SLOAN (the Canadian Beatles) single by single - 1992 to now

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by finslaw, Feb 15, 2022.

1. jalexander

jalexander Forum Resident

Interesting that he talks about pre-Smeared demos that are closer to OCTA. Elsewhere, I’ve heard him talk about about post-Smeared demos that sound like Smeared 2.0, I.e., more shoegaze stuff that was abandoned when they embraced the Twice Removed approach.

gabbleratchet7 likes this.
  2. takensorryuser

takensorryuser Forum Resident

Sloan are back in the US on tour for the next run of shows for their album Steady, in April, and then again in late June. In-between the April and June US Dates, Chris will be performing some solo shows in June, as well as some TUNS-sideproject shows in the Maritimes this May, dates below:

SLOAN:
    Wed 19 April 2023 - Boston, MA, Brighton Music Hall - Time: 7:00pm. Age restrictions: 18+.
    Thu 20 April 2023 - New York, NY, Bowery Ballroom, United States - Time: 7:00pm. Age restrictions: 21+.
    Fri 21 April 2023 - Buffalo, NY, Iron Works, United States - Time: 7:00pm. Age restrictions: 18+.
    Sat 22 April 2023 - Cleveland Heights, OH, Grog Shop, United States - Time: 7:00pm. Age restrictions: All Ages.
    Thu 22 June 2023 - Detroit, MI, St. Andrews Hall, United States- Time: 7:00pm. Age restrictions: All Ages.
    Sat 24 June 2023 - Atlanta, The Garden Club at Wild Heaven Brewery, United States - Time: 6:00pm. Age restrictions: All Ages.
    Mon 26 June 2023 - Carrboro, NC, Cat’s Cradle – Back Room, United States - Time: 7:00pm. Age restrictions: All Ages.
    Tue 27 June 2023 - Washington, DC, Union Stage, United States - Time: 7:00pm. Age restrictions: All Ages.
    Wed 28 June 2023 - Philadelphia, Johnny Brenda’s, United States - Time: 7:00pm. Age restrictions: 21+.
    Thu 29 June 2023 - Brooklyn, Brooklyn Made, United States - Time: 7:00pm. Age restrictions: 21+.
    Fri 30 June 2023 - Portland, ME, Portland House of Music and Events, United States - Time: 7:00pm. Age restrictions: 21+.

TUNS:

May 11, 2023 - Charlottetown, PE - Trailside
    May 12, 2023 - Moncton, NB - Tide and Boar
    May 13, 2023 - Halifax, NS - The Marquee

CHRIS MURPHY:
    June 01, 2023 - St. Catherines, Ontario, Warehouse
    June 02, 2023 - Saint John, New Brunswick, Waterfront Container Village
    June 04, 2023 - Hamilton, Ontario, Mill's Hardware
    June 06, 2023 - Tillsonburg, Ontario, The Mill Underground
    June 07, 2023 - London, Ontario, The Rum Runners
    June 08, 2023 - Collingwood, Ontario, Gibson & Company
    June 09, 2023 - Sarnia, Ontario, Refined Fool
    June 14, 2023 - Montreal, Quebec, Bar Le Ritz
    June 15, 2023 - Ottawa, Ontario, Rainbow Bistro
    June 16, 2023 - Kingston, Ontario, Grad Club

finslaw, jalexander and guerilla1977 like this.
  3. jalexander

An alert brought me back to this post. The new album has aged well for me and Patrick’s songs have really grown on me. There’s an earnestness to his material on this album that I really like and the songs are much better on a proper stereo at volume than on a YouTube stream (and really, isn’t everything?!?).

4. takensorryuser

Apologies for the delayed reply, but the band, along with other local bands, such as Thrush Hermit, did a KISS-themed Christmas show in 1993, wherein all the bands performed KISS covers, at Double Deuce, in Halifax at the time..:)

intv7, Tim 2, Past Masters and 3 others like this.
  5. Stillin Rockville

Stillin Rockville "it's not the band, it's the fans"

I find it one of this site's mixed blessings that old threads re surface after months or longer- especially when I've written something kind of dumb :ignore:. I mean, why *wouldn't* any or all of Sloan been Kiss fans?

Last edited: May 23, 2023
  6. takensorryuser

Murderecords recently issued two new releases (Mur074. 075) when the second annual garage sale happened in Toronto.

