bit of free movement at the top of the stroke. However juddering on raising the tonearm is not something I have experiences on my SL1500C.

Get it checked out by your supplier.

Fekx likes this.
  20. Pali Gap

Have you tried to adjust the armlift as I suggested? Not the cure but could provide an improvement.

Sounds like an issue with the internal lift mechanism, possibly some debris in there messing it up. I'd guess it uses some sort of hydraulic mechanism (similar to soft-close hardware). Don't stress- it's a great deck with one flawed part- replacement of the mechanism should make it good as new.

It's unfortunate and frustrating when brand new items don't work flawlessly as expected. At the same time, I'd say try to manage your expectations of absolute perfection, especially in this hobby.

FWIW my 100C auto-lift is totally useless (even after adjustment), and the dustcover came with an annoying bow along the front edge.

Fekx likes this.
  21. Ingenieur

Ingenieur Just a dog looking for a home...

My GR does it if I have the cuing level set very high, an inch or so.
    When adjusted to 1/2", no play.

Fekx likes this.
  22. Pali Gap

Yeah sounds like the mechanism is just poorly designed, not reliable.

Fekx likes this.
  23. Ingenieur

Ingenieur Just a dog looking for a home...

mine is perfect.
    It should be adjusted between 8-13 mm
    Mine is ~12 mm
    If adjusted to 25 mm it is not adjusted properly, user error.

I've investigated too many accidents. I've yet to find one that wasn't due to user error, not following the manual/procedures , lack of training, etc.
    The most common is the simplest.
    Lock out/tag out/verify absence of voltage

The same goes for accidental GSW's
    4 basic rules, observe any ONE and no one gets injured.

Doc Diego, EscapedDrifter and Fekx like this.
  24. Fekx

Fekx Well-Known Member Thread Starter

hey, yes this was the first thing I did even before you write it, I tried all possibilities with the screw on the armlift itself - no dice.

Thanks anyways!

25. Pjotr

Pjotr Well-Known Member

None of the manufacturer of turntables is what it once was. This summer I bought a Sony PS-HX500 as a project and realized that it comes with a generic AT3600 cart, where cantilever sits slant when you put a stylus inside. I replaced the cartridge with Ortofon and threw it away, but broke the contact of a headshell wire. It is not made for a replacement of a cartridge, but comes with a cheap and even faulty cartridge. What kind of product is then that?!!:confused:

Fekx likes this.