SNL complete season sets

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by averica, Jan 30, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. averica

averica infinite rider on the big dogma Thread Starter

they stopped after 5 but i wish they wouldve continued.sure,some of the early 80's stuff was awful but i'd like to have them anyhow.

Dan C likes this.
  2. Daniel Plainview

Daniel Plainview God's Lonely Man

Id love sets from 87-92. That was my favorite period for the show.

3. zebop

zebop Well Known Stranger

The ones I'd want to see are 85-86 and 86-87.

RoyalScam likes this.
  4. averica

those were some solid years

905 likes this.
  5. Why were they stopped? Low sales, presumably?

Matthew Tate likes this.
  6. averica

i believe so,which i thought was odd but i guess not everyone shares the same nostalgia.i liked having complete episodes and all those great musical guests

audiomixer likes this.
  7. They stopped the sets where Lorne Michaels originally left the show. I'd love the Short-Crystal season but that was from the Ebersol years

8. MarkTheShark

MarkTheShark Senior Member

I am so glad to have the original SNL on DVD. What annoys me about the DVDs though, is the "bumper issue" -- it makes sense that they were cut, given the technicalities -- if I understand correctly, when they went to a commercial break, in the control room they'd put up a slide with live audio of the band playing so if watching at home, you'd only see a few seconds of the very tail end of it. I get that, assuming I'm correct about this.

But what annoys me more than the bumpers being cut is how they added fake applause at the breaks to make the show play as if it was played straight through.

Anyway...my guess is Lorne Michaels may not have been keen on going forward releasing the seasons after he left the show. I think I remember reading that when they used to show old SNL reruns in the middle of the night on "NBC All Night," Michaels had control over what got shown. On rare occasions, a "non-Michaels" era show would appear, but not very often.

kevywevy likes this.
  9. NaturalD

NaturalD The King of Pop

The fact that the first 5 seasons are still available new and cheap on Amazon suggests to me the sales didn't warrant the costs, especially all those music rights. They would have to expect even far lower sales for season 6, where Eddie Murphy was the only really notable cast member and all the originals were gone. So it's not too surprising they stopped at 5, which is where I would have stopped buying anyway.

10. Matthew Tate

Matthew Tate Forum Resident

you don't think Gilbert Gottfried and Joe Piscopo were notable cast members?

11. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

Bought mine for Danny and John, and I love 'em !!!

Matthew Tate likes this.
  12. NaturalD

NaturalD The King of Pop

I forgot about GG -- love him but maybe he hadn't hit his stride by then? And Piscopo doesn't seem as well remembered as Murphy and the 70s cast. Can't really imagine Gilbert or Joe driving physical media sales.

Last edited: Jan 30, 2019
    Jerry Horne and Matthew Tate like this.
  13. Exit Flagger

Exit Flagger Forum Resident

On Hulu they also have the first 5 seasons and then only 1 episode from Season 8 (Lily Tomlin) and then they jump all the way to Season 30 in 2004.

14. pocofan

pocofan Senior Member

I got the first five seasons dirt cheap when Circuit City closed. Glad I got them. But there are some other seasons I would like to have.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  15. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

I have all 5...bought them as they were released...

Al Kuenster and Matthew Tate like this.
  16. Roland Stone

Roland Stone Offending Member

Would love the Crystal, Guest, Short season(s). I thought those were the most consistently funny shows.

Package this with the Cinemax SCTV episodes (which I've never seen), while I'm wishing.

17. Marry a Carrot

Marry a Carrot Interesting blues gets a convincing reading.

18. aoxomoxoa

aoxomoxoa I'm an ear sitting in the sky

Yeah I saw that. The Lily Tomlin episode couldn't be from season 8. That is a mistake

19. OldSoul

OldSoul Don't you hear the wind blowin'?

It's from the first 2 seasons.

20. Timeless Classics

Timeless Classics Senior Member

I can't find the majority of the skits online that I loved growing up - late 80s to mid 90s... enough if I could watch them on YouTube, but there is a lot that is available anywhere. Even if Netflix picked up the episodes or some other streaming service would be better than nothing. I can't believe in this century, with all the technology and available content, they can't release these complete SNL series? hard to believe. I really miss some of those skits and guest appearances.

905 and Dan C like this.
  21. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

That is caRAYzee. They really should have every single episode from every single season up for streaming, at the very least. Even a "Best of SNL Season 6," "Best of SNL Season 7," ""Best of SNL Season 8" and similar compilations would be good: put together the best 3 hours of sketches from the entire season, and add a couple of musical numbers. It could be done -- all they have to do is want to do it. All the material has been carefully archived and prepared.

22. planetexpress

planetexpress Searchin' for light in the darkness of insanity.

For the record, Netflix used to have 20~40 minute highlights of every SNL episode but then the rights went to Hulu and then Yahoo Screen where they broke out the episodes into skits, removing the intros / end credits which just made it harder to find anything.... Then Yahoo screen failed and all those skits got ported to the sketches section of the NBC SNL Website in the US. It's really clunky but if you scroll backwards by season you can pick an episode to get to a selection of skits associated with it. Of course now there's an ad in front of EVERY video which makes prolonged watching annoying. All the musical acts are missing but there's still thousands of sketches you know and love available. If you're outside the US (not sure which territories) most of those videos are also available on YouTube for "easy viewing" but since "The uploader has not made this video available in your country" it's anything but....

NBCUniversal announced that they're going to create their own streaming service in 2020 and I'd be willing to bet the SNL highlights will be ported there when it happens. If they were smart they'd figure out a way to get clearance rights to show complete episodes but with 44+ seasons to clear it would take a herculean effort.

Short version, I'd love to see more complete seasons of SNL made available but I doubt it's going to happen anytime soon...

Dan C and jupiter8 like this.
  23. music4life

music4life Senior Member

I'd love to have the Eddie Murphy and Phil Hartman years.

24. jupiter8

jupiter8 Senior Member

It's a shame so much of it is unavailable in any format- they quickly take down anything that pops up on YouTube as well. It's a real time capsule of the last 40+ years.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  25. Exit Flagger

Exit Flagger Forum Resident

I just went back to look now and it had been fixed. No Season 8.

I guess someone from Hulu lurks (or posts) here.

Matthew Tate and aoxomoxoa like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.