Small room treament

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by drew phillips, Jul 1, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. drew phillips

drew phillips Forum Resident Thread Starter

Hello all,
    My room is very small and i sit in a two meter triangle. I have two corner bass traps and two first reflection panels, all 4ins thick. ialso have 2ft plus of absorption behind my head.
    Would i benefit by adding more absorption or go down the diffusion road.
    Kind regards
    Drew

2. wgb113

wgb113 Forum Resident

Given that you're already sitting near/mid-field and have some treatment are you feeling that the sound is still off in some regard?

How are the floors and ceiling?

Have you carried out any measurements?

3. Andy Saunders

Andy Saunders Always a pleasure never a chore

Pictures of your room and your equipment list?:)

Mike-48 likes this.
  4. Claus

Claus Senior Member

Bass traps doesn't work in a very small room.

5. LivLif

LivLif Forum Resident

no? Can you explain please.

6. Mike-48

Mike-48 A shadow of my former self

How does it sound? Anything particular you want to make better?

7. drew phillips

drew phillips Forum Resident Thread Starter

I am pleased with the sound. I am always looking to find a way to improve. The bass traps do make a big difference to the sound.My room is below ground concrete walls and floor. I love the detail i can get from a good recording but perhaps a more defined bass would be good if possible.

8. Mike-48

Mike-48 A shadow of my former self

My room is below ground, too. In mine, given the concrete walls and floor, there are very strong bass nodes. That can make the bass seem badly defined. Bass trapping helps -- one can't have too much. However, it is way less effective under 100 Hz or so.

I also use DSP (digital signal processing) in an Anthem STR preamp. Just having the mains placed for smooth FR and good imaging, and the subs placed for their smoothest response helps a lot, given good crossovers -- and the Anthem has those. Then its room correction smoothes a few remaining blips in the bottom octaves.

If you have any interest in going the DSP route (with or without subs), miniDSP has cost-effective stuff. But if you didn't want to bother, I wouldn't blame you, especially if most of your listening is analog. If Schiit comes out with an 8-band equalizer as some have said, it might be worth investigating, Getting rid of big peaks in the bass will almost always give a more defined sound.

9. mds

mds Forum Resident

I think you have it. Now I'd look at what is in the small room in terms of furniture. A wool carpet works well. As little furniture as you can get away with. No sofa but chairs would be preferred. Moving speakers away from boundaries as best as possible. Making sure the distance out from the front wall is not equal to the distance out from the side walls. Not much else to do, maybe bass traps in all four corners. Treating the corners is important. If it works as a true fully functional "bass" trap may be up for debate but treating the corners is still important.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.