' Smell The Glove ' : A 35 ( and a half ) Year Anniversary Tribute To Spinal Tap

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Wildest cat from montana, Sep 24, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. vince

vince Stan Ricker's son-in-law

"I will make you,
    SMELL THE GLOVE,
    and, try to look sincere!"

O Don Piano, SRC and Instant Dharma like this.
  2. team2

team2 Forum Resident

I remember when Nigel, David and Derek were on Arsenio Hall in 1992 promoting Break Like The Wind. Arsenio asked, "How do you feel about the criticism you've gotten from feminists such as Gloria Steinem?" Nigel replied, "That's a shame, because I loved her in Sunset Boulevard!"

3. Derek Slazenger

Derek Slazenger Specs, rugs & rock n roll

4. vudicus

vudicus Forum Resident

Derek Slazenger and longdist01 like this.
  5. Tanx

Tanx Forum Resident

I first saw this a year after it came out. I was already laughing, but during "Listen to the Flower People," when Derek mouthed "We love you," I fell off my chair. I don't know (really, don't want to know) how many times I've seen it since then.

6. SRC

SRC That sums up Squatter for me

Yeah, I goofed, I got home and checked and it's not Criterion, it's the MGM Special Edition DVD version I have that I love.

Derek Slazenger likes this.
  7. redsock

redsock Writer, reader, grouch.

I recall reading, several decades ago, that Paul Stanley and Gene Simmons got pissed and walked out of the theater. ... (I'd look it up to make sure, but then I might find it's an urban legend, which I'd rather not know.)

(Now that I think about it, the lyrics to "Tonight I'm Gonna Rock You Tonight" sound like about a dozen Kiss songs.)

Last edited: Sep 28, 2019
  8. redsock

redsock Writer, reader, grouch.

9. longdist01

longdist01 Senior Member

10. Slack Babbath

Slack Babbath Hit The North...

It’s got to be the crime of the century that this scene was not cut in the original cut of the film .

With some of these components
    “Save me one with the pilchards I’m just going to call Jeanine”
    The Charles and Diana stash tin
    Tony ‘one sock on one sock off’ pizza microphone performance.

I just can’t figure out why it ended up in the cutting room floor.

Genius

11. Slack Babbath

Slack Babbath Hit The North...

“Wanker”
    “He’s got this much talent”
    “We had to apologise for him with our set , people were still booing them when we were on”

Brilliant.

It’s tipping down here and I think the only course of action is to watch Tap again .

12. Derek Slazenger

Derek Slazenger Specs, rugs & rock n roll

Thanks pal :)

vudicus likes this.
  13. vudicus

vudicus Forum Resident

I thought that too for many years, but if you watch the blu-ray, you can clearly see 8 strings on the top neck.
    Both headstocks only have 4 tuning pegs, the other 4 are at the other end of the Bass.
    I was very disappointed when I found out they were not both 4 string.

SRC, GodShifter and Shawn like this.
  14. MickAvory

MickAvory Forum Resident

I've loved this film since my dad told me about it years ago. He frequently said 'Spinal Tap... Spinal Tap.. gotta see Spinal Tap' and when I was in high school I finally got a hold of the VHS and watched it. Its a film that I quote with a co-worker on almost a daily basis...

We try to top each other with references as they relate to our job. We've tended to use the common ones over the years like Lick My Love Pump, Enormo-dome, Gotta sit down and wait for the limo.. Dubly... and a few others.. one of our faves is not a quote, but the look Derek gives when he kind of makes a 'shrug' with his pipe. I forget what scene... maybe the Stonehenge discussion. We use that one frequently.. especially when something ridiculous comes up.

But after 13 years (we work in a Catholic school).... I FINALLY got to reference St. Hubbins being the patron saint of quality footwear.

15. NickCarraway

NickCarraway Forum Resident

Well that right there lands it in the Library of Congress's collection of historically significant motion pictures.

16. longdist01

longdist01 Senior Member

17. sunspot42

sunspot42 Forum Resident

We've hit the early '80s in the Every Billboard #1 Hits thread here on the forum, which means a bunch of legacy acts hitting the upper reaches of the charts for the first time (REO Speedwagon, J. Geils Band), plus a few comebacks (Moody Blues), before MTV sort of blew most of them away. Hearing those living fossils rock out naturally reminded me of Spinal Tap, so I spun the soundtrack yesterday on the way home and had forgotten just how thoroughly they'd slain a broad swath of rockers, everyone from David Bowie to Ozzy Osbourne. I haven't seen the film in at least a decade. Guess I'm due for a rewatch.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.