SME Price Increases

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Satrus, Feb 1, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 33na3rd

33na3rd Forum Resident

Perhaps I shouldn't be surprised by this announcement, but I am.

Thank you for sharing this.

2. Classicrock

Classicrock Senior Member

This is absolutely unbelievable. On the plus side my 309 has just jumped in used value. It will rather damage the likes of Michell and Avid who's decks rely on these models for a synergistic performance. I imagine that tonearm sales have crashed as they have risen around 80% in price since 2017. It likely means the end of the M2 series altogether. Let's hope these clowns fail and get bought out. The new TT models look more lifestyle products at very steep prices indeed, unless there is going to be a budget range.

3. misterdecibel

misterdecibel Bulbous Also Tapered

This is what happens when a family owned business is bought out by corporate/financial types.

4. Dubmart

Dubmart Senior Member

If I was a deck manufacturer with an engineering capability like Michell or Avid I'd be looking at designing my own SME beating arm, I was planning to buy a couple of M2-12Rs in 2021/22 I'd even spoken to my favourite retailer to confirm they'd do me a big enough discount that I could afford the arms, we didn't get into a final figure, no point as I wasn't buying for 18 months, but I think they know SMEs are over priced and were happy to get a small margin from a regular customer than not sell me two arms, I guess my decks will be mounting something from a different manufacturer, thanks SME for stabbing us in the back.

5. misterdecibel

misterdecibel Bulbous Also Tapered

I guess the M2 line will just be gone now, since they aren't fitted to any of the SME decks.

6. Dubmart

Dubmart Senior Member

They may ditch the M2s which are probably still too cheap for the "new" SME, but the M2Rs will be fitted on the Garrard 301s so they should be safe.

7. jh901

jh901 Forum Resident

Put this into perspective. Roughly how many non SME TT models are sold with SME tonearms or are intended to used with them? And how large was their share of the stand alone tonearm market (direct to consumer)?

Rolltide likes this.
  8. Dubmart

Dubmart Senior Member

I'd guess most Avids use SMEs, most Michell owners aspire to them, a large number of vintage Garrard and Thorens owners choose them, they were also popular with many of the crazy money decks, I know that before the price rise they seemed to be selling well for a four figure product, I suspect that sales have nosedived since though.

Cyclone Ranger likes this.
  9. Rolltide

Rolltide Forum Resident

You stop that right now! SME stopped making tonearms because they hate their customers and want them to be unhappy. It's all part on the global war on audiophiles. The streaming services will be confiscating our CDs within the week.

10. MGW

MGW Less travelling, more listening

The principle is right but the 309 now retails at a gnat's whisker under £2500. So the saving us about that and not £3400.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2019
  11. Just Walking

Just Walking Forum Resident

They are clearly losing the plot. That is a disastrous commercial decision. SME arms were added to classic decks like the Garrard 301 and 401. My 401 has an SMEIV with optional damper, and I was holding out the possibility of upgrading to a 12" version at some stage. That closes off that option.

Bugger

12. Just Walking

Just Walking Forum Resident

Of course sellers of SME arms on eBay will be having a field day. Just watch the prices soar.

Classicrock likes this.
  13. Classicrock

I corrected my figures in a previous post.

14. Satrus

Satrus Forum Resident Thread Starter

I think you may have nailed it right there. The sharp increase in prices may well have reduced demand for SME tonearms significantly and sales have slumped. Thinking with the more sinister side of my brain, wouldn't it be a perfect way to cut out/harm other U.K. companies like Avid and Michell who are competition for SME in the turntable sector? I hope the former is the reason though, and I imagine it is. I really cannot see many additional people being drawn to purchase SME turntables considering the price points they now occupy. An SME turntable, at this point in time, is a very significant purchase decision. Consider also that once they are shipped out of the United Kingdom the currency exchange factor 'kicks in' as do local importation taxes and you have an even pricier proposition. I can't really get around the new owner's strategy unless there is a surge of interest in the company's turntables in Asia. for instance? I read Art Dudley's Stereophile review of the Garrard 301 in December's Stereophile and I was somewhat overwhelmed with the price, USD$23,500 for the North American market! I think Art himself was having similar thoughts.

