Sleater-Kinney new Album "The Center Won't Hold"

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by FingerPickin'Triumph, May 23, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Exactly!

2. Spencer R

Spencer R Forum Resident

I was listening to the new single on Spotify and my wife walked into the room and asked “Is this Laurie Anderson?”.

Gavinyl and SimonSaysCake like this.
  3. ...and that's not a bad thing.

4. GentleSenator

GentleSenator what if

are you implying that's what SK has done over the years? because that's definitely not accurate!

this is just ice cold stuff here and i'm not yet sold that the style suits them at all.

twicks likes this.
  5. No not at all. I love all their stuff more or less and have seen them a number of times.

I just love when bands take a chance and try something different and out of their comfort zone.

Then some fans don’t want them to stray

6. Parachute Woman

Parachute Woman Forum Resident

I don't want artists to do the same thing over and over again, and I don't think it's fair to paint fans who dislike this new direction with that brush. It's a radical change and it naturally is not going to appeal to everyone's tastes. I don't like any of the three new tracks at all. Don't like the production, don't think the melodies are strong, simply don't like them. That's fine. I'm not in a frenzy over it. Lots of other music in the sea.

I don't care for Laurie Anderson's music either.

7. Air23

Air23 Active Member

I am looking for one copy of the VMP version:

Vinyl Me, Please

If you have a subscription but you are not interested in the purchase of this ROTM please let me know

8. FingerPickin'Triumph

FingerPickin'Triumph Forum Resident Thread Starter

9. twicks

twicks Forum Resident

New article in the NY Times. Interesting that Carrie feels this is the "mid-period of this band."

JoeRockhead and GentleSenator like this.
  10. Should I feel like an idiot for having never even heard(!) of the name of the band Sleater-Kinney until just a handful of years ago?

Did they have any singles that got any traction on air? I used to listen to a couple alt-rock/alternative stations back in Kansas City in the mid-90's all the way up until around 2003/2005 or so (when I switched over almost entirely to NPR in the car).

This band has eluded my radar my entire life, and to the best of my knowledge - I don't think I've ever heard a single thing by them. Or is there something I might have heard back in the day, that I just never knew who played it?

11. icirider

icirider Forum Resident

I wonder if Annie Clark is actually playing guitar on the new record.....a couple of these tunes sure have her "tone" on them.

GentleSenator likes this.
  12. Parachute Woman

Parachute Woman Forum Resident

They were very much an indie act. I don't think they got major radio play anywhere, at least not during their first run before the hiatus. They did have singles like "You're No Rock 'n Roll Fun" but they weren't exactly burning up the charts, even on alternative radio.

I got into them in 2000 after the release of All Hands on the Bad One. The only reason I heard of them was that I lived for a large chunk of my adolescence in Lacey, basically the bedroom community suburb of Olympia in Washington. That's where the road (Sleater-Kinney Rd.) from which they get their name is located. I've driven on the road thousands of times. And even in that area where they were totally local, I never heard them on local alt radio. I wasn't in the cool circles either because no one I knew had ever heard of them. I picked up All Hands from a "local music" display at a music store.

In high school, I had the names of some of my favorite bands written on the front of my binder. I got multiple perplexed questions from people wondering why I had written the name of a local road on my binder. :)

pexie, Bryan Harris, ajsmith and 4 others like this.
  13. GentleSenator

GentleSenator what if

nah, they've always been supremely indie. although they were called "the best band ever" some years ago and spent a good deal of time on the road with pearl jam.

14. GentleSenator

GentleSenator what if

ok, this one is holding my attention! maybe there is hope...

pexie and JoeRockhead like this.
  15. JoeRockhead

JoeRockhead Forum Resident

not at all. Lotta music out there, can't listen to everything.

16. Spencer R

Spencer R Forum Resident

“Everyone I know is tired / Everyone I know is wired / to machines / It’s obscene” might have been an interesting insight 20 years ago when OK Computer was brand new, but it’s pretty tired now, and it’s even more tired ... when set to robot music.

Sleater-Kinney used to provide a human alternative to cyber alienation, now they’re just part of it.

pexie, mpayan and jedilips00 like this.
  17. twicks

twicks Forum Resident

New photo session appears to have lightened up on the cybershtik, though.

18. Sea Within a Sea

Sea Within a Sea Forum Resident

They got a lot of press and college radio airplay for the song "I wanna be your Joey Ramone" in 1996 when the excellent Call The Doctor album came out. I remember seeing the "Get Up" video on MTV's 120 Minutes in 1999 when the equally excellent The Hot Rock album came out. And I remember seeing them do "Step Aside" on Conan a few years later.

But they never had a single that made it to "alternative" radio. They never appeared on a national TV show that aired earlier than midnight. Until now, that is.

(No, I just remembered their blistering performance of "Jumpers" on Letterman, which aired before midnight in some parts of the country!)

I started going to their concerts in 1999 and I can tell you their fans were (are?) rabid! Unfortunately, the new material has pushed me off the SK train.

Last edited: Jul 31, 2019
  19. pghmusiclover

pghmusiclover Senior Member

20. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

Add me to one who frikin' hates this new direction. Go have a midlife crisis somewhere else. Preferably not on a SK album!

pexie and GentleSenator like this.
  21. GentleSenator

GentleSenator what if

:laugh:

hey man the center won't hold.

mpayan likes this.
  22. twicks

twicks Forum Resident

"I mean it's like, you know, six months from now, I can't see myself missing Janet more than I might miss Ross McLochness, or Ronnie Pudding, or Danny Upham, or Little Danny Schindler, or any of those, you know..."

TeddyB and Bryan Harris like this.
  23. Were you in the audience responding to the new Beatles look and sound with Strawberry Fields Forever in 1967? :tiphat:

Bryan Harris, Robber Soul and cgw like this.
  24. Tristero

Tristero In possession of the future tense

There's not enough Corin vocals on the tracks that I've heard so far. Carrie's voice starts to grate on me after a while, particularly on "Can I Go On". She seems to be really dominating the whole show now.

Zeroninety and kouzie like this.
  25. twicks

twicks Forum Resident

The difference being that S-K is doing a Satanic Majesties here after St. Vincent got there first.

GentleSenator and Mazzy like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.