Small Screen Sagebrush: the TV Western thread

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by JozefK, Nov 25, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. clhboa

clhboa Forum Resident

Last night I picked up the 1st season of "Wild Wild West" for $7.50 at Barnes + Noble. Watched 2 episodes . I don't think I've ever watched a black in white episode before. Kickass! Plus having Suzanne Pleshette as a guest on the pilot was icing on the cake.

2. JozefK

JozefK Forum Resident Thread Starter

Gunsmoke
    "The Guitar"
    s1 e35
    Directed by Harry Horner
    Written by Sam Peckinpah, story by John Meston

Two drunks torment a simple-minded, guitar playing drifter.

Mostly a solid if unremarkable episode, this has perhaps the greatest ending in TV western history.

The ending implies one of the show's regulars took part in a lynching.

The guitar-strumming drifter is played by future mogul Aaron Spelling.

Aaron Spelling

[​IMG]

3. JozefK

I recently watched the pilot for the first time. It certainly has a helluva cast: Pleshette, Victor Buono, Nehemiah Persoff, and James Gregory in a tiny cameo as President Grant.

Not quite as steampunk as it would later be, and IMHO Ross Martin was not used as well as he could have been. Perhaps the Artemus role was written for another actor, and only shaped to fit Martin's special talents after the series went to regular production.

FWIW the role of Jim West was at one point intended for Rory Calhoun.

a customer and clhboa like this.
  4. bmasters9

bmasters9 Forum Resident

One of my favorites is on that 1959 cover (the late Richard Boone as Paladin in Have Gun, Will Travel), but not the other (Steve McQueen as Josh Randall in Wanted: Dead or Alive).

a customer likes this.
  5. The Wanderer

The Wanderer Seeker of Truth

6. smilin ed

smilin ed Senior Member

Should've shot him for snitchin' on Bonie and Cyde

Pete Puma and Ghostworld like this.
  7. groundharp

groundharp Maybe your friends think I'm just a stranger

The other Clint:
    [​IMG]
    Clint Walker

melstapler likes this.
  8. shokhead

shokhead Head shok and you still don't what it is. HA!

The cowboys and indians magazine reported that Johnny Crawford has been diagnosed with Alzheimer's. Very sad.

melstapler likes this.
  9. keef00

keef00 Senior Member

I've watched a few episodes of various TV westerns while spending some time with my 90-year-old Dad recently. "The Night of the Executioner" ep of The Big Valley was a good one, with Dennis Hopper as one of the bad guys. Saw an episode of Laramie called "Vengeance," with Lee Van Cleef and Denver Pyle as 2 revenge-seeking brothers.

melstapler and budwhite like this.
  10. melstapler

melstapler Reissue Activist

Very sad news. It's especially frustrating considering that Johnny is younger than a number of other classic western actors who are still living. My friend got to see Johnny on his music tour with the Johnny Crawford Orchestra a few years ago and really enjoyed the show. I still regret not joining them for that particular concert.

11. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

That’s probably the best stunt fight I’ve ever seen. Looks SO much better straight and not all cut up and cinematized.

12. Ignatius

Ignatius Forum Resident

Back then you couldn't find a western show that didn't have James Gregory.

13. JozefK

Tombstone Territory
    1957-60

[​IMG]

In 1880s Tombstone sheriff Clay Hollister keeps law and order, with occasional help from Tombstone Epitaph editor Harris Claibourne.

Pat Conway as sheriff Clay Hollister

[​IMG]

A Gunsmoke wannabe, showing a fictionalized version of the Wyatt Earp-John Clum relationship. Pat Conway is a curiously cold-eyed hero. But the show's big flaw is the Dragnet-style narration, complete with on-the-nose narration telling us what we're seeing.

Overall it's an entertaining series, decently produced by Ziv, with occasionally inventive p!ot twists -- if you can get past the "illustrated radio" narration.

Do You Remember... "Tombstone Territory"

14. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

GREAT THREAD! I love TV Westerns...Cheyenne was one of the best! Clint Walker a man's man indeed...

15. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

The Alvin Lee of gunfighters. :D

16. JozefK

Trivia for Godfather fans: in Pt II David Baker played one of the FBI agents guarding Pentangeli (along w/Harry Dean Stanton).

Under the name James Murdock he had earlier played Mushy the "cook's louse" on Rawhide.

[​IMG]

17. JozefK

I like the part where Marshal Dillon says "Uh-huh"

vinnie likes this.
  18. Luvtemps

Luvtemps Forum Resident

WOW,great post...I LUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUV WESTERNS...my favorite is-Cheyenne with big Clint Walker,how bout-Zorro..Tales Of The Texas Rangers..Twenty Six Men..Destry..Branded..Stagecoach West..My Friend Flicka..Fury..The Dakotas..Yancy Darringer..Riverboat..The Deputy..Guy Williams as Will Cartwright. on-Bonanza..Hotel De Parre..Annie Oakley..Man Without A Gun...keep em comin-LUV THEM SHOOT EM UPS!!!

19. shokhead

shokhead Head shok and you still don't what it is. HA!

Would sky king be considered a western?

20. Luvtemps

Luvtemps Forum Resident

I guess about as much as-The Roy Rodgers Show.

21. Talking about modern Westerns on tv, check out Pierce Brosnan's The Son. It only ran two seasons on AMC before getting canceled earlier this year but was pretty great at times. A multi-generational epic about a prominent Texas oil family.

22. clhboa

clhboa Forum Resident

A lot of these shows I'm more familiar with the Dell Comic Books than the actual shows. They didn't rerun a lot of these on channels we got in the 70's. But my Dad had hundreds of Dell comic books from when he was a kid. A very large portion were westerns. "Tales Of The Texas Rangers" were a favorite of both us kids and my Dad.

23. JozefK

A visit the gravesites of some of the actors who appeared on Rawhide.

24. Ignatius

Ignatius Forum Resident

25. JozefK

Kovacs made a straight dramatic appearance on the syndicated western Shotgun Slade, starring Scott Brady.

Mister Charlie likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.