Sly & the Family Stone remasters

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Dave Garrett, Sep 13, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lemonjello

lemonjello Forum Resident

Re: New Sly & the Family Stone remasters?

I read something about that a few years ago in MOJO that the euro CD used a rough mix tape made before the overdubs were finished and then fixed it. I've always been looking for that mix. Was yours issued on vinyl? If so when was it issued?

2. Chris M

Chris M Senior Member In Memoriam

I see, thanks for catching that.

3. TWZ

TWZ Forum Resident

4. The Panda

The Panda Forum Mutant

5. badfingerjoe

badfingerjoe Senior Member

Those bonus tracks are a major letdown for me. Why mono or 45 mixes on some and not others?

JF

6. drbryant

drbryant Senior Member

It was the initial pressing of the CD for Fresh. I think that there are some takes that are different, and certain songs are longer, others are shorter. They are indistinguishable from the correct CD, except that I think that the matrix number may be different. If I can find my copy (which won't be easy since we moved recently and everything is in boxes) I'll post the matrix no. Otherwise, if you haunt used CD stores, the only way to figure it out is to listen to it.

7. Chris M

I'm dissapointed to. I would have expected at least all of the unique mono mixes. There is also a reissue of the Greatest Hits album on the way. Maybe it will have some of the mono mixes? Oh, well. We do get two completely unreleased songs from the Stand sessions. That's pretty exciting.

8. ivor

ivor Senior Member

I remember reading somewhere that the US copies have different UPCs on the back. My US copy with the original mix has this UPC:

My European copy with the alternate mix has this UPC:

Hopefully someone can post other UPCs to help figure this out.

9. yesstiles

yesstiles Senior Member

What!?!?

No "Hot Fun in the Summertime" single version?

10. Chris M

Greatest Hits is reissued on 1/16. Hopefully it will have the mono single mixes.

11. Gerry Galipault

Gerry Galipault New Member

Billboard now has details on the bonus tracks: here.

12. Big Al

Big Al Active Member

Bonus tracks, mono mixes of singles, live stuff..... makes no difference to me. Just the fact that these are finally seeing the light of day in (hopefully) wonderful sound is making me drool over these reissues!

13. deadcoldfish

deadcoldfish Senior Member

info from the mouth of Pitchforkmedia.com

All seven albums (chronologically: A Whole New Thing, Dance to the Music, Life, Stand!, There's a Riot Goin' On, Fresh, Small Talk) will come as limited edition digipaks with bonus tracks, plenty of which are previously unreleased. According to a press release, they will also feature "restored and expanded packaging, including rare photos, memorabilia, and new liner notes by a diverse group of writers and artists."

The bonus tracks for each release are as follows.

A Whole New Thing: "Underdog" (B-side version, mono), "Let Me Hear It From You" (B-side version, mono), "Only One Way Out of This Mess", "What Would I Do", "You Better Help Yourself" (previously unreleased instrumental).

Dance to the Music: "Dance to the Music" (single version, mono), "Higher" (unissued single version, mono), "Soul Clappin'", "We Love All" (previously unreleased), "I Can't Turn You Loose" (previously unreleased), "Never Do Your Woman Wrong" (previously unreleased instrumental).

Life: "Dynamite!" (single version, mono), "Seven More Days" (previously unreleased), "Pressure" (previously unreleased), "Sorrow" (previously unreleased instrumental).

Stand!: "Stand!" (single version, mono), "I Want to Take You Higher" (single version, mono), "You Can Make It If You Try" (unissued/cancelled single version, mono), "Soul Clappin' II" (previously unreleased), "My Brain (Zig-Zag)" (previously unreleased instrumental).

There's a Riot Goin' On: "Runnin' Away" (single version, mono), "Untitled instrumental track #1" (previously unreleased), "Untitled instrumental track #2" (previously unreleased, mono), "Untitled instrumental track #3" (previously unreleased, mono).

Fresh: "Let Me Have It All" (alternate mix, previously unreleased album master), "Frisky" (alternate mix, previously unreleased album master), "Skin I'm In" (alternate mix, previously unreleased album master), "Keep on Dancin'" (alternate mix, previously unreleased album master), "Babies Makin' Babies" (alternate mix, previously unreleased album master).

