So glad I took a chance on a Hana cartridge!!

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by David A., May 12, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. David A.

David A. Forum Resident Thread Starter

Some of you may remember I wanted to replace my Koetsu Rosewood with another cartridge because the Koetsu is over 33 years old and sounds worse than awful now.

I didn't really WANT to order any cartridge w/o auditioning it first, but it became clear that it would be necessary to take a chance. I read a lot of reviews. I called the company that sells them to see if there was a return policy (there is, for 30 days).

I held my breath, crossed my fingers, and prayed, that a Hana SL would put my system back to its former glory. I placed the order over the phone and waited anxiously for it to arrive. Ordered on Monday and on Friday it was on the delivery truck before 5AM so I figured I might get it before noon. But nooooo, not noon, not 3PM, not even 5PM. Around 6:15 PM it showed up. I got it installed and properly set up in an Ittok arm in my Linn LP12. Trotted it back out to the listening room, plugged it in, and held my breath--my heart pumping double time...voila! It sounds FANFRICKINTASTIC! I swear it has better definition at all frequencies than my 1985 Rosewood ever had. It's not harsh--it's not overly forward, it's not reticent. It's like the proverbial cat's meow. What I'm saying is that there are no noticeable dips or peaks in frequency response that I can discern. Those of you who prefer other cartridges--that's OK! We all have our likes/dislikes.

Even my old records that were repeatedly played on el cheapo record players from the 1960s sound remarkably free from distortion. There are some ticks and pops in lead-in/out grooves but the for the most part, many of my records sound more pleasing than the same album on CD.

Bottom line, is even someone who's owned a high end cartridge can find happiness at the $750 price point. Well done, Hana!! (I set the impedance to 600 on the NAD preamp, as the instructions call for >400. I haven't felt the need to change it to a lower value)

2. Pythonman

Pythonman Forum Resident

Good to hear! My Hana SH is amazing. It gets even better after 50-70 hrs. The separation between instruments- performers front to back is the biggest surprise from this musical cartridge for me.

David A. likes this.
  3. David A.

Yes, I noticed the same thing! Coming from a Koetsu (I've no idea how they sound recently, but my 1985 one just never sounded as faithful to the music as this Hana), I was so fearful that no cartridge selling in the Hana price range would appeal to me, but it totally satisfies my ears.

4. Helom

Helom Forum member

I also received one of these carts yesterday. I'm really struggling with alignment on this one. Beginning to think I got a lemon because I simply can't get it to sound good. I've made multiple VTA adjustments and even with the tail down, there's no bass. Detail and dynamics are good but I'm also getting sibilance. I've never had this much trouble aligning a cart o_O

5. Seafinch

Seafinch Preferred Patron

I've been running a Hana SL on my LP12/Ekos for the past several months and am also really pleased. Great cartridge.

chacha and David A. like this.
  6. David A.

No problem with bass here at all. and zero sibilance. I'd contact the seller and discuss your issues with them. Good luck.

7. Pythonman

Pythonman Forum Resident

My high output Hana SH sounds best with the tail up or arm pillar side of the tonearm parallel or slightly higher. Bass was nearly non-existant for the first 20-35hrs and came on with a vengeance after that period. On my VPI Prime using the supplied VPI alignment jig there's no sibilance at all and zero IGD. On an arm with not easily adjustable VTA I would definitely set VTA to slightly higher than parallel from the pillar on a normal, non-180-200gram pressing. Use a lined 3x5 index card instead of just eyeballing VTA. It really helps IMO unless you have a better tool.

8. Helom

Helom Forum member

I discovered most of the bass issue was due to my in-line subsonic filters. Appraently they're only designed for use with 47KΩ inputs. I switched my preamp to MM mode and there was bass aplenty. I then removed the subsonic filters and switched back to MC mode. The bass was less than with the MM setting, and just barely what I'd consider moderate. I don't use a Fremer style microscope, but when eyeballing the stylus under magnification, it appears that if I were to achieve 92° SRA, the cartridge tail would be near bottomed. If I place it parallel to the record, it's nowhere near 92°

I think this one is going back to the dealer for an exchange. Occasionally I'm noticing bits of its presentation that hint to great potential, so not ready to give up on the SL just yet.

9. chacha

chacha Forum Resident In Memoriam

I would love to hear one of these. I have an LP12/Ekos as well. I have an Audio Note IQ3 currently on it.

Seafinch likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.