MUR074 - is Sloan – Never Heard The Demo Of It (2023, Blue, Vinyl) - Discogs - 2x7" of 4 previously unissed tracks: 3 demo versions of released songs, and one is a outtake from the album sessions.

MUR075 - is Sloan – One Chord to Another - the Demos (2023, Cassette) - Discogs - Limited of 300 run cassette tape release of demos for One Chord To Another, these tracks were originally released as digital download-only accompaniments to the digial version of the OCTA Deluxe on the bands' bandcamp.

Chris started his solo tour yesterday. He's performing tonight in Sain John, New Brunswick.

marc with a c likes this.
  7. jalexander

I’ve ordered the 2x7”, but the cassette doesn’t seem to be available beyond the garage sale.

finslaw likes this.
  8. Mr. D

Mr. D Forum Resident

Is it me or is Chris' itinerary geographically f*ed up?

St. Kitts to New Brunswick and then back east to Hamilton. Not to mention London, then 7 hours north to Collingwood only to head back in a south western direction to Sarnia? o_O

finslaw and gabbleratchet7 like this.
  9. gabbleratchet7

gabbleratchet7 Forum Resident

Feels like me driving my son to travel team baseball games.

steviej, finslaw and Mr. D like this.
  10. takensorryuser

At the Murderecords 2nd annual garage sale on May 27, 2023, Chris was interviewed by members of Sloancast Podcast, in which Chris talked briefly about the Smeared boxed set, and possible shows in the fall, stating:

jalexander likes this.
  11. Jeepster39

Jeepster39 Forum Resident

Wish they could put Between the Bridges back out again on vinyl too.

12. marc with a c

marc with a c Forum Resident

That’s a box I’d be fascinated by.

Jeepster39 likes this.
  13. takensorryuser

Sloan are playing a free concert in Moncton, New Brunswick, for Canada Day.

14. ElevateMeLater

ElevateMeLater Jesus of Cool

takensorryuser likes this.
  15. takensorryuser

16. Tim 2

Tim 2 MORE MUSIC PLEASE

Interesting, didn't no that. :shh:

17. jalexander

finslaw and steviej like this.
  18. Stillin Rockville

Stillin Rockville "it's not the band, it's the fans"

Chris is a busy guy isn't he. Another of his side projects, the Anyway Gang, will be riding the rails across Canada doing free shows at whistle-stops on the CPKC Holiday Train. It's a worthy project, to raise food money and awareness for local food banks.

Holiday Train

finslaw, factory44 and jalexander like this.
  19. finslaw

finslaw muzak to my ears Thread Starter

Watched this whole show, man, Chris is such magnetic frontman. Funny, awkward, complete with smiling through the mistakes. Having them all be songs on acoustic brings forth his lyrics and his chord changes. I didn't know Your Daddy Will Do was that complex:

Stillin Rockville and jalexander like this.
  20. finslaw

Just burned a "Best Singles" compilation that I think I want to give a co-worker who is a Beatles fanatic. Not sure if I should go with that or simply (s)loan her my CD of One Chord to Another, Navy Blues or Never Hear the End of It. I'd loan A-Sides Win but I always felt that that comp starts a bit odd since it is in a style the band didn't really follow. Here is the comp I did covering all 13 albums:

She Says What She Means (with cough)
    The Good in Everyone (single version)
    I Am the Cancer
    People of the Sky
    Coax Me
    Everything You've Done Wrong
    Underwhelmed
    The Lines You Amend
    Keep on Thinkin'
    Losing California
    Don't You Believe a Word
    All Used Up
    The Other Man
    The Rest of My Life
    If It Feels Good Do It
    Who Taught You To Live Like That
    Believe in me
    Witch's Wand
    Unkind
    Spin Our Wheels
    Dream It All Over Again
    Keep Swinging (how was this the album's only single?)
    Money City Maniacs (the live 4 Nights version)

Chris once said that putting just their singles on a disc betrayed a lot of their style on the albums.

21. finslaw

I suppose this thread should continue with the somewhat recent singles in the sequence they came. In hindsight I dig them more and more.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------

Spend the Day - Patrick 2022

This first single from Steady was a curiously upbeat and bouncy rocker from Patrick. The lyrics about hiding away calling back to the pandemic, but underlying the bounce are a theme that was prevalent at that time, spending too much time with someone reveals the ugly truth and leads to divorce, the latter becoming a reality for Patrick. It is odd that the more his marriage dissolved the more upbeat sounding his rockers became. Those harder and effects laden mood songs of Commonwealth gave way to some of his more power pop inspired songs on 12.

