So far so good with new TT and system play.

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Lenny99, Nov 25, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lenny99

Lenny99 The truth sets you free. Thread Starter

Hi:

I recently purchased the Audio Technica LPW40WN. It’s touted as an almost Audiophile TT by Audio Technica. They list it in with their next step up group of TTs. I think that’s mostly a marketing gimmick, but it probably true this TT is not up to Audiophile grade.

None the less, I knew this going in. I just liked the look of this TT. It reminds me of the old (and I mean really old) Pioneer TTs from the early 1980’s. They had a line of TTs whose plinth was a block of wood. It was lighter colored than the 40WN. In fact, it was almost yellow in color. If I be remember correctly they used S shaped arms.

Anyway this purchase maybe a stroll down memory lane for me. Lol.

Really, this TT looks great. I love the dark colored plinth, the straight, carbon arm, the smooth and quiet belt drive.

And, it sounds good. I’m not sure what constitutes an audiophile sound, and I’m not being sarcastic, but this TT sounds better than the Audio Technica LP120x which it replaced in my system. It sounds a little brighter and a bit more defined.

So, I matched it with my recently purchased Yamaha RS202 Receiver. That receiver sounds better than my Sony Strdh190 AV receiver which I replaced. I believe the Yamaha is a dedicated Receiver. It’s not an AV receiver which should mean it would sound better than the Sony when spinning records.

The speakers are Klipsch
    RP 160Ms. I purchased them on sale a few months ago. They sound great. I use Polk Audio’s T15s as backups.

That setup sounds pretty good to me. It’s leaps ahead of what I had a few months ago.

Now:

I didn’t discard my old components. In the other room which I call the TV room, I hooked up my Audio Technica 120xusb TT with the Sony Strdh190 receiver. I have a very old pair of speakers my grandson gave me. Someone gave them to him for the same reason he gave them to me: They are too big for his listening room. Indeed, they are rather large. They are Sonics speakers from the Mid 1980’s. I believe they are a 3 way, 4 speaker setup. The woofer looks to be approximately 15” (I haven’t got around to measuring it) while there are 2 regular dome type tweeters and a slightly larger midrange speaker. The speakers are made of some light brown paper material. Obviously, they are heavy on the bass side. I’m fact they can be too boomy. All specs that might have been listed on the speakers has worn away, so I’m no sure the Ohms, etc. But I think they are prob 8 ohms. Also, I think I can find all of this out with some Google searching. I’m just not into that at this time. I’ll probably do so later.

For secondary speakers I run my Sony CS5SS. They add a little brightness to the system. They are a 3way bookshelf speaker. I always like the sound they produce which when played alone they provide much more bass than one would anticipate. That maybe the result of better placement.

This system sounds different than my main system which resides in my main listening room, the living room. But they both sound OK to me. In fact I’m having fun while learning a good bit about speaker placement etc. I trade components back and forth just to see the difference. It’s been fun. At any rate I’m pretty happy with what I have especially the system in the living room.

Finally, I’d recommend the AT LPW40W TT to anyone who wants to step up or upgrade components from a beginner’s or entry level TT but can’t afford much more that $300. Beware, thus TT looks better than it sounds, but not by much.

Later.

Last edited: Nov 25, 2020
    Andy Saunders and Roycer like this.
  2. Roycer

Roycer Forum Resident

Congratulation on your new TT :righton:

3. Lenny99

Lenny99 The truth sets you free. Thread Starter

Thanks.

4. allied333

allied333 Audiophile

Your TT has good reviews at Amazon. Likely best deal for the cost.

5. Andy Saunders

Andy Saunders Always a pleasure never a chore

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.