Sl1200/10 GR - How far should you pull the lock lever?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Znerk, Jun 12, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Znerk

Znerk Active Member Thread Starter

The VTA lock on my player is insanely hard if I put it in this position(as the manual recommends)

[​IMG]

Do you pull it all the way over there? If, so, is it normal that it is so hard to unlock that I have to use a screwdriver covered in cloth?

2. Znerk

Here is a photo from Technics themselves, and they haven't even pulled it that far:

[​IMG]

Even though the manual clearly states it?

3. Znerk

Be sure to turn the level to the end as shown, you may be required to use some force to do so.

I guess it's normal then!

4. Slick Willie

Slick Willie Decisively Indecisive

The purpose is to keep it from moving.
    I push mine as far as I can with my finger, not using any tools to unlock.
    I test to see if the ring can be moved by hand.
    I do not move mine that far.

5. Znerk

The manual says pretty clearly you should move it that far?
    [​IMG]

6. Davey

Davey NP: Brian Eno ~ Ambient 4: On Land (1982 LP)

A lot of people just leave it unlocked since it does cause a bit of bearing tilt when locked as it jams the threads together on only one side. Not a big deal, but doesn't really need to be that tight.

Ghostworld likes this.
  7. Znerk

Ah okey!

I can easily get it into this position:

[​IMG]

Guess that's enough.

8. Livewire91

Livewire91 Mammagamma Member

Yeah i was wondering the same thing when i set everything up once i unboxed the Table. No way i was going to force pull that knob down, left it at the same position as @Znerk in that picture^

Slick Willie likes this.
  9. Big Blue

Big Blue Forum Resident

Interesting! It’s fine to use without it locked?

I actually have had the same question as the OP. Mine does not go all the way to the right as pictured in the manual. I have reefed on it even harder than I am comfortable doing, and it just doesn’t go any further than what is shown in the second post.

Livewire91 likes this.
  10. Livewire91

Livewire91 Mammagamma Member

[​IMG]
    That's the furthest i go. when i pulled that i told my manual it can go eat itself.

Slick Willie likes this.
  11. Slick Willie

If you are not taking it on the road...fine to leave it unlocked...maybe take a look from time to time.

12. TarnishedEars

TarnishedEars Forum Resident

The ring around the arm on my 1210GR does not turn super easily even when unlocked. So it is unclear to me what the point is of locking it at all.

Claude M and MusicNBeer like this.
  13. Slick Willie

Artifact from DJ use?

TarnishedEars and Big Blue like this.
  14. Big Blue

Big Blue Forum Resident

Right, it does seem like it’s probably secure enough without the lock, yet the manual is clear about not playing with it unlocked. I thought maybe there was some risk of slipping despite the firmness required to turn the ring, but I am inclined to think this might be something that is more of a potential issue if you’re lugging it around places or doing things around the table that might bump and move the ring?

15. TarnishedEars

TarnishedEars Forum Resident

I suspect that as Slick pointed out above, that this was indeed intended for DJ purposes. I doubt that I'd hear a difference one way or the other. So I'm leaving mine unlocked until it has been proven to my satisfaction that locking is beneficial.

Last edited: Jun 12, 2019
  16. punkmusick

punkmusick Amateur drummer

I lock it but not until that position, only until it's tight enough so the ring won't move. About 45 degrees like the picture in the second post of this thread. I never tried to tight it even more.

Big Blue likes this.
  17. Big Blue

Big Blue Forum Resident

I’m just glad I’m not alone. It didn’t seem like I was having any problems with it only about 45 degrees to the right, but it was giving me that nagging “wait, did I get a unit that doesn’t work quite right?” feeling. It seems like the picture in the manual may just be inaccurate.

18. thetman

thetman Forum Resident

just got my 1200gr today and thats about as far as I have mine. don't want to force it anymore.

punkmusick likes this.
  19. Znerk

You can easily get it further with force(and it's made to do so). However to unlock it is very hard. Because of that, I also don't force it longer than where it feels comfortable with my finger.

20. Big Blue

Big Blue Forum Resident

Easily with force? haha

I will tell you I cannot turn it past 45 degrees with all the force I can apply before I feel like I’m going to dislodge the tonearm assembly from the deck. It really, really doesn’t seem like it’s made to go any further. Knowing it would be just as hard or harder to unlock has convinced me to not even attempt turning it any further.

punkmusick and Slick Willie like this.
  21. thetman

thetman Forum Resident

I can be like a bull in a China shop sometimes. I've broke, snapped and busted too many things I never meant to. Not going to test this with my new turntable. :)

Big Blue likes this.
  22. Drewan77

Drewan77 Forum Resident

Same as most people here, pushed to ~45◦ on my 1200G. I change headshells/cartridges quite often and it's v stiff when fully locked down.

23. recstar24

recstar24 Senior Member

This is something I found brought random googling:

Technics vta lock switch on

“just a reminder because i have done this and it makes a big difference in sound , lock the vta switch and make sure you check the arrow for the right lock direction, My 1200 does not have a nice "locked" click to it , but it works, you will see the arm base actually stabilize into position. If it is not locked, it acts and sounds like a loose tonearm bearing. It is easy to think the wrong direction is locked with this tiny switch. When it is actually loose.”

Again this is just some rando on the internet so don’t treat as gospel, but it’s interesting to note.

24. Big Blue

Big Blue Forum Resident

I’m not sure if he’s saying it needs to be all the way to the right, though, is he? He says it doesn’t click into position, “but it works”, so if the ring doesn’t move, are we good?

25. recstar24

recstar24 Senior Member

Again, he’s some rando on the internet so I wouldn’t pay it too much credence :D

I’ve got mine as directed in the manual and it took some force but wasn’t hard for me to lock it like the manual states with one finger. At least visually when you do it that way it does seem to “calibrate” the base of the tonearm into place, but I couldn’t tell you if that is truly needed. I’m a sucker for following manuals and usually follow them to a T and don’t ask questions.

Big Blue likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.