This first single is short and doesn't make an impression of being a truly great Sloan single. However, Patrick's vocals (sounding a bit like Oasis) on a fun verse melody and a catchy chorus and a cool guitar solo do elevate it above something like Keep Swinging. However, it could have used a middle eight to flesh it out. I give this lead single a B-

It's not like living in your real world
    Is better than my life on the other side
    I’m sick of wired and I'm tethering
    And weathering somewhere out of my mind

Hide away
    Spend the day in here with me a while
    Hide away

It's not like every time your wide eyes
    Look at something that it’s full of lies
    You're gonna try and find the who, what, why, wherе
    I refuse to recognizе

Hide away
    Hide away

It's not like living in your real world
    Is better than my life on the other side
    I'm sick of wired and I'm tethering
    And weathering somewhere out of my mind

Hide away
    Hide away

22. finslaw

Scratch the Surface - Patrick 2022 #31 (Canadian Rock)

Patrick gets a two-fer single release for the first time since 1999's Between the Bridges. It is a strategy that questions whether Patrick's songs have been pimped out too many times. Yes, he has the biggest singles as far as the charts go, but at some point couldn't that be because he always got the lead singles. Songs like Unkind undeniably have hit single feel all over them, however, couldn't You Got a Lot on Your Mind chart higher than the rather disappointing #43 that Keep Swinging hit. Both Jay and Chris have bested that chart number with their only lead off singles since 2005.

Scratch the Surface comes with those chunky power chords that recall Friendship as well as sounding a bit like the 867-5309 chords. The lyrics are again referencing a sense of isolation in the pandemic, and all the negative coping skills one uses to get through the loneliness, however there is a plea in the chorus that calls to wanting to be intimate with others. Chris comes in with a call and response, the song pummels through with the distortion amped up to 11, the bass mostly hits that one note pluck like on Money City Maniacs. I initially thought this song was a rather rote Patrick song with a ho hum chorus, but recently while placing it on comps I realized that the formula is effective and it rocks. It doesn't reinvent the wheel, but it does feel a bit more substantial as a single than Spend the Day and that shows in how it hit #31 on the Canadian Rock chart, the same number Chris's Spin Our Wheels hit from the last album. Despite its recovery it still earns yet another B- (that is 5 in a row if I'm not mistaken)

When you're alone in the city
    No one knows your name
    Alone in the city everybody feels the same
    When you're alone in the city
    No one knows your name
    You've got your peace and love
    You've got your liquor and drugs
    Liquor and drugs, peace and love
    It feels the same
    Scratch the surface
    There's something living on the other side
    Scratch the surface
    There's something living that's worthwhile
    Alone in the city
    Like a single flame
    You're alone in the city and you don't connect
    The world around you and your effect
    Alone in the city
    Take it easy baby (oh yeah)
    Scratch the surface
    There's something living on the other side (it's been alive)
    Scratch the surface
    All my life
    You've got your peace and love
    You've got your liquor and drugs
    Liquor and drugs, peace and love
    It feels the same
    (It's been alive) scratch the surface (all my life)
    (It's been alive) scratch the surface (all my life)
    (It's been alive) scratch the surface
    All my life

factory44 and jalexander like this.
  23. finslaw

Between the 2 lead off Patrick singles for Steady, which is the more worthy? I weirdly give Spend the Day a slight edge as far as a song but I think Scratch the Surface was the better single. However, we also have 2 more singles to get to from Chris and Jay.

24. Liam Brown

Liam Brown Forum Resident

I read this post on the thread today and realized i have the flyer for that show:
    [​IMG]

factory44, jalexander and finslaw like this.
  25. Just chiming in to say that Steady is a really good record and I encourage anyone to pick it up. They all seemed happy and healthy when I caught them on tour last year, and they seem to have plenty of gas in the tank. Looking forward to whatever else they offer in the future.

I’m also wishing for an Between the Bridges anniversary/deluxe at some point. The BtB->Action Pact run is my favorite era.

factory44, intv7 and marc with a c like this.