Smashing Pumpkins' classic line up recording a new album & tour*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by ponkine, Nov 14, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dflow

Dflow Listening in the time of Dylan

Do one of those handles that Billy thanks above belong to James? Hoping he is part of plan.

MikaelaArsenault and Hep Alien like this.
  2. ModernDayWarrior

ModernDayWarrior Senior Member

I liked Ginger! She cited Geddy Lee as an influence in an interview one time. She’s cute as hell :)

I always liked that Billy had female bass players.

3. ponkine

ponkine Senior Member Thread Starter

I'm a bit worried about this

During their peak time Billy literally had DOZENS of songs, and even the B-sides or unreleased ones were great

Crimson jon, Hep Alien and Neonbeam like this.
  4. Runicen

Runicen Forum Resident

Worried that he'll end up with a glut of material you need to buy or do you feel he's slipping? :laugh:

Hep Alien likes this.
  5. TSWisla

TSWisla Forum Resident

Where did you find this info? I want to stay in the loop. For me SP was Billy and Jimmy, having James with them on the last tour was a cherry on top. I can live without D'arcy for sure. Billy played bass on first two albums IIRC.

6. amoergosum

amoergosum Forum Resident

WTF??? I hope it's nothing serious.

[​IMG]

MikaelaArsenault and Hep Alien like this.
  7. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

Why does the SP replacement bass player always have to be a female? I don’t quite get that. I guess it’s part of their image.

ponkine likes this.
  8. amoergosum

>>>

"This is kind of a tongue-in-cheek question, but aside from working with David Pajo and, as you said, Mark Tulin, you seem to favor female bass players. Is there something to the feminine yin with regards to the bass?

I don’t know. Women seem to play bass more than they play guitar, in the people I’ve encountered. That said, I do like the way the women that I’ve played music with approach their instrument. They do play differently; the ones that I play with, they play differently than men do.

How so?

They just tend to have a different pocket with it. Men tend to play more aggressively. Maybe it’s just a byproduct of testosterone; I know I play aggressively.

So, does it lend a more soulfulness to your music?

Honestly, this is going to be a bit of a boring answer; I just like the way that it pockets into the music. I play guitar pretty much on top, and so the bass is better laconic. If the bass is too on top, like for example, Melissa Auf der Maur. When she played with us, she played very on top, and it was constantly tripping all over the ****ing guitars. It’s hard to get… the Pumpkins’ sound. If you can bottle it, it’s sort of predicated on the idea the guitars are clearly on top and ahead of the drums; the drums sit in the middle, and the bass is a little back, so it has an impact and wide-scope sound. That’s the sound that I like to hear. Maybe it was developed through playing with D’Arcy and the way she played. I got used to that feeling, and so I’ve looked for that feeling ever since. So, if I found a man who could play like that, I would have no problem putting him in there. Mark Tulin played like that."

Interview: Billy Corgan (of Smashing Pumpkins)

9. amoergosum

10. ModernDayWarrior

Maybe it was his sort of tribute to something along the lines of Cheap Trick with the 2 good looking guys and the 2 oddballs. Probably a look he wanted associated with the Pumpkins. Hell I wouldn’t mind a nice looking bass player to my right all the time ;)

Hep Alien and GodShifter like this.
  11. Devotional

Devotional Senior Member

Billy's Instagram. “Last day of doing demos and writing. It’s been super-productive (16 songs worked on), positive, and fun. Has definitely restored my faith and love for this kind of team effort. Kudos to all involved…" He later posted "Ok, make that 17 songs worked on. Thank you Village Recorder, Los Angeles! Our home away from home, where we mixed Mellon Collie, Adore, made much of Zeitgeist, and where I did my demos for Ogilala."

Jeff Schroeder was photographed playing bass at the sessions. Since this apparently was a demos/writing session, it doesn't really say much about the D'arcy-situation. Billy has been down with the flu lately. Let's hope he addresses this issue as soon as he gets better.

12. TSWisla

TSWisla Forum Resident

Thank you for the update. I don't use Instagram. Much appreciated.

Devotional likes this.
  13. VinylMario

VinylMario The Crow

14. Orthogonian Blues

Orthogonian Blues A man with a fork in a world full of soup.

I see he has Jeff Schroeder tagged in his studio posts, so I guess he is involved as well.

Now then, sorry to be a throwback Freida, but I hope that this (partial) reunion prompts the Pumpkins' label to release the Machina 1 and 2 box sets they've been sitting on for so long!

Freek999 and Hep Alien like this.
  15. FourWalledWorld

FourWalledWorld Forum Resident

Hep Alien and pinkrudy like this.
  16. amoergosum

17. FourWalledWorld

FourWalledWorld Forum Resident

Maybe Jeff Schroeder has moved to bass? I'm not sure why he would be included in "official" band shots otherwise and they hardly need a third guitarist.

Hep Alien likes this.
  18. ponkine

ponkine Senior Member Thread Starter

19. Vinyl Fan 1973

Vinyl Fan 1973 "They're like soup, they're like....nothing bad"

Super bummed that D'arcy won't be involved in the reunion. I guess 3 is better than 0, but I was really looking forward to the real thing, new music and seeing them live again, after all these years.

Bummer.

Hep Alien likes this.
  20. TSWisla

TSWisla Forum Resident

Any other news?

21. deadbirdie

deadbirdie Senior Member

Same here, bummed. Adding James is fine, but I was really hoping for an actual REUNION of the original band.

Oh well, I'll still go see them.

Hep Alien likes this.
  22. ModernDayWarrior

Is he gonna have Jeff Schroder play bass or as a third guitar player?

I’m also bummed D’arcy isn’t a part of this.

Hep Alien likes this.
  23. Vinyl Fan 1973

Vinyl Fan 1973 "They're like soup, they're like....nothing bad"

Me too, I won't pass up the chance to see them. I saw them in 1993, right on the floor in front of D'arcy, and it was an amazing show. Jimmy is a beast live, it's really something to see and hear.

Hep Alien and deadbirdie like this.
  24. deadbirdie

deadbirdie Senior Member

Looks like Jeff will be on bass.

Hep Alien likes this.
  25. deadbirdie

deadbirdie Senior Member

I saw the original lineup in '93, then again in '99 on the Arising 'reunion' tour. Both shows were incredible. Much better than any other show i've seen with their various other lineups. They really did have a great chemistry live.

Hep Alien and Vinyl Fan 1973 like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.