Slade & Glam Rock...

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by siebrand, Feb 12, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. unclefred

unclefred Coastie with the Moastie

I'm 5 songs in, you're right it's a classic rocker. Two kickers to start it out. I guess back then it was too different than the other stuff I was onto and maybe Hoddy's voice bugged me. It's funny they didn't catch on here like ACDC did.

Man at C&A likes this.
  2. unclefred

Also, nice Janis cover!

siebrand and Man at C&A like this.
  3. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

This thread has got me playing Old New Borrowed and Blue. Great stuff! Do We Still Do It? They do.

Slade records often have a strange production where the vocals are recorded very clearly and the backing murky with the drums quite buried in the mix. Gudbuy T' Jane is an example.

siebrand likes this.
  4. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

Look at Last Night and Gudbuy Gudbuy are two of my favourites from that one.

unclefred likes this.
  5. jerrygene

jerrygene Forum Resident

Yes some of the early titles were remastered by Jim Lea- Slade In Flame as well- but when it comes to Sladest there is no mention of him in credits on my UK Polydor being a compilation-
    I may pick up Salvos Sladest for the studio Hear Me Calling but having all of them through Whatever Happened To Slade as well, as well the long box I am assuming the Salvo was sourced similarly-

Since there was no sonic marvel to them in the first place being a fan nonetheless I also have the Feel The Noize UK CD remastered by Astley and Macpherson ( The Who) and the Shout Factory Get Your Boots On -

Indeed there are needledrops running throughout the Salvos.
    The B SIDES and BBC sets are cool as is the Slade Alive 2 cd set overall I am happy with them all.

Last edited: Nov 17, 2019
    Bobby Morrow likes this.
  6. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

A lot of needledrops on the B-sides double CD. Just about all the Polydor era tracks that aren't on albums are needledrops.

Haggis Wampovich and jerrygene like this.
  7. Snark

Snark Forum Resident

I agree.

Man at C&A likes this.
  8. smartiepants

smartiepants Senior Member

Just stumbled across this thread, can't even remember what I was looking for, born in 63 Slade and Sweet were my go to singles, we couldt afford albums but stacked singles up on the old record player along with Suzi Q, glitter band and mud
    Still have many but have been played to death now so rarely get played
    This is great
    [​IMG]
    Still plenty of good stuff around now, as someone earlier mentioned Giuda are great fun and put on a great live set also Rossall one of the founders of the glitter band has a new album out that has that glitter band sound
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 26, 2021
  9. georgs1963

georgs1963 Forum Resident

Every time I read a story about glam rock by a music writer they are saying that it was Bowie,Eno and it sounded smart , artful and important. Growing up in Germany co.ing of age at the time there were 3 quintessential glam rock bands. The Sweet , Slade and T-Rex, it was fun and loud. Never forget The Sweet performing Teenage Rampage on the Musikladen. I occasionally still listen to those 3 bands here and there.

10. unclefred

You are right, I think those writers were just late to the party

Man at C&A likes this.
  11. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

It was as much Alvin Stardust as it was Roxy Music!

bob60, Veronica Mars and unclefred like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.