Sly & The Family Stone Appreciation Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Muddy, Apr 12, 2015.

1. Robamorican

Robamorican Forum Resident

An hourish.

I had no idea he was still performing.

This show had Cynthia and Jerry...along with Rose's daughter.

Hep Alien, Matthew Tate and Siegmund like this.
  2. Siegmund

Siegmund Vinyl Sceptic

That's considerably more than a tribute band.

Hep Alien and Matthew Tate like this.
  3. Siegmund

Siegmund Vinyl Sceptic

Listened to Milady earlier today - and was reminded of how great Freddie Stone's rhythm guitar break halfway through is. In fact, I'd say it makes the song! :)

tages and Hep Alien like this.
  4. Travadinho

Travadinho Forum Resident

Anytime I create a soul/funk mix for myself or someone else, I ALWAYS include this song:

'Africa Talks to You' is probably my second favorite Sly track.

5. Mook

Mook Forum Resident

Small Talk is a hugely underrated album, absolutely love it.

andy75, DTK, Siegmund and 4 others like this.
  6. Siegmund

Siegmund Vinyl Sceptic

'Feel so good, feel so good, don't wanna move' has to be one of the most chilling lines in all rock music.

7. Siegmund

Siegmund Vinyl Sceptic

It certainly is. Definitely up to the standard of the first three albums, if not (quite) to ''big three' (Stand!, Riot, Fresh).

Matthew Tate and Mook like this.
  8. Samleo

Samleo Well-Known Member

I pray that before I die, I'll get to hear and own a first press mono of A Whole New Thing. Or that someone will do an AAA mono remaster of it from the original tapes.

9. SRC

SRC That sums up Squatter for me

This is my poetic license/speculation, but the internal metaphor I've always thought of is that the early Sly records sound to me like the soundtrack to intelligent and future-minded young people going about their socially-conscious business with style and confidence on a sunny day, while the later Sly records sound to me like the soundtrack to one guy peeking through his window blinds in the middle of the night to see if the police are about to show up. Cocaine is a hell of a drug!

That's an exaggeration of course and not even meant entirely critically. There is killer stuff on records like Riot and Fresh.

10. Siegmund

Siegmund Vinyl Sceptic

[QUOTE="MaccaBeatles, post: 21060430, member: 27564"]I know it's been said many times before but man, what a positive message Sly & The Family Stone had behind their music. Black or white, who cares? Times have changed for the better in many respects but in many ways society has become much more fragmented, which leads to different groups of people continuing to target each other and forgetting about what they have in common. (Let's not get political here, we know how that tends to go)

But Sly & The Family Stone always said forget about all that. We are all "Everyday People", "EVERYBODY is a Star", "You Can Make It If You Try" so let's "Stand!" for equality.

Forget your hangups, let's "Sing a Simple Song" and "Dance to the Music", let's go "Higher!"

Thank you Sly, for delivering an important message and making some of the most kick*ss music at the same time![/QUOTE]

That was very much the 'message' of pre-Riot Sly. But, after 1970, with Sly's gradual drug-induced detachment from the other members of the band and the pressure he was under from the Panthers to fire Martini and Errico, things got a lot darker.

That's why one of the reasons I find S&TFS such a fascinating band: their 'message' was very mixed.

Greenalishi likes this.
  11. hakstone

hakstone Witnessing the prototype of the Eloi

I always feel uplifted listening to them

12. tages

tages Senior Member

The first pressing US mono LPs of both “A Whole New Thing” and “Dance To The Music” are both fantastic and worth every penny. The mono promo “Life” LP is a fold down sadly.

And there’s no substitute for getting nice original US 45s to hear the 60’s singles in their proper mixes - they sound thunderous!

13. Hardy Melville

Hardy Melville Forum Resident

Great band. Always make me smile.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  14. lc1995

lc1995 Forum Resident

That was very much the 'message' of pre-Riot Sly. But, after 1970, with Sly's gradual drug-induced detachment from the other members of the band and the pressure he was under from the Panthers to fire Martini and Errico, things got a lot darker.

That's why one of the reasons I find S&TFS such a fascinating band: their 'message' was very mixed.[/QUOTE]

I find that Fresh and Small Talk are relatively upbeat even if they lacked the innocence of their 60s work

Hep Alien, DTK and Matthew Tate like this.
  15. lc1995

lc1995 Forum Resident

I love the Family Stone. "In Time" is one of my favorite songs ever, it contains a sort of musical pointilism where all of the instruments play off of each other. And features some outstanding funk drumming.

16. chacha

chacha Forum Resident In Memoriam

Have you ever heard or seen a mono copy of Dance To The Music album? I’m curious about that too.

17. eatthecheese

eatthecheese Forum Resident

One of the all time greats, and maybe the best funk band ever, though their prime was brief. Recommend everything through Fresh at minimum.

Hep Alien, Matthew Tate and DTK like this.
  18. DTK

DTK Forum Resident

Also one of Miles Davis' fave Sly tunes. Masterpiece.

Retropsych and Matthew Tate like this.
  19. Samleo

Samleo Well-Known Member

I've neither heard nor seen it before. Tages posted about it, see the 7th last post before this one

chacha likes this.
  20. Samleo

Samleo Well-Known Member

I sooo badly want a whole new thing but it's so rare, none on discogs but one in good+ condition. Please let me know if you ever feel like selling ;)

tages and Matthew Tate like this.
  21. walrus

walrus Staring into nothing

I really hope this happens, for both mono albums. I'm listening to DTTM on my headphones right now, and the stereo separation on the medley is so distracting. Some tracks are better than others, but I can't imagine both of these records wouldn't be so much heavier in mono.

Samleo likes this.
  22. Dark Horse 77

Dark Horse 77 A Parliafunkadelicment Thang

I love this appearance so much. You really see Sly doing his best to keep the peace and continually calling out Ali for being a hypocrite.

midniteinsanjuan and Hep Alien like this.
  23. Loizoin

Loizoin Well-Known Member

I was in Bournemouth too...I remember there being an authentic (see: worrying) delay for Sly getting on stage (whilst the rest of the band got on with it), and when he finally came out singing If You Want Me To Stay (which was about 5 or 6 tracks in), with the vocals painfully low in the mix. They sorted this out after this track, but the sound was....bad. Which really I think related to the choice of venue: the Opera House just wasn't acoustically suited to a band. Having heard other videos from around this time, his voice was clearly still sounding pretty great - not like it used to be, but like you say, that unmistakable quality. It's a shame they didn't record the gig, as a decent mix might have made it sound better post performance. There are a couple of tracks on Youtube from the gig, but using video phones from 2007, so not great quality. Although you can hear Thankyou For Talking To Me Africa at the end of one of them (a 3 second snippet), which sounds pretty good.

But having already seen James Brown and George Clinton, seeing Sly felt like I'd seen the funk Holy Trinity!

dryjoy likes this.
  24. Loizoin

Loizoin Well-Known Member

What's the name of Vet's book?

Hep Alien likes this.
  25. Blood is Thicker than Mud (Vet Stone)

Hep Alien and Loizoin like this.