SNL 40th Anniversary Special

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Muzyck, Feb 15, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BluesOvertookMe

BluesOvertookMe Forum Resident

If there was a DVD of just Celebrity Jeopardy, I'd buy it and watch it often.

Billy Infinity and JimC like this.
  2. Squealy

Squealy Forum Hall Of Fame

She actually did have a spotty filmography before she died -- in the nine years after she left SNL she made a few movies with her husband Gene Wilder but she was never really able to parlay her SNL success into much else (though she was ill about a third of that time).

3. czeskleba

czeskleba Senior Member

Are there people on this thread bagging on him for his career failures? Maybe there are and I missed it, since it's a long thread. But it seems like most of the discussion was about the fact that he did not look well, coupled with the suggestion that maybe he shouldn't have been given so much time onscreen since he appeared to be struggling and not really able to perform, for whatever reason.

4. jojopuppyfish

jojopuppyfish Senior Member

I remember someone telling me how awful Haunted Honeymoon was when that was released. She had a terrible film career.
    Jane Curtin has been one of the most successful after SNL. Not many people say they've been on 3 hit tv shows

MekkaGodzilla likes this.
  5. danner

danner Forum Resident

I always liked her too. Marc Maron interviewed her fairly recently on WTF.

6. SizzleVonSizzleton

SizzleVonSizzleton The Last Yeti

I wasn't specifically referring to this thread. Clearly I was unclear. Chalk another one up for the Canadian school system!

7. danner

danner Forum Resident

I think a lot of the ragging on Chevy is partly due to his reputation of not being the nicest guy in the world.

kevywevy likes this.
  8. vertigone

vertigone Forum Resident

Speaking of WTF, I just listened to the new one with Harry Shearer. He really didn't have anything good to say about his time at SNL.

9. and leaving after one season...

10. OldSoul

OldSoul Don't you hear the wind blowin'?

Denny Dillon definitely didn't write that article. She's quite mad about the whole thing.

11. I believe the feeling is mutual. He seems to be a difficult guy to work with.

12. czeskleba

czeskleba Senior Member

Yes. In case anyone had any lingering doubts, Mark Evanier says he received an email from her in which she confirms she did not write it.

13. I love her work but it seems she had a lot of issues and was not easy to get along with. Gilda and Bill Murray's relationship apparently flipped from lovey dovey to screaming matches on a regular basis. Could be that hurt her professional prospects.

14. There is one out there in Internetland somewhere.

15. AZRunner

AZRunner Forum Resident

I wonder why this classic performance wasn't shown? John Belushi insisted that if he were to make a guest appearance, that they had to book the punk band Fear. Belushi and Minor Threat/Fugazi's Ian MacKaye were in the mosh pit. A riot ensued with the real punks MacKaye brought with him, causing damage and resulting in the abrupt fade to commercial. Right before the fade you can see a punk onstage about to launch a huge pumpkin. Apparently they knocked over cameras after the cut and police had to be called.

16. TheHumungous

TheHumungous Active Member

Kroeger was probably the least funny cast member ever on SNL.

stereoptic likes this.
  17. jojopuppyfish

Brad Hall was worse

MekkaGodzilla and Mister Charlie like this.
  18. chacha

chacha Forum Resident In Memoriam

I like his wife though!

Mazzy and Mister Charlie like this.
  19. Eh, I thought he was OK - he had a certain preppy charm, although it's not like he had any range or anything.

20. I like Mackaye's telling of the story - how he was kind of freaked to actually get a call from Lorne Michaels and Belushi, who told him "I want you guys to come up to New York and show 'em what it's about." :laugh:

AZRunner likes this.
  21. czeskleba

czeskleba Senior Member

Brad Hall had a smug "I think I'm funny even though I'm not" quality that was really annoying. I would rate him much worse than Kroeger.

Sherman likes this.
  22. MLutthans

MLutthans That's my spaghetti, Chewbacca! Staff

What the heck?! I've somehow managed to miss this all these years, and I thought I'd seen just about everything SNL. Thanks for posting this.

Is Belushi REALLY there, or is that urban legend? Is he visible in the video at all?

23. jojopuppyfish

And I only pick on Brad Hall and Kroeger because Christine Ebersole & Tony Rosato were on fewer years....but they were just as irrelevant.

24. MLutthans

MLutthans That's my spaghetti, Chewbacca! Staff

Gotta love the brainiacs in the Youtube comment section:
    Screen shot 2015-02-27 at 11.58.09 AM.png Screen shot 2015-02-27 at 11.58.21 AM.png

25. chacha

chacha Forum Resident In Memoriam

Wasn't Brad Hall mainly a writer?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.