Small Talk: "Crossword Puzzle" (previously unreleased), "Time for Livin'" (previously unreleased alternate version), "Loose Booty" (previously unreleased alternate version), "Positive" (previously unreleased instrumental).

14. johnny 99

johnny 99 Down On Main Street

Let's hope they restore the ORIGINAL cover on the reissue of A Whole New Thing. They changed it in the 70's after the Gr. Hits album. The orig. cover was neat (the band were in Sly's hand if I recall)...Does anyone else remember the old cover photo????

15. jrice

jrice Senior Member

Info from http://www.musictap.net/ :

Remember that Epic and Legacy will be releasing Expanded and Remastered editions of Sly and The Family Stone catalogue titles that will be sequentially numbered that will be available both individually and as a boxed set (but when they're depleted, they will not be replenished). The individual albums will be loaded into Digipaks with booklets full of photos, new liner notes and restored original artwork. I'm excited about these re-releases. They'll be in my collection. The titles include Fresh; A Whole New Thing; Small Talk; Stand!; Dance to the Music; Life; and There's a Riot Goin' On. These albums will street on March 20. The 7CD Limited Edition Box set will retail at $69.98

16. Lord Hawthorne

Lord Hawthorne Currently Untitled

This looks worth getting, but they're still going to be missing some mono singles like "Life", "Fun", "Everyday People" and more.

17. Chris M

Those bonus tracks look pretty good to me. Lots of mono single mixes. I wish they would reissue Greatest Hits as well and give us the mono mixes of hot Fun In The Summertime, Thank You, etc. I also wish they would release the Fillmore East '68 stuff. Complete Woodstock would be nice as well..

18. Feelflows

Feelflows New Member

Thank You has a sweet mono mix! It figures that the mono bonus tracks are almost all from 45s that I have already. It's a shame they can't fill the gaps in my collection for me!

19. MichaelSmith

MichaelSmith Forum Resident

Is this the cover of the excellent Sony "Essential" 2 CD set?

20. Great Deceiver

Great Deceiver Active Member

Sounds good! :righton: I just wish they would let up with the use of Digipaks!!! :realmad: maybe they are trying to build in planned obsolescence so when the digipak wears out, you have to buy the whole thing new again?

Either, I'm definitely getting a fe of these!

So is it the box set that is limited edition or are the remasters also? :confused: I wonder if there is any bonus to getting the box

21. johnny 99

No. Different picture. Does no one else remember it? It was reissued in the 70's with a cheesy cover and I hated it. The original cover looks more of it's time (Sly looks really young) It's a colour picture of Sly with the group in his hands I'm sure, although I haven't seen it since I had the LP on the yellow EPIC label as a kid. Maybe someone could find a photo of the orig. cover and post it!??

22. ivor

ivor Senior Member

The remastered Whole New Thing is listed on Amazon with the original picture.

Do you all think the bonus tracks on Fresh are just the ones that already showed up mistakenly on certain pressings of the CD?

23. monkboughtlunch

monkboughtlunch Senior Member

Are they not going to issue the single Hot Fun in the Summertime as a bonus track on Stand!?

What's up with that?

24. johnny 99

I found the picture! I was mistaken about the band being in his hands. I have not seen that photo in about 35 years! Thanks! I cannot wait to hear these first 4 albums again.:)

25. Steve E.

Steve E. Doc Wurly and Chief Lathe Troll

Isn't it "Sing a Simple Song" that has a radically different single mix? Woulda been nice to have that and singles for "Hot Fun In The Summer Time" "Everybody is a Star" and "Thank You (Falettinme Be Mice Elf Agin)"....but then, of course, "Greatest Hits" would be almost completely redundant. This way, if you buy the regular albums you still to plunk down an extra $18 plus, for just those three songs.
    Really should have those 8 "Stone Flower" single sides on it, esp the Little Sister songs, which are uncollected and/or unavailable, and totally one with the sound of this album. I think a different label may own them, though.

Indeed, I'll bet these are the alt mixes released on the first CD run. There's room for the whole alt album on a single CD. (that would be another 5 alt mixes, as "In Time" is the same on both versions.) Why not include it? disappointing.
    Very interesting that this song is a bonus track!! This song is one of the only standouts on "High On You" from the following year. I had long suspected that it might date from an earlier time, and this indicates that at least some version did. The horn charts on the known version are SICK (in a good way.) The song could easily be a Fishbone track from 13 years later.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.