Smashing Pumpkins' classic line up recording a new album & tour*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by ponkine, Nov 14, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. amoergosum

amoergosum Forum Resident

2. Devotional

Devotional Senior Member

Yes, I wish this wasn't true too, but D'arcy herself has come forward and shared a lot of details through Blast Echo + her own Facebook-page yesterday and today.

Here is the article:

D’arcy Reveals All About Her Exclusion from Smashing Pumpkins “Reunion” – BlastEcho

D'arcy linked to the article on her Facebook-page, but added that there is one mistake in the article that will be corrected tomorrow, which is that James did play on the one Rick Rubin-produced song.

She posted even more on Facebook, but I don't know if it's right to repost it here. I'm sure you can find it if you want.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2018
    Hep Alien and Aftermath like this.
  3. amoergosum

4. stonesfcr

stonesfcr Forum Resident

This sucks, all this buzz about a reunion and they dont get D'arcy??, its like GNR and Izzy, we all know these bands cant come up with fresh or extremely interesting music today, so at least let the fans watch ALL the original members jam on stage one last time

5. Devotional

Devotional Senior Member

@amoergosum , this may sound very hypocritical coming from me, as I'm usually the first person to seek out the hot tea, but maybe we should think twice about reposting the Facebook messages? Yes, I'm sure they will spread like wildfire, but they might not be meant for public forums. People can find them if they want, but they're of a very personal nature, and she has taken down stuff she has posted before. She has every right to be upset, and I completely support her decision to "out" Billy, but you know how the mechanics of social media + the press works. D'arcy doesn't come across as very tech savvy, which puts her in a vulnerable position (see the recent fake accounts/comment section debacle etc.), and I just think we should act with a bit of care and compassion when it comes to this particular case.

Just a thought, btw, and I totally respect your position if you don't see a problem with it. :)

D.B. and Aftermath like this.
  6. Pim

Pim Forum Resident

So... basically this is just James Iha joining again? Chamberlin has been in/out of the band for years AFAIK.

D.B. likes this.
  7. ronm

ronm audiofreak

Am I the only one who would rather they just let a sleeping dog lie?

Runicen and blackstar like this.
  8. QuestionMark?

QuestionMark? 4TH N' GOAL

I would like a new album. What is the harm in that? If it sucks, so be it. I don't look at it as ruining a legacy like the Beatles, or something!

piepants and Hep Alien like this.
  9. blackstar

blackstar Senior Member

You're not.

ronm likes this.
  10. Vern

Vern Forum Resident

I wonder if she still evens plays the bass for fun.

11. Kill Uncle Meat

Kill Uncle Meat Forum Resident

She does.

12. motionoftheocean

motionoftheocean Senior Member

I'm not really sure how one song with 3/4 of the lineup followed by a tour of 3/4 of the lineup plus whomever is really a reunion, especially when that 3/4 of the lineup thing has happened a bunch of times in recent years, but ok. Corgan's exclusively about cash grabs so kudos to him if he's found another way to drain that teat.

13. amoergosum

2016:

"And speaking of those I’ve been fortunate enough to share the stage with, I see that it’s D’arcy Wretzky’s birthday today: So a big and happy B-Day to her from here! I’m encouraged to hear that she is playing music once more, and writing songs. As I’ve often said, no one had better musical discernment in our band than she.

Billy Corgan Talks D’arcy Wretzky In Smashing Pumpkins Tour Postmortem Essay

Hep Alien likes this.
  14. vinyl diehard

vinyl diehard Two-Channel Forever

Drama. This is so BC.

Hep Alien likes this.
  15. Agent 34

Agent 34 Forum Resident

I’ll wait for their side of the story. With everything that is known and assumed about D’arcy over the last two decades, it’s not inconceivable that they’re leaving her out for her own good.

She was approached, a contract was offered and something went wrong.

Runicen likes this.
  16. JeffMo

JeffMo Format Agnostic

The word soap opera comes to mind.

I'm going to play Siamese Dream today though!

vinyl diehard likes this.
  17. lennonfan1

lennonfan1 Senior Member

could this all just possibly be hype? :)
    I'd pay attention if D'arcy was involved. She was never afraid to call Billy on his BS and for that she should have been given humanitarian awards but still, Mellon didn't really need to be 3 albums long:)
    but when they were on they were on....

18. andres lira

andres lira Forum Resident

It wouldn't be a proper SP reunion without a fair share of drama

Hep Alien likes this.
  19. Runicen

Runicen Forum Resident

That BlastEcho article contains one line that makes me just roll my eyes and want to drop the whole subject:

One side of the story ending with no explanations, but a click-bait "stay tuned" ending... Yeah, considering that Corgan has at least maintained a career as a musician, his personal foibles notwithstanding, I'm inclined to assume he had reason and this is more nonsense from a band member who, unfortunately, has found it difficult to keep her life together. Sad if on the mark, but D'arcy isn't exactly someone I'd take as a star witness based on personal credibility.

And, so it's said, part of me would prefer to be proven wrong.

20. FourWalledWorld

FourWalledWorld Forum Resident

21. RichC

RichC Forum Resident

You didn't see them at the first Lolla, you saw them at the fourth one from 1994, along with the Beastie Boys.
    NIN and Jane's and Ice-T and Living Colour were indeed from the first one, in 1991. Pumpkins and Beasties were years later. They might've still sucked, but get the facts straight.

22. eyeCalypso

eyeCalypso Forum Resident

What you say is correct but there was a side stage. Did the Pumpkins play tunes on a few dates in '91? (Just theorizing)

23. DTK

DTK Forum Resident

Billy already ruined the "legacy" ever since 1995 or so.

Neonbeam and QuestionMark? like this.
  24. Devotional

Devotional Senior Member

I suppose it's too late for damage control now, as D'arcy's Facebook-post including the SMS that was not part of the Blast Echo-article has been shared by fans to Billy's Instagram, and he has read it. :shake:

[​IMG]

Pitchfork has also reached out to the band’s representatives for further comment on the D'arcy-situation.

Hep Alien likes this.
  25. marblesmike

marblesmike Forum Resident

God I love this band.

And to the person who said Billy is all about cash-grabs---

Does investing in an amateur/semi-pro wrestling league count as a cash grab? Does putting out an acoustic solo album under the name "WPC" or "William Patrick Corgan" when he's always been know as "Billy" sound like a cash grab? Or playing tours (WPC solo and Oceania tours) where the new albums are played in full for the opening set?

I get that he's got personality issues that have impacted some of his relationships in the industry and with fans, but a "cash grab" to me would be a reunion tour without new supporting material...and I'd love every minute of it!

SirMarc, Freek999, snipe and 7 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.