Sly & the Family Stone remasters

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Dave Garrett, Sep 13, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. whoompley

whoompley Senior Member

Here it is, I think...

Attached Files:

• sly.jpg
      sly.jpg
      File size:
      67.2 KB
      Views:
  2. johnny 99

johnny 99 Down On Main Street

Memories... I just loved this album when I was a kid. Thanks for posting the pic. I never thought I'd see it again at one time. I use to look for this old LP at record shows from 77 to the late 80's and NEVER see it. I always liked it too (I wonder why they changed it in the 70's??)

3. tages

tages Senior Member

So excited, but it's a real shame that the "Life"/"M'Lady" mono single isn't included. Both songs are very different sounding (and "Life" has a different lead vocal). Also, the "Everyday People"/"Sing A Simple Song" single mixes are great and essential. The only other pre '69 mono mix missing is "Bad Risk" the b-side of "Underdog" which sounds a bit "fuller" than it's mix on "A Whole New Thing". Still, I can't wait to hear these new outtakes! Would've been nice to have the Abaco Dream, 6ix, and Stone Flower stuff added but oh well.

4. Chris M

Chris M Senior Member In Memoriam

It would make a lot of sense to reissue Greatest Hits and use the mono 45 mixes. Maybe that's why the Thank You, Summertime, etc. aren't included on the reissues of the albums?

CD Universe does have a listing for a remastered Greatest Hits but it says "backordered since 1/16/07"

http://www.cduniverse.com/productinfo.asp?pid=7242743&BAB=E

5. Chris M

The Abaco Dream 45 is great. I can't get enough of Life and Death in G & A. It's criminal that it's never been on CD.

6. BeatleFred

BeatleFred Senior Member

Speaking of Sly:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bM_Pf7JhKWo

and lyrics to one of my all-time fave tunes:

pretty pretty pretty as a picture
    witty witty witty as you can be
    blind cause your eyes see only glitter
    closed to the things that make you free

ever stop to think about a downfall?
    happens at the end of every line
    just when you think you’ve pulled a fast one
    happens to the foolish all the time

somebody’s watching you (4’xs)

games are to played with toys etcetera
    love is to be made when you’re for real
    ups and downs are caused by life in general
    some are yours no matter how you feel

shady as a lady in a mustache
    feelings camouflaged by groans and grins
    secrets have a special way about them
    moving to and fro among your friends

somebody’s watching you (4’xs)

live it up today if you want to
    live it down tomorrow afternoon
    sunday school don’t make you cool forever
    neither does the silver of your spoon

the nicer the nice, the higher the price
    this is what you pay for what you need
    the higher the price, the nicer the nice
    jealous people like to see you bleed...

somebody’s watching you (4x’s and fades out)

7. Big Al

Big Al Active Member

That's what I'm hoping. :thumbsup:

8. johnny 99

johnny 99 Down On Main Street

I listened to an old copy of Stand on cd today that I borrowed from our library. Man, I cannot wait to hear a new remaster of this baby. I almost forgot how much I liked this album. If you were 11 years old when you first heard Sly & The Family Stone, they forever changed the way you viewed music. They brought everyone together with a love of their unique blend of funk, soul and rock and we just ate it up as kids. When I saw their performance in the Woodstock movie as a kid I was so knocked out!! It has to be considered a highlight of that whole festival. Smokin' hot!

9. badfingerjoe

badfingerjoe Senior Member

The "Dance To The Music" CD lists the title track as a bonus track "single version mono". Do we know which version this will be,the original short version..or the common longer version.? It would be nice to get the original version since we have the common version on CD.

JF

10. yesstiles

yesstiles Senior Member

Dah!!! But I already have those original songs on my great Essential Series Sly comp. They should have put the mono mixes on the Stand! remaster. I'll recover.

By the way, there was a thread once with Steve Hoffman going on and on about how great and superior that single mix of Hot Fun in the Summertime is, IIRC.

11. apesmu

apesmu Forum Resident

BUMP

just wanted to post that the JPN CD editions of the remasters will be limited edition paper-sleeves, as per HMV Japan.

:righton:

12. ognir rrats

ognir rrats Forum Resident

Man, oh man, I hope these reissues all have the original mixes of the albums! I'm guessing they are since they went through the trouble of having the mono single versions for bonus tracks. Does anyone know?

