Snowfall series on FX

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Cupids_bow, Aug 1, 2019.

1. Brenald79

Brenald79 Forum Resident

Of course that’s the reason.

2. BEAThoven

BEAThoven Forum Resident

Well, that is crazy and unfortunate... but then so was 2020 in general... this show is so good.

Shawn and marmalade166 like this.
  3. Cupids_bow

Cupids_bow chillin like a villain Thread Starter

FX announced Snowfall renewed for 5th season!

4. BEAThoven

BEAThoven Forum Resident

Quick update here: The show has been renewed for season 5.

Anyone catch last night's (3/24) ep?

EDIT -- Sorry, did not see the latest post from Cupids_bow.

lc1995 and Shawn like this.
  5. BEAThoven

BEAThoven Forum Resident

I actually hate that I was right here! That whole scene of Fatback walking out of the police station on bail and just getting in any ol' car was a bit forced -- I wish they could have written it a bit stronger. This guy had been scared and in hiding up until this point -- Right after bail, he just going to get in any car just because someone says "Franklin sent me"? That was a stretch...

Didn't the cops say in the previous episode that they had fingerprint evidence tying Leon to the scene? Why would they let Leon slide just because Fatback surrendered?

trumpet sounds and Shawn like this.
  6. Something else I noticed along those lines - when they were talking to Fatback they told him he'd take the fall for killing the young girl. But when they showed the news clip and announced the charges murder of the girl wasn't one of them (unless I missed it). I'm surprised they'd even offer him bail as he'd be a flight risk. Which, come to think of it would have been a good plot point 'hey Fatback, go take the fall for this but once you make bail we'll smuggle you out of the country.'

But overall a very good episode.

7. sberger

sberger Dream Baby Dream

For some reason I'm still trying to understand this series completely flew under my radar until a week ago, when in the thread on The Mayans somebody mentioned it. Finally started watching and man what a show! Easily one of the best things I've watched lately, right up there for me with "Better Call Saul", "The Knick", assorted foreign shows, and yes, "The Mayans". There is nothing that is not top notch about what I've seen so far. And I'm close to the end of Season 1.

8. lc1995

lc1995 Forum Resident

Yeah, Fatback's death was cheap and disappointing. I think they've been taking shortcuts in the post-Covid production of this show, though.

BEAThoven likes this.
  9. sberger

sberger Dream Baby Dream

And BTW, the music soundtrack is some of the best I've heard of any television series, ever. Whoever curates it has done a brilliant job of picking some real choice nuggets. Eddie Hazel!

Shawn, lc1995 and trumpet sounds like this.
  10. lc1995

lc1995 Forum Resident

I totally agree.

They really pick some deep cuts, not just Michael Jackson and Prince songs

I really like this song from Season 3

Shawn and marmalade166 like this.
  11. Cupids_bow

Cupids_bow chillin like a villain Thread Starter

Reed has become quite the bad ass this season. I like it.

Oh Alton, why did you do that!

trumpet sounds likes this.
  12. lc1995

lc1995 Forum Resident

Alton couldn't live with his son destroying the community. I think it was misguided to trust that lady, but I don't think his decision was morally wrong by any means.

13. BEAThoven

BEAThoven Forum Resident

I guess if you consider mentally unravelling and self-destructing being a "bad ass," then he is.

trumpet sounds and lc1995 like this.
  14. BEAThoven

BEAThoven Forum Resident

I agree with you, but... I know it's a TV show and the plot must keep moving along, but he seemed to go with the "Irene" route way too soon! He didn't try to reach out to his family in earnest about all of this before he went to the "destruct" option with Irene.

She's a reporter -- She can't protect anybody.

15. BEAThoven

BEAThoven Forum Resident

Just a plot prediction: Irene doesn't make it to next season.

16. lc1995

lc1995 Forum Resident

This show is now in 1985, the same year the Nicaragua contra ended if I'm not mistaken.

Shawn likes this.
  17. BEAThoven

BEAThoven Forum Resident

I don't think so -- 1985 was the start of Oliver North illegally using the money generated from the sales of arms to Iran to fund the Contras. All of this later became the highly publicized "Iran-Contra Affair."

joy stinson likes this.
  18. GregM

GregM The expanding man

Not reading much of this thread as I just started a week ago and have been binging this series. Was enjoying it in the John Singleton vein of Boyz, with the added subplots of the McDonald character with the CIA and the Villaneuva family, all playing different pieces of the puzzle. Would have gone nuts for this about 20 years ago when I was more into Spike Lee stuff like Clockers.

Anyway, I was enjoying it until S3 E10, the Other Lives episode right after everything had built up to the key shooting scene with one of the main characters bleeding and losing consciousness on the floor when S3E9 ends--not wanting to say who to avoid a spoiler. So the 10th episode starts with events prior to the show starting. Oh great. Here we go with a nonlinear thing. The show had done that before briefly to fill in a backstory.

