SLOAN (the Canadian Beatles) single by single - 1992 to now

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by finslaw, Feb 15, 2022.

1. finslaw

finslaw muzak to my ears Thread Starter

Magical Thinking - Chris 2022

After the Patrick duo the next track released as a single (without a video) was Chris's opener Magical Thinking. His last opener Spin Our Wheels was the hit for the album before and started with a pulse pounding pace that Chris somehow upped this time around. This song feels like a very left field song, but then again Chris's place in the band seems to be providing the variety while Patrick rocks, Jay jauntily strums along and Andrew creates a mid-tempo Dylan/Cohen ode. The beat has a fast backbeat rhythm that I can't quite place in music, maybe ska? The tinkling keyboard and the swelling Disney intro give it a grandeur and a counterbalance to the breakneck pace.

Lyrically the song seems devoted to the flipside of his earlier Silence Trumps Lies, about belief in things that are not proven true. Now that could be simple complaints but if you read the lyrics he really does get to the heart of thoughts/feelings that lead to joining whatever cult. Vocally the lyrics are spewed out quickly in a sort of rap style that get punctuated by a more traditionally sung line. I love the delivery of this song on all levels and putting it on as the opener it instantly makes one bob their head. As a single the song may be lacking a strong enough chorus to really do much on the charts, however as a song I gotta go with A-.

If it feels right
    Accept unblinking (pa-pa-pa-ra-pa-pa-pa-ra-ra)
    Make it real life
    Magical thinking (pa-pa-pa-ra-pa-pa-pa-ra-ra)
    Message from the other side
    Feelings that won't be denied
    Believing in it all along
    I think it and I can't be wrong
    Unrelated, yet connects
    Supernatural effects
    It has meaning to me
    Make it real life
    Humankind
    Is wired to find
    Some meaning in this world reminds
    Me of a dream that will come true
    I want it
    I deserve it
    So, I'm gonna get it
    Never wanting
    Always known
    Make it happen
    Thoughts alone
    Righteousness is ringing true
    And feelings tell me what to do
    Hate surprises
    Love control
    But explanations can't console
    Just thinking it is to do it
    Make it real life
    I like to stay inside the realm
    Already comprehended
    Any other explanation
    Look to the cosmos
    Everyone knows
    It will send it
    Never guessing
    Tempting fate
    Predictions come, but come too late
    The weather's bad
    I can't complain
    Because I'm sad I made it rain
    I'm being punished, but for what?
    I guess I didn't trust my gut
    Sometimes I cannot control it
    If it feels right
    Accept unblinking (pa-pa-pa-ra-pa-pa-pa-ra-ra)
    Make it real life
    Humankind
    Is wired to find
    Some meaning in this world reminds
    Me of a dream that will come true
    I want it
    I deserve it
    I like to stay inside of the realm
    Already comprehended
    Any other explanation
    Look to the cosmos
    Everyone knows
    It will send it
    Magical thinking

factory44 likes this.
  2. finslaw

Steady's charms keep revealing themselves to me. Compared to their songs for 12, Patrick's songs are more consistent with 2 worthy rockers and one heartbreaking ballad, Chris's songs provide the variety and levity like usual and even the attempts that get cloying like Human Nature are still memorable, Jay's songs are a big improvement on the last album where only one of them seemed worthy, and Andrew seems in a chill psych mood with his 2 songs. 12 to me was their replica of a 1981 power pop record. Steady has a similar feel, but lyrically I get so much more out of it and there is a bit more variety and experiments. I would have liked a rocker from Andrew though.

As far as that era you point out, it seems to be the era I have been revisiting the most. Maybe the previous songs have overplayed singles for me. Pretty Together has risen in my esteem too.

3. I’m really feeling Patrick’s contributions to Steady- something clicked with the music for me after seeing/hearing them live. I admire the vitality of the band and that all four writers continue to deliver great music.

I agree that a rockier tune from Andrew would have been welcome. Sensory Deprivation, for me, is peak Sloan. I’m always wanting more of that vibe.

