Sledge Hammer (80s tv show)

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by R79, Sep 21, 2021.

1. R79

R79 Forum Resident Thread Starter

Just got the DVD of this show's first season off of Ebay, really fun stuff so far. Now granted, some knowledge of "cowboy cop" shows/movies (ie, Dirty Harry, Hunter) may be neccesary to get the satire, but even without that it's a really funny show, and even had future Simpsons writers Al Jean and Mike Reiss working on it. Definitely reccomended if you like Police Squad/Naked Gun.

2. Loved the show at the time but trigger-happy cops aren't that funny these days.

3. Toad of the Short Forest

Toad of the Short Forest Forum Resident

Been meaning to watch it actually. Love Police Squad/Naked Gun ... caught a bit of Sledgehammer on TV a while ago and liked what I saw but haven't watched a whole episode yet. Perhaps this thread will be the motivation I need!

4. tonyc

tonyc Forum Resident

A very funny show while it lasted. "Angie Tribeca" tried to copy it more recently but was not as good.

PhantomStranger and Johnny Vinyl like this.
  5. bare trees

bare trees Senior Member

A favorite of mine when it was current. I got the first season on DVD a few years ago and the humor held up well as far as I was concerned.

6. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

Me and my dad used to watch this together when I was a kid. Thought it was hilarious.

altaeria likes this.
  7. Randall DeBouvre

Randall DeBouvre forum resident

in an episode state of sledge john densmore has a small part as the police station's janitor

S. P. Honeybunch likes this.
  8. Randall DeBouvre

there was also appearances by davy jones (sledge/rattle/roll) michael des barres(sledgepoo) and adam ant (icebreaker)

altaeria and S. P. Honeybunch like this.
  9. citizensmurf

citizensmurf Ambient postpunk will never die

I loved this show as a kid. I saw this before I saw Dirty Harry, but I understood the humour. My recollection was that the series was cancelled and the last episode ended with a nuclear explosion, is this a false memory?

Randall DeBouvre likes this.
  10. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

can people enjoy something from long days past when the world was spinning normally without a NEGATIVE? please...geez. it just never ends...can you imagine there were times when people had FUN and took satire for what it was?

jrice, fr in sc, asdf35 and 11 others like this.
  11. swandown

swandown Under Assistant West Coast Forum Resident

I used to love it when the Captain would yell, "HAMMMMERRRRRR!!"

DrStroganoff likes this.
  12. Also loved the show as a kid, and haven’t seen it in years. What was his catchphrase - something like “Trust me, I know what I’m doing”?

audiodefiled and DrStroganoff like this.
  13. nosticker

nosticker Forum Guy

NO! You must be judgmental and joyless. Get with the times.
    --Capt. Facetious

Dan

fr in sc, PH416156 and Michael like this.
  14. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

Indeed...well put my friend...; )

nosticker likes this.
  15. PH416156

PH416156 Alea Iacta Est

Great show that due to the sad PC-obsessed climate we're experiencing, no way would be greenlit today.

chilinvilin and asdf35 like this.
  16. serj

serj Forum Resident

An amazing show. I especially like the episode with a metal group :). BTW, the director of this show later filmed a very, very good movie Beat.

17. DrStroganoff

DrStroganoff Forum Resident

Yep, loved this show! I first caught it on Paramount in the UK in the 90's. Bought the DVD boxset a long time ago, but haven't watched in a good 10 years. Might just pull it out this weekend. David Rasche was great in this show. The Elvis impersonator episode sticks in my memory the most.

That theme tune was awesome too. That's gonna be stuck in my head all day now...

serj likes this.
  18. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

That was probably my favorite episode. Had it recorded on VHS, and used to watch it over and over. Someone clubbing Elvis impersonators to death with a golden microphone! LOL

DrStroganoff likes this.
  19. torcan

torcan Forum Resident

Love it! Got both seasons on DVD. Still makes me laugh every time I pull it out.

DrStroganoff likes this.
  20. skinnyev

skinnyev Forum Resident

I loved this show as a kid as well, my Dad, brother and I would watch this together and always laugh. I’ve been hoping it would show up on a streaming service, but I guess it’s been buried. It’s probably too dated for me to sit through, but it was really funny back in it’s day and I would love to watch some episodes.

21. Randall DeBouvre

some of the episodes are on youtube

22. TheNightfly1982

TheNightfly1982 Forum Resident

I was in middle school when Sledge Hammer ran Friday nights on ABC and never missed an episode. Like others have already pointed out, this show is from an era long gone and that’s part of the reason why I enjoy it even more now. This scene alone would never be allowed to air on network television today.

Last edited: Sep 22, 2021
  23. Django

Django Forum Resident

Vaguely remember watching it.

24. tommy-thewho

tommy-thewho Senior Member

Loved it...

ZackyDog likes this.