Small Faces "Autumn Stone" Box Set Coming (Soon?)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Kevin55, Oct 24, 2017.

1. Surferghost

Surferghost Forum Resident

Mitzi Gaynor's ****, there are.:) Sorry but anything without Ronnie Lane doesn't count, it's All Or Nothing (I quite like 'Find It' though, at a push).

The Ogden's box is 3-disc vinyl only, it seems. Autumn Stone is both CD and vinyl (number of discs in each format seems 'fluid' at the moment).
    But the details concerning both releases are still far too sketchy for my liking, I hope we get some definite information soon.

aoxomoxoa and marmalade166 like this.
  2. MGSeveral

MGSeveral Augm

I was thinking of "Stand By Me, I'll Stand By You" - would make a good SF best-of closer.

3. privit1

privit1 Senior Member

the analogy with the Doors is good two post Morrison albums largely ignored two Small Faces post plonk albums largely ignored

4. MGSeveral

MGSeveral Augm

True, but even the Doors' "Singles" box has the post-Jim ones on there.

privit1 likes this.
  5. Surferghost

Another cryptic SF-related tweet from the man himself, for what it's worth [clickylinky]:

Rob Caiger on Twitter

Seems like they're planning on going all-out this year.

Mike Dow, Hep Alien and marmalade166 like this.
  6. KinkySmallFace1991

KinkySmallFace1991 Will you come back to me, Sweet Lady Genevieve?

And 2017 was rather dormant. Thank God I’ll be graduating college...but do I choose between a guitar and whatever the Kinks and Small Faces are offering this year? Decisions, decisions...

jlf, Hep Alien and Tommyboy like this.
  7. Tuck1977

Tuck1977 Forum Resident

Guitar 100%

8. Surferghost

Rob Caiger on Twitter
    Seems like he was talking about the Ogden's box after all in that last tweet, and not yet another new comp.
    This is where you being cryptic leads us, Rob...

Personally I'd like to hear a few of those isolated tracks he's raving about pop up as bonus tracks, rather than another barely distinguishable 'rare and/or foreign market mix variation', but I don't suppose that'll happen.

9. marmalade166

marmalade166 Sous les pavés, la plage!

Rob said he's working on stereo mixdowns, so maybe there will be some new stereo mixes...?

Mark Wilson and Surferghost like this.
  10. Surferghost

Yeah, I think they're going to need something to sell an Ogden's box to anyone but the diehards (I am one, but even I'm on the fence about it). Some 'stripped down' mixes (if they can even be done without the multis) like on the Nice box might sway me...

11. marmalade166

Yeah I've got the 3 CD thing they put out a while ago, plus a vinyl reissue from ages ago in a die cut sleeve that's nice so like yourself there will have to be something really enticing for me to spring for it again

I'm all in for Autumn Stone tho, I've only got a reissue from 1997 by Castle Communications of that :D

Hep Alien and Surferghost like this.
  12. marmalade166

I've been re-visiting the 2012 reissues and one thing that's annoying me is the lack of detailed track notes (and despite their saying check the website for detailed track notes, there's nothing on the website!), whereas the Immediate years boxset has really good notes - so here's hoping they carry on with that on the new Autumn Stone

Hep Alien likes this.
  13. Surferghost

That lack of session notes was a major annoyance to me too. The website was supposedly going to be a thing of wonder on a par with the Q-cloud site that was set up for the Quadrophenia Box, but that idea seemed to fall by the wayside pretty quickly. I don't think that Small Faces site has seen a single update since 2013.

Hep Alien and marmalade166 like this.
  14. Ern

Ern Senior Member

Are the multi tracks for Ogden's available?
    Would love to hear some songs remixed.

Rockin' Robby likes this.
  15. Surferghost

They weren't back in 2012 when the last deluxe edition came out (I think the only one they could locate then was for Mad John). But Rob Caiger is (I think) tweeting about listening to isolated tracks while doing some mixdowns for the box, so maybe they've found the rest of them since.

OneStepBeyond and Ern like this.
  16. marmalade166

Looking at the Immediate boxset track listing where they stripped down some tunes they had the multi-tracks for it doesn't appear so, but as Surferghost says new stuff keeps turning up so here's hoping Kenney or someone finds them in their shed

17. Tristero

Tristero In possession of the future tense

I would be curious to hear a well done remix of Ogden's if it were possible. Neither the mono nor the stereo is completely satisfying there. I generally prefer the mono but on too many tracks, they bury Marriott's vocals, most notably on "Afterglow" which is a crime since his performance really sells the song.

18. OneStepBeyond

OneStepBeyond Senior Member

Surely it was intentional to bury the vocals on Long Agos And Worlds Apart in both mono and stereo? IMO that is unfortunate. After hearing the stereo for so long, I expected a big difference when I first heard the mono.. but it wasn't there as I hoped. I wouldn't mind hearing the vocals properly, for a change! And yes, Afterglow too. Not sure how I'd 'cope' with hearing the title track of Ogden's in an alternate stereo mix; I do miss the panning in mono, even though it's a very strange one...

Rockin' Robby likes this.
  19. KinkySmallFace1991

I wonder if some bands deliberately buried their vocals? I know that Mick Jagger and Ray Davies were two singers who wanted this done.

OneStepBeyond likes this.
  20. OneStepBeyond

Hendrix too - especially all that reverby echo on Love Or Confusion (album: Are You Experienced.) But then, the mono mix is nothing at all like that - clear as a bell and upfront. One reason I hoped Long Agos would be different.

Legend has it though that some singers - most famously John Lennon - liked to play with the technology to change it radically. That can be fine but to result in obscuring the lyrics... some I've just never been able to make out on this SF song.

21. aoxomoxoa

aoxomoxoa I'm an ear sitting in the sky

Michael Stipe was known for burying vocal tracks

22. Surferghost

Yeah, it was one of the fashionable tricks during the psychedelic era. A lot of lesser-known vocalists (or at least their producers) were doing it too, just to try and up the 'otherworldly' vibe on their recordings. Tom Newman of July for example (he was later the producer of Tubular Bells among many other things) was one who was quite into reverbing, phasing and then burying his vocals at the time.
    I can never decipher the middle of that "Summer evenings...something-something...ever-y-where" sentence, and I've been trying for nearly forty years!

Last edited: Jan 14, 2018
  23. KinkySmallFace1991

And while Here Come The Nice came with a lyric book, the Deluxe Ogdens didn't. Maybe the 50th Anniversary box set will finally come with lyrics for the songs after all these years?

Hep Alien, aoxomoxoa and Surferghost like this.
  24. Surferghost

Oh yeah, that was really frustrating. The lyrics in the Nice book are still only Mac and Kenney's approximate recollections though, and I don't agree with some of them. Apparently, many of the lyrics were never actually transcribed, and a lot of the ones that were disappeared over time.

25. OneStepBeyond

Sometimes is could be a bit gimmicky - like Graham Nash on The Hollies' Lullaby To Tim. But that I suppose was more 'experimental' and the lyrics are easily audible. Similarly, the Stone's In Another Land. Same or similar tremelo effect on that. And going from your avatar you'll know what I refer to by the distortion on The Bonzo Dog Band's Humaniod Boogie but it's (wisely IMO) on just one of the stereo channels. That makes it sound quite psychedelic, I think and again, doesn't obscure any of the words.

That's the bit that always gets me in knots! :agree: