Sly & the Family Stone remasters

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Dave Garrett, Sep 13, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jsayers

jsayers Just Drifting....

Picked this up today - I special ordered it at Borders last week and it came in today! So naturally I "hauled butt" down there, used my personal shopping day and my 30% coupon that kicked out of the register when I bought something last week, and left the store $46 lighter but with the box in hand.
    The individual digipacs are shrinkwrapped inside the box, which was shrinkwrapped as well. Each cd has a really nice booklet with great color & B&W pics, and lots of text. Also, each cd is individually numbered on the back cover <the box itself is NOT numbered>, and my #'s jump around all over the place.
    Each disc is "produced for cd by" Bob Irwin, and "mastered" by Vic Anesini, same team that did the "Essential" 2 cd set recently.
    I'll probably pick up the Best Buy box for the dvd and stow it away, or trade it, whatever. It's really a sweet looking boxed set.
    The sound? Oh yeah - I just popped in "Dance To The Music" and it sounds like the 2cd Essential set to me - kinda loud, but if you're ok with that one, you'll be fine here.
    Gotta run - lots of Sly I've never heard <I've never owned any of these individual cds before!>, so I'll be giving my player a workout tonight and this weekend.

2. jsayers

I should mention, that Borders don't seem to be picking up the boxed set, only the individual cds, hence me ordering the box from them, as I wanted to be able to use my Borders benefits to bring down the price a bit. Just a "fyi".I'm gonna shut up now, so as not to spoil any of the fun on Tuesday, but I will say this: the bonus tracks on "Dance To The Music" and "Life" , the 2 discs I've listened to, are incredible. Must-haves. No "barrel-scraping" here, my friends.

3. Chris M

Chris M Senior Member In Memoriam

Thanks for the review. I can't wait for mine to arrive.

4. Mister Kite

Mister Kite Uncle Obscure

My experience with these deals at BB is that unfortunately, you never know. Sometimes you will get the bonus disc with your online order, but there is no guarantee. Here is the text from the retail ad mentioned in my earlier post:
    Since the limit in this case is unusually low, I have a feeling that some online purchasers will get burned. That is why I am opting for the b&m route. The only way to be absolutelly sure of getting one is to snag one off the shelf yourself. I already printed out a copy of the online listing to do a pricematch if necessary. Here again though, when the Web site has it at a lower pre-sale price, nine times out of ten, the store will be selling it for that price, too. If not, I have never had a problem pricematching the Web site. It is often just a decision on the part of corporate to adjust the price for competitive reasons after the circular has already gone to press.

5. Taxman

Taxman Senior Member

I'm hoping for the DVD with my BB pre-order but I'm with Blair. I usually end up not watching them anyway.

6. jsayers

I agree. I'll be "opening up" my local BB Tuesday morning to ensure I'll get this bonus dvd. Unlike previous posters stated here, I LOVE watching vintage artist clips, either "mimed" or live. And I certainly would watch them more than once if they are good!

7. ivor

ivor Senior Member

I did a little googling and came across this blurb here:
    http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage...0050020+pcmcat100050010&id=pcmcat118000050001

For a limited time, get The Collection by Sly and the Family Stone, a 7-CD limited edition set, compiling remastered versions of classic albums, and get a free DVD featuring two Best Buy exclusive tracks, live performances of "My Lady" and "Everybody is a Star."

I just searched youtube and didn't see any performance of Everybody is a Star, so that keeps it somewhat interesting. :)

[EDIT] I have clips of them on ABC in 1974 doing M'Lady, Thank You, Everybody is a Star and I Want To Take You Higher. I wonder if that's where these are from. The performances are good, but it's a studio rehearsal -- there's no audience.

[EDIT #2] I just watched the clips again, and Star breaks down in the middle -- so I doubt this is it.

8. ognir rrats

ognir rrats Forum Resident

Just curious...does it say anywhere that the cds are remixed? I hope not!

9. TheHypnoToad

TheHypnoToad Senior Member

True but the last time that I had ordered an item with a BB exclusive disc and it wasn't included they at least gave me a $5 coupon to use on my next order when I brought it to their attention. This is strictly a YMMV issue but they did seem sensitive to the fact that it had been a pre-order and that their web site mentioned the exclusive item.

10. Jeff H.

Jeff H. Senior Member

This morning I received an e-mail from a friend of mine who works for Sony/BMG about the upcoming Greatest Hits CD reissue. The re-release date for this title is tentatively scheduled for June or July(of this year:D ) and it will include bonus tracks, so I have a feeling that we probably will see some more mono 45 mixes on that package as well.

11. surfingelectrode

surfingelectrode Active Member

12. Mister Kite

Mister Kite Uncle Obscure

Not to start a stampede, but check :shh: THIS :shh: out!

Is it possible that this is the correct price since it appears to be one of the featured items in their "Think Spring 2 Days Only Sale"??

Happy Easter!!!!

BTW, my order total came to $10.41 SHIPPED!

Whoops! Looks like someone beat me to it...

13. MusicForAll

MusicForAll Forum Resident

14. CM Wolff

CM Wolff Senior Member

Mine's been ordered. It was the free shipping the cinched the deal. :)

15. jeffrey r

jeffrey r Member

I just called BB and got a $30 refund for my preorder at the $39.99 price (which shipped last week). $9.99 for this Box Set is one of the deals of the year.

16. surfingelectrode

So they are honoring it?

I had just wanted to see if they had raised the price on the web site from 40.00 to the ad's 50...

17. jeffrey r

jeffrey r Member

You're in the best position if you preordered last week and it shipped already. Then you can call up BB (1-888-237-8289), talk to customer service and ask for a price adjustment, they'll check and see it's at $9.99 now, and credit the $30 without question. Done deal.

Better do it fast though before they catch the mistake and raise it back up. Then the option to ask for a price adjustment will be closed. New orders will likely be canceled, but heck, it's worth a shot if you haven't ordered this yet.

18. bundee1

bundee1 Forum Resident

I ordered a couple and got a confirmation.

19. surfingelectrode

Just ordered about 20 minutes ago.

20. Chris M

Chris M Senior Member In Memoriam

The I've spend the last 30 minutes on the phone with BB for minutes trying to get my $30 refunded and they won't to do it. They said since it's a pre-order I can't get the price match? I told the rep that others have got the price match and she wanted to know what there names were :confused:

EDIT: Called back and got someone new who took care of it with no problems. Odd.

21. bundee1

bundee1 Forum Resident

Order a couple more at the special Easter Price sell em off and recoup the difference. Yay!

22. MikeT

MikeT Prior Forum Cretin and Current Impatient Creep

Well that didn't work for me. I was told that I need to have received the item and only then could they price match. They had my order up and had the particulars about it, saw the new price, but they also knew somehow that I had not received the item.

They told me to call back after receiving the order, and at that time they would price match (at which time we know it won't be $9.99). Weird.

I am not going to get to bent out of shape about it - since we all know that $9.99 is a mistake.

23. bundee1

bundee1 Forum Resident

Yeah dont blow it for the rest of us. Call on Wednesday!:shh: :D :D

24. MikeT

MikeT Prior Forum Cretin and Current Impatient Creep

Hey no problem. More power to you if they actually ship them at the $9.99 price.

I thought about ordering another one, and when that one shows up returning it to the store as if it were the one that came for $39.99.

Ah - have to leave for Easter festivities at my wife's relatives - so I will check later and then I will decide what I want to do. My inclination is to leave well enough alone.

Good luck.

25. Fortune

Fortune Senior Member

Wow! Just ordered it for $9.99. Very nice! :righton:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.