Smile -- Do You Like Worms version

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by perfectpawn, Dec 7, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. perfectpawn

perfectpawn Forum Resident Thread Starter

I was playing my Vigotone Smile 3LP for the first time in 20 years and I'd forgotten it has this great version of Do You Like Worms, one I've never heard anywhere else. It's on Side C and is more of a surfadelic take on the track...starts off like the other versions, but when it goes into the Hawaiian chant part, there's a staticy noise (I assume supposed to be the sound of the ocean) and the surf guitar is much more pronounced. I never picked up the Smile Sessions set, but I don't believe I've heard this track on any of the various fanmixes, which would imply people aren't using it for a reason -- either they don't like it, it's not available in better quality, or whatever.

Does anyone know the version I'm referring to, and maybe have more info on it? Would love to know if it's been officially released...doubt it's on the Smile 2LP, though. I could break out my Dominic Priore book on Smile but I thought I'd just come here and find some experts. Thanks!

2. Daniel Plainview

Daniel Plainview God's Lonely Man

3. soniclovenoize

soniclovenoize Forum Resident

:: Total Music Magazine ::

Total Music:
    In the early '90s you covered the Beach Boy's ‘Do You Like Worms?’ is it really true that it features on some bootlegs as a rare Beach Boy out-take?

[​IMG]
    Billy: “Right after the first LP was released in 1990, I ventured back into the recording studio to work on a follow-up single. I had been listening to the Beach Boys Smile outtakes for a number of years and decided to cover one of the tracks that had never been officially recorded by the Beach Boys or covered by any other band at that time ('Do You Like Worms?'). After I finished my version of the track, I sent a few cassette copies out to some key fans and press that were followers of my work at the time and somehow a copy got to a radio station that was doing a special on the Beach Boys. Evidently the track was played on the show and touted as an unreleased version of a Smile outtake – to this day I don't know if the DJ knew it was a cover or thought it really was an outtake. From this, the track wound up on several Smile bootlegs. One was a very elaborate three LP set on colored vinyl, with a poster and original track sheets from the recording sessions. When it came to my track, it said recorded November 1966 (when I was 6 years old). After many years of defending the truth that this was not a Beach Boys outtake but a cover version in 1996 when Brian Wilson toured Smile, in the tour book it read that Ant-Bee was the first band to cover 'Do You Like Worms?' - ahhh, finally redeemed!”

notesofachord, supermd and willy like this.
  4. Platterpus

Platterpus Senior Member

The Ant Bee of leftover Mothers Of Invention band members?

notesofachord likes this.
  5. perfectpawn

perfectpawn Forum Resident Thread Starter

That's crazy! Yep, that's it! Well, that at least explains why it doesn't show up on any fanmixes...! Thanks!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.