Sly & Family Stone-the quad mixes

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Dr. Winston, Dec 10, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dr. Winston

Dr. Winston New Member Thread Starter

I have one track--"Hot Fun" from the Quad mix tapes. Were the others released in any form? I probably missed this also having been absent from the Forum for awhile but is the Essential set worthwhile? Did they use the single mono mixes ?

2. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

I have the quad greatest hits LP. I've only played it in stereo mode. The mixes are quite different, and the sound quality of those mixes are excellent. The multis sound much better than what the stereo mixes reveal.

3. Jeff H.

Jeff H. Senior Member

I throughly agree. I've got a copy of that album too. Though I wonder why they panned the opening drum roll to "Stand" back and forth on that mix, and if it actually goes all the way around when played back in quad rather than left to right in stereo? My favorite of the quad mixes on the album is "Everybody Is A Star". I was surprised how wide and open sounding "Hot Fun In The Summertime" was when I first heard it on that there.

4. Mark

Mark I Am Gort, Hear Me Roar Staff

As a confirmed Sly fan, can I inquire as to where one might find this gem for a reasonable price?

5. Chris M

Chris M Senior Member In Memoriam

Is the stereo Everybody is a Star on the Essential Sly a fold down of the Quad mix or a vintage stereo mix?

Chris

6. lennonfan

lennonfan New Member

the drumroll at the beginning of Stand does indeed go around the room. I've always liked the discrete quad 8track mix. Wonderful. It's completely isolated between channels which is rather unusual.

7. Jeff H.

Jeff H. Senior Member

Unless you get lucky and find it in a used record store bin, which at this point isn't really likely, check eBay. They occasionally pop up on there. That's where I found mine. It was near mint and I paid only $35. Not bad considering that mint copies of this record normally go for over $100. You could luck out like I did.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.