"Snowpiercer" Pretty darn good sci-fi movie

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by mpayan, Jan 25, 2023.

1. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off Thread Starter

Silly title for a movie imo but...I rented this movie on a whim to eat some popcorn to not expecting much. While the acting from the lead hero character is pretty bad, the movie actually surprised me.

Its a cross between Madmax meets The Hunger Games meets Supertrain. Quite the apocalyptic little tale. John Hurt and Ed Harris season the movie up to elevate it some, but all in all its an interesting tale with some questions left in ones mind about humanity and is it really worth it to survive an end times type situation.

I would have rather seen a stronger lead character though with more personality. Hugh Jackman maybe would have been a great fit.

Also, it is a movie also that probably would have been much cooler if the americanization aspect had been toned down. A bit too western for the director. Needed even more intense scenes. Something in between the violence and the rather tepid dialogue at times. I never felt I was trapped in that train. I should feel suffocated. Almost a bit too cute and old school at times. Too throw back to 80s sci fi acting. I expected Tina Turner to come jumping through the train car at any moment.

Nevertheless and those small criticisms aside still a very good sci-fi movie that has something to say in an interesting way. Give it a good strong B+.

Anyone else like this movie?

Last edited: Jan 25, 2023
    Jazzmonkie, Michael and townsend like this.
  2. bob_32_116

bob_32_116 Forum Flaneur

^^ You make it sound most unappealing!

ssmith3046 likes this.
  3. jrice

jrice Senior Member

I've watched it a few times and always enjoy it. Haven't watched the series yet though. Is it any good?

4. jwstl

jwstl Forum Resident

Great film as is. Pretty sure there’s already a thread for it.

5. Dr. Funk

Dr. Funk Vintage Dust

Hmmm...I tried watching this one on two separate occasions, and could not finish either time. I don't know, maybe I wasn't in the mood.

6. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

I wasn't wild about Season One of "Snowpiercer" but S2 got interesting.

FWIW, I wasn't much of a fan of the original movie. :shrug:

7. I found this movie very predictable and serving many old tropes like class warfare and caste system life.
    The not so veiled idea of the train inhabitants being, basically, the internal workings of a living entity, complete from head to poop shute, fit within the other things driving this movie.

The way in which the back of the train dregs made their way forward asked the viewer to suspend reality on too many levels.
    I thought it was good thinking to make the door blocking tube from the available items in the back of the train.
    Once they got to the butcher section, why were the butchers simply driven to kill?...Oh that's right, they are the guts of the train that digest anything that makes it was in there.
    As they passed other portions of the train making their way forward nobody said or did anything...nobody. Not even a glance or a "Hey, who are you and what are you doing here?"

Then we meet the Mason character (Tilda Swinton) again in the school car. Here she reveals herself to be troubled and suffering like those in the back of the train when she removes her teeth. But only after being overthrown and now at the mercy of those she previously stood on the necks of. In this car we also see a very stereotypical school marm who is fully vested in the rheotric and agenda speak as she teaches the children to hate those who are not as good as them.....complete with a machine gun attack......Sure, the actual "armed guards" of the train are not allowed to have ammunition but the school teacher gets a fully automatic weapon (to protect the authority, caste system, and agenda, not the students)

I think my favorite part of the whole movie comes at the very end.
    The train has been blown up, derailed, and crashed and people are now venturing outside....possibly for the first time in their lives.
    They pan across the frozen landscape and focus upon an single polar bear.
    I can assure you, if you were on the frozen tundra and a polar bear saw you YOU are now the prey and they are the apex predator on the area.
    They are relentless in their pursuit of that which they have set their sights on.......Which makes me wonder what the director was trying to convey with this imagry?

One thing was certain, and it happend during the portion of the movie when they talked about the frozen seven...as led by an Inuit woman of course.
    As the train rounds the corner and the reverence for the frozen seven story is being told, I coulted the frozen projections in the snow...and there are six, including the small one presumed to be a child.
    This made me think two outcomes were plausible for this movie, both of them culminating in the train crashing and people inside going outside.
    One, they crash and one of the frozen seven is surviving and finds some of the train passengers.
    Two, they crash and the thoughts of artic survival will give hope.

Was he going for hope and renwed life because, hey look, there is life out here afterall?
    Was he going for an out of the frying pan and into the fire type thing?
    Was it simply an image he thought was wintery and nice?

As it is, this entire movie is one metaphor after another, while not really having a cohesive story to stand on.

If one were to apply physics, reality, and some common sense, there are plenty of things one can find logical, plausible, reasonable issues with...but we let that go in order to try and enjoy the movie.
    This movie is an okay science fiction, apocolypse type, time user that works fine as just something to do on a rainy afternoon....Sometimes that is exactly the movie we need on that particular day.

tommy-thewho and mpayan like this.
  8. simonux

simonux Custom Title

The story of the Transperceneige is from a graphic novel published the early 80s. and guess what ? There is a second train !

9. uncarvedbloke

uncarvedbloke Forum Resident

Great film, it's becoming one of those films that is repeated regularly in the UK.

10. Oh man! I hope its not going in the opposite direction of the first train.
    Thanks, I was not aware of the graphic novel lineage. Was it better than the movie?

11. formu_la

formu_la I'm not a robot

Someone described it as a steaming pile of manure. I watched 1/2 of the first episode, and I agreed. But ratings are decent.
    The movie was OK. 6.5/10 for me.

12. NettleBed

NettleBed Forum Transient

I really hated this movie.
    :hide:

mpayan likes this.
  13. unclefred

unclefred Coastie with the Moastie

I streamed it so I had no financial incentive. I doubt I watched more than a half an hour.

14. DPM

DPM Senior Member

I thought the movie was OK. I prefer the TV series.

15. mpayan

lol I did didnt I?

I really enjoyed the premiss of the movie, the execution could have been better imo. I still think it was a good movie though.

16. mpayan

There is a thread, but it is closed.

Michael likes this.
  17. mpayan

Becoming a bit of a cult film?

18. mpayan

Is the book more interesting than the movie?

19. uncarvedbloke

uncarvedbloke Forum Resident

Nah, Terrestrial TV is becoming more samey the last few years.

mpayan likes this.
  20. simonux

simonux Custom Title

Better is subjective, let's say that there is more stuff happening.

cleandan and mpayan like this.
  21. Curveboy

Curveboy Forum Resident

Really love this movie...was enjoying the TV show too but fell behind.

22. Jim B.

Jim B. Senior Member

Fun film, cool idea. The scene where they have to fight those masked guys freaks me out.

Captain America eats babies!

23. Echoes Myron

Echoes Myron Forum Resident

Loved the film!

24. tommy-thewho

tommy-thewho Senior Member

Wasn't a fan.

Too far fetched. Train loops forever in extreme conditions.

cleandan likes this.
  25. Aggie87

Aggie87 Gig 'Em!

We enjoy the series moreso than the movie. With either you have to suspend disbelief and just accept things, but it's still mostly a fun ride. And Jennifer Connelly, Daveed Diggs, and Sean Bean all really commit to their characters.

The upcoming Season 4 was previously announced as the final season, and then later announced it won't be on TNT. Not sure where it shows up, but hopefully it ends things fittingly, particularly with where all of the primary characters find themselves at the end of Season 3.

kouzie likes this.