Cyclone Ranger likes this.
  15. caracallac

caracallac Forum Resident

The strategy of SME's new owners makes no sense to me.

16. MGW

MGW Less travelling, more listening

Congratulations, fact-checking is a great thing if done in the right sequence, then again ... not going there!

17. PATB

PATB Recovering Vinyl Junkie

I lusted after an SME table ever since seeing a 20/3 in person at a local store. The machining, solid feel, and fit of that table made other tables at the store look like toys. Sadly, I will have to slum it with my current table, as there is no way I can justify $13K even for the low-end SME 15A :shake:.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2019
    macster likes this.
  18. Cyclone Ranger

Cyclone Ranger New old stock

It seems an incredibly stupid decision on SME’s part.

But also one of several since the new owners took over, so what’s one more? :(

19. wownflutter

wownflutter Nocturnal Member

For those that own a 309 with extra headshells.
    Do you find that the azimuth needs to be tweaked each time you swap the headshells?

20. Uglyversal

Uglyversal Forum Resident

They just want more money relying on their name and forcing you to spend even more on a full TT. At current prices other than from the collectable point of view I wouldn't rush to buy them. I have an Orbe with a Jelco I bought recently and I no longer crave trying the V or the IV which previously were on my sight when considering changing the arm, I am fairly satisfied with the Jelco for the moment.

Cyclone Ranger, GyroSE and geodiak like this.
  21. Uglyversal

Somehow I think once they start seeing the results this might be reversed. I doubt all the wanna be SME arm buyers will now buy instead a full TT from them. Money talks.

22. Classicrock

The 309 was practically as good. I bought one just before the first price hikes nearly 3 years ago. Odd they still show a row of 309 arms on their home page when in fact only a derivative is available with their latest TT models (just rebranding I assume). I can't think of another manufacturer that doesn't sell their arms separately as well as TT packages. My guess is down the line arms will reappear, even if new models, as I can't see this strategy working long term. It's obvious the price hikes have backfired in terms of arm sales revenue. Likely you can get away with higher TT prices more easily due to the structure of the high end market. Ironically this could benefit Linn of all people. The new TT models appear to have switched to DC motors, something Michell have been doing for years. I'm pretty mad because SME/ Michell was a great match and relatively great value at this level. I would likely look at one of the top Project arms , Audio Note or Audio Mods as alternatives. I don't think the quality of Jelco arms are in same league. Actually none of them are so finely engineered as SME even if they arguably are better sounding. The ease of cartridge alignment on SME arms is unmatched.

23. Uglyversal

I have watched the SME prices steadily increase in the last few years, my interest decrease went proportionally opposite to the price. No doubt they are very good arms but there is a limit to how much I think they are worth. I've even considered the M2 for a classic look which I could get a decent price new, Audio Note was my other contender and Origin live to a lesser extent but I thought in taking this gamble with the Jelco.

Like you I had several misgivings and I kind of was set up to be thoroughly disappointed but I still went ahead and purchased it. To my surprise I loved immediately the internal wires are excellent, the exchangeable headshells (horror faces for some) added great flexibility. While I haven't touched it the original headshell included an azimuth adjustment too.

There are some points I do not like but on the whole I am very satisfied, in caase anybody is wondering I am talking about the TK850S. The seller included a Jelco phono cable but as per my previous experience with a Jelco DIN/RCA interconnect I didn't like that one either and I am not using it as it affects the dynamics and general sound.

I have also bought from the UK a base for the Jelco with a caliper that allows you to change and repeat the VTA settings on the fly in theory (not quite in reality but it is a convenient tool/accessory).

With SME producing those arms for so long I am sure there'll be no shortage of them anytime soon but you will have to pay through the nose as sellers will take advantage of this opportunity. I can't blame them but for me prices have been already too high for some time.

Halloween_Jack and Just Walking like this.
  24. SME12A

SME12A Takumi forever

If anybody has a brand new, never used, and recent run SME V for sale in US - let me know. It has to be black.

Thanks!

25. Dubmart

Dubmart Senior Member

There is one retailer in the UK that appears to be stocking brand new current production SME arms, but the prices are insane, here's a link: SME - Manufacturers | Hard To Find Hi-Fi

SME12A likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.