Only now it's long extended. I'm more than halfway through the episode and we're still nonlinear. And what do I see but Teddy visiting Franklin at his mom's house to recruit him for the CIA. The show just hemorrhaged all its credibility. We all know that in season 1 Teddy clearly did not know Franklin at all and abducted him. Each was a total stranger to the other. The show just committed a cardinal sin of making its earlier story implausible.

How could they have allowed such poor writing that undermines the way these characters were shown to have met each other? I just don't get why writers are so enamored with nonlinear storytelling. These types of extended flashbacks are great opportunities to screw up a perfectly good TV show, and that's exactly what they seemed to have done here.

19. lc1995

lc1995 Forum Resident

The Season 3 finale sucked but it was not non-linear, it was a dream sequence until the end of the episode. It was like the Kevin Finnerty Sopranos episode which I also hated.

Season 4 is mostly great so far

20. GregM

GregM The expanding man

Maybe I missed something, but...so none of that actually happened? Franklin never went to college, never was kicked out, never assaulted the admissions guy? He even mentions this assault early in S4 as having actually happened. So clearly, I thought, the sequence was an extended flashback.

The Sopranos dream sequences were --you know-- dreamlike...often with audio/video production that would quickly clue you in to the fact that you were watching a dream. The Kevin Finnerty character was not a dream sequence but part of a parallel universe while Tony was in a coma lasting several episodes. He talked differently than Tony, and his wife's voice was not Carm. The character allowed the show to explore Tony as a legit businessman rather than a crime figure to better pose the question Tony blurts out when he briefly regains consciousness: "who am I? Where am I going?" The Finnerty character is attacked by Buddhist monks who claim he defrauded them, which broadens the identity crisis to other cultures and ethoses in a way that was entertaining and not at all superficial. Sopranos also featured flashback scenes that were relatively brief, with characters who had passed away, to reveal something new. The Sopranos dream sequences started in season 1 and they'd recur when Tony's subconscious was trying to tell him something significant about another character in a way that could not be revealed in his discussions with Melfi or others. David Chase would not have created three entire seasons before changing the rules and springing the first dream sequence on the viewer. No quality show would do that.

So that brings us back to Snowfall. You say it's a dream sequence but each character was substantially the same. The production was the same in terms of audio and video. So, to me, the Snowfall S3E10 episode seemed like a flashback to past events. A real mess for the reasons I mentioned in my previous post. If it's a dream sequence that's even worse. What significant reveal or character insight justified it? What was the purpose? If it was to overemphasize the racist elements of society that make life difficult for blacks, I think we already got that in the flow of the story as presented by the show. Why hammer the viewer over the head with it by sacrificing the integrity of the story? I just don't see any plausible reason.

lc1995 and trumpet sounds like this.
  21. lc1995

lc1995 Forum Resident

Yeah, to my understanding it's a dream sequence and none of it actually happened until the ice bath part which was real.

Parts of the dream might have been based off things that happened in Franklin's life, but I'm pretty sure that him and Teddy never met until he kidnapper him.

I was confused at first too.

GregM likes this.
  22. GregM

GregM The expanding man

Ok but I'm still confused. What's the reason for showing any of that--whether a dream or a flashback--the college experience, the assault, the expulsion, the convenience store shooting, Teddy visiting Franklin to recruit him? It's all nonsensical in the progression of the show.

If the goal was to explore Franklin's subconscious after the shooting or provide more insight into what motivates him or informs his ambitions, the show failed miserably. Absolutely nothing was achieved relative to the character dev over the first two seasons.

The only explanation I can come up with: Singleton may have been the key to quality control in mapping out the show and character arcs, but died before a script could be approved for S3E10. The show seems rudderless in S4. Everyone is breaking character and changing course.

The writing and production is cringeworthy. Characters are rambling about things that range from business acumen to marketing 101 lessons to babble about community to preaching about social ills and racial inequality in ways people just don't talk.

In this most recent episode when the music and mood got very tense, there was a knock on the door, Franklin's mother enters, the camera dollies in to her with the drama dialed all the way to 10, and all she says before the scene ends is, "I need to talk to you."

Time to quit this show. At this point it's become silly. Too bad because the first couple of seasons were promising. Although, if I'm being honest, the Franklin character never seemed authentic or capable enough to build himself into a kingpin.

And why is he walking with a cane? He wasn't shot in the leg and it's just odd.

trumpet sounds likes this.
  23. Brenald79

Brenald79 Forum Resident

24. Brenald79

Brenald79 Forum Resident

You’re way over analyzing this show haha. It’s not a Christopher Nolan film lol.

Shawn likes this.
  25. The last couple episodes have moved the story along far faster than I expected! Guess I’m used to the slooow pace of The Walking Dead haha.