SNL Celebrity Jeopardy!

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Jimbo, May 6, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jimbo

Jimbo Forum Hall Of Fame Thread Starter

The Celebrity Jeopardy! sketches have been some of the funniest bits on SNL over the past couple of years. Here's a link to transcripts for some of the skits. Warning: if you read these at work, you might attract stares from your coworkers from laughing out loud! (Take it from me!) :laugh:

http://www.geocities.com/katnine11/celebjeopardy.html

2. RDK

RDK Active Member

Great link, Jimbo, thanks!

While the SNL Jeopardy sketches are often hilarious, I sometimes have a problem "getting" them. I mean, the celeb impersonations are funny, but the humor stems from the celebs acting like idiots... and I've never considered Connery or any other others that they use to be especially stupid. That's why, for me at least, there's a sort of thematic disconnect between the parody and the objects of the parody. Nevertheless, they are funny.

I think my favorite SNL game show parody of recent memory was the Hollywood Squares when the playing board came crashing down, burying the nine celebs in rubble. It was especially funny to me since a buddy of mine was on the real H'wood Squares show just the week before (and won a big screen TV and some cash!).

Ray

3. Matt

Matt New Member

In the first one, Connery was portrayed as being dumb, but after that, he was just being malicious towards Trebek, which made it funnier. I don't think any of the impressions are meant to be accurate, that is, a jab at how the characters are in real life. They're in the same spirit as Phil Hartman's Ed McMahon or Carvey's Bush; they're more like twisted caricatures that bear little resemblance to the real thing.

Anyone ever see Larry Sanders, when Carvey is a guest and plans to do Larry? He gives a pretty good explanation of his approach (though it still doesn't ease Larry).

4. Lownotes

Lownotes Senior Member

What about the quiz show they did where the answers were taken from polls of high school students? That one killed me!

5. lsupro

lsupro King of Ignorers

Thanks for the link!

Great Stuff!

6. Michael St. Clair

Michael St. Clair Forum Resident

I'll take famous titties for $2000.

That's famous titles, Mr. Connery.

It looks like this is my lucky day. I'll take the rapists for $200.

That's therapists, not the rapists.

7. Beatlelennon65

Beatlelennon65 Active Member

anal bum cover for $1000 please.
    Ah yes anal bum covers, been working on one of those for years.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.