13. Taxman

Taxman Senior Member

I' can't wait for the re-release of Sly's catalog. Samples from the first three CDs are here http://www.slystonemusic.com/
    Been looking for the best deal too. Sonmusicstore has the box for $61.98 with free shipping, 7 CDs in a slipcase, and $8.98 for each disc. Deepdiscount is at $58.78 with free shipping for the box and $9.97 for the single discs. I like DD but I'm scared off a bit because DD says the release date on the box is April 27 when in fact it is April 10 for the box and April 24 for the single discs. CD Universe is at $9.58 per disc and $49.34 for the box, but with $6.99 shipping. $10 less with Google checkout. Amazon is at $10.99-$11.98 per disc and $69.98 for the box and free shipping. Seems like CD Universe wins the shootout. It's probably too much to expect these at the big box stores.

14. rcdupre

rcdupre Flying is Trying is Dying

I actually just heard on ad on the radio (and a talk station at that!) for the seven "deluxe editions" can't remember which store it was for.....I'd be interested in getting Riot, hopefully to replace the cheesy packaging on the CD I have, and 3 instrumentals sound good to me, hope they're long!

15. jsayers

jsayers Just Drifting....

I can see why Sly changed that cover - it's an awful pic of him! <referring to the original lp cover a "A Whole New Thing"...>

I'm getting psyched about this round of re-releases!

16. jsayers

I just sat here and did something I NEVER do: listened to an entire cd release all the way through. And not a single cd release, a 2 cd set! I'm talking about the 2 cd "Essential" Sly & The Family Stone Epic/Legacy release. What a great set! Very few "clunkers" on this set. I'm hoping they didn't "cherry pick" those original albums too much, as I've never had any of the original lps/cds, other than the "Greatest Hits" lp/8-track/cassette/cd! Yep, had all of 'em...

If there's half as many great tracks on these reissues, not to mention the bonus tracks none of us has had the pleasure to preview, I'm thinking the boxed set is the way to go here. It seems both the single cd releases and the boxed set are numbered, limited editions - digi-packs, oh well, can't have everything, but not knowing about the early and latter period cds, I feel I'm taking a bit of a "blind" plunge if I just dive in for the box. Instinct tells me "go for it", part of me says pick up a few single cd reissues and see what you think. Anyone else having this question about this round of Sly re-releases? All I can say is that the "Essential" set is amazing. Timeless music.

17. shinedaddy

shinedaddy Forum Resident

I think you should get the box..seriously, this is ground-breaking stuff and VERY little of it is a waste of space. I can't wait to get it and replace my poor cds. The LP's proper are superb, starting with Life (the 3rd) and going until Small Talk (the last in this series of reissues) so only the first 2 have any real filler at all, and it is still enjoyable stuff IMHO. CLASSIC, all!

18. jsayers

Thanks - I think that this is the way to go. I sure hope these remasters aren't "ear-bleeders".

19. ivor

ivor Senior Member

The Essential set is very good, but I compared a couple tracks off Life and thought the 1995 remaster had a more natural EQ. Specifically, the tamborine was screaming "HEY, listen to how good I sound" on Essential. Still very good, but noticeable. I think both releases were remastered by Vic Anesini, so go figure. If anyone else has done comparisons, I'd be interested in hearing their opinions.

So, I'm not sure whether to get the box set. I doubt I'll listen to the bonus tracks much.

20. Taxman

Taxman Senior Member

I'm sure I'll get all seven eventually but I'm on the fence about the box. With 7 CDs at one time, Im thinking I might get burned out after 3 or 4. Stand and Riot will be first up for sure and after that I'm not sure in one order to buy. Anyone who knows these care to take a shot at ranking them?

21. shinedaddy

My order of preference:

Stand
    Fresh
    Life
    Theres a Riot (a little over-rated for me when you really get down to it but still great)
    Small Talk
    Dance to the Music
    A Whole New Thing

that being said, I consider the first 5 ESSENTIAL for any soul/funk/r&b collection.

22. Chris M

I think Life is really essential. How is Small Talk?

23. shinedaddy

Small Talk and Fresh have a lot in common. They are both slinky and funky records, laid back grooves for the most part (but NOT always) and I think both are superb. He reflects and gives advice lyrically a lot like he does on Fresh also. Songs like Time for Livin', Loose Booty, Say You Will and about 3 others are all superb tunes I put on my personal Sly 3cd set. I really like the feel of the LP and it only rates lower than the other 4 LP's for me because they are simply CLASSICS, as you know

24. Chris M

Thanks! I love Loose Booty. I had always wondered where that Paul's Botique sample came from :)

25. Chris M

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.