4. marc with a c

marc with a c Forum Resident

I salivate at the prospect of a BtB set, myself!

factory44 and Haggis Wampovich like this.
  5. jalexander

jalexander Forum Resident

I was initially not enthused about Scratch the Surface and Spend the Day. Two more generic Patrick rockers not far from his lacklustre contributions to Commonwealth. Over time, though, they’ve really grown on me. I think they’re simply well crafted, and the vulnerable lyrics are quite interesting for black leather rockers. I give the edge to Scratch the Surface. Turn it up… it rocks hard.

Magical Thinking. Good album track. Not sure why it’s a single, though. But let’s not talk about Human Nature… my kids make me skip it off whenever I play this album. If a 9 year-old thinks your song is cheesy, you might have a problem.

finslaw likes this.
  6. finslaw

Dream It All Over Again - Jay 2022

Fourth singles have a pretty high quality rate with I Am the Cancer, G Turns to D and Don't You Believe a Word. This Jay track continues the success rate and even comes with a music video. The bouncy 2 chord riff is somewhat reminiscent of The Kinks early rockers like You Really Got Me and I Need You. The vocals are playful going between Jay and Chris, feeling almost like a duet, the verse part with the "whatcha" lines and then a chorus that doesn't quite feel like one until the last title line. The song dances between a forced groove and an out and out rocker, sort of how Chris's Magical Thinking did as well, and the handclaps add to the poppy feel. I'm not sure if the song should have been the leadoff single, but I'd rather see this there instead of Spend the Day just so Jay can make a go of another one. I find this song to be an infectious earworm, however, lyrically it seems like more of Jay's obtuse poetry. However, if I wait a while maybe it will be back in style. I give this one a B+

What you gonna do
    If they call your name out?
    Raise your hand
    The beat to the band in tune, yeah
    The writing's on the wall
    But the words came slowly
    Take a stand
    From key to command it's true, yeah
    Light a candle make a wish
    Don't blow it out
    It might come true, maybe
    Leaving everything you love's not easy
    In fact, I'd rather choose
    To dream it all over again with you
    You end up looking farther afield
    In hindsight it kept it's appeal
    So, we're here right now, yeah
    What you gonna do
    The changing of the guard is a trend
    And curtain calls will come at the end
    Do I take my bow?
    Yeah
    What you gonna do
    Don't blow it now
    When they call your name out
    What you gonna do
    When they call your name out?
    If you wait a while
    Then we'll be back in style
    But if you lose your thread
    We're never (hard to find)
    Don't blow it out
    Without a sapphire in your sight
    You're clearly blue
    Let's dream it all over again with you
    What you gonna do

factory44 likes this.
  7. twicks

twicks Forum Resident

Chris's vocals can occasionally take on into a braying, goat-like quality and this song is Exhibit A.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2024
    finslaw and jalexander like this.
  8. Paul Saldana

Paul Saldana jazz vinyl addict

I saw these guys play in GA back in late 2006, a terrific show that nobody attended (college town & school was out). I would absolutely see them again given the chance.

finslaw and jalexander like this.
  9. ElevateMeLater

ElevateMeLater Jesus of Cool

Been listening to a lot of Odessey and Oracle as of late...it's crazy how much this tune seems to informed Jay's sound. I could totally hear him singing this and him and Chris harmonizing when the layered vocals come in.

finslaw likes this.
  10. ElevateMeLater

ElevateMeLater Jesus of Cool

11. jalexander

jalexander Forum Resident

Nice… although I’d argue Patrick should be Devil-Angus.

blastfurniss likes this.
  12. finslaw

I hear it, but also in those Rod sung post-Zombies tracks too. A very similar tone.

Great album and one I introduced to my daughter long ago and recently in College she played the whole album to a friend. It survived gloriously, aided by not depending on guitar so much.

ElevateMeLater likes this.
  13. SJB

SJB Beloved Parasitic Nuisance

A quick plug here for Alive & Alright, a February 2000 live recording of the entire Between the Bridges album (plus B-side "At the Edge of the Scene") now available digitally via Bandcamp. (There's also a double vinyl LP but it was very limited and might be sold out by now.)
    Alive & Alright, by Sloan
    The video for "Friendship" is taken from this concert.

This thread had a discussion of the paid video stream a couple of years ago but I didn't see a mention of the more recent audio release.