So how full is your DVR?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by jlocke08, Jan 22, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jlocke08

jlocke08 Forum Resident Thread Starter

and how much to you plan to keep forever? i previously saved by transferring to dvd for my personal collection. circumstances prevent that now. i'm about 60% full with about 40% planned to keep indefinitely.

2. Juan Matus

Juan Matus Reformed Audiophile

I think ours is pretty near 100% full. My wife is the only one that uses it though. She keeps saying she needs to clean it up.

3. JerolW

JerolW Senior Member

59%.

jerol

4. Rachael Bee

Rachael Bee Miembra muy loca

I have no idea how full my DirecTV unit is. If you can check that, I don't know how. My OTA Tivo is at 78%. That's about average. It's never been over 90%.

5. Maranatha5585

Maranatha5585 BELLA + RIP In Memoriam

Roughly 70%

6. John B Good

John B Good Forum Hall Of Fame

I gather newer ones have much larger capacity. My wife mostly uses ours, and it ranges from 50-80%.

7. 83% last time I checked. I've got movies I recorded two years ago that I still haven't watched.

jlocke08 likes this.
  8. Kevin j

Kevin j The 5th 99

not sure. i only have 20 hours available through at&t tv (it's still in "beta" mode, and they've been promising to expand the dvr for years). it's impossible to keep anything on their crappy dvr, but i don't care.

9. JohnBeas

JohnBeas Senior Member

I keep my Tivo (with a 3TB hard drive) around 90% full. I'm constantly off-loading programs I want to save but I've got some shows that have been on there for years.

10. mrjinks

mrjinks Optimistically Challenged

Zip/zero/nada. Never had a dvr. Don’t have cable - watch anything and everything on demand on firestick/roku.
    Love it that way!

Pete Puma likes this.
  11. dead of night

dead of night Senior Member

I just deleted about 60 episodes of The Office I was not watching to make more room for daily recordings.

12. formbypc

formbypc Forum Resident

50% or so.

Can't transfer stuff off it to save forever, as it only has HDMI out, and recorders don't have HDMI in (unless someone knows different ... if so, please advise)

13. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

When we want to keep something permanently, we capture it outside the DVR to a Blackmagic Mini-Recorder and keep the files on various hard drives. I think it's pretty obvious that the movie & TV industry does not want to make it easy to record shows and movies on a DVR and keep them forever.

Yes, you can do a Google search and find HDMI splitters that will remove copy protection. Quite a few capture devices have HDMI inputs -- we use them all the time.

JohnBeas likes this.
  14. Joseph LeVie

Joseph LeVie Forum Resident

59%. I’m not keeping anything. I’m really only watching The Virginian at the moment, but, it’s recording faster than I can watch (and delete). If I’ve done my math right, I should be finishing up the entire run in May and can start watching and deleting other shows. I need to binge. I just realized that there is a bookmarking feature for streaming shows that don’t get recorded, so, I have been sneaking some non-recorded shows too that haven’t helped me delete shows. Also, due to some of the lighter amounts of shows last year, some of what I recorded were one time HD movies, so, eventually, when those are deleted, they should give back some higher percentages. Going into the pandemic, I was in the high 90s and the TiVo said 100% for a little while, but, I don’t believe it had started autodeleting shows.

15. JohnBeas

JohnBeas Senior Member

I used to have Panasonic hard drive/DVD recorder - they were great for saving recordings. But its only SD resolution so its no longer a good option. I wish the industry would have made a HD recorder with a blu-ray drive - apparently they were made for the Japanese market but those recorders (and cable tuners) would not work in the US. I currently use a Tivo and theres software that allows you to save programs in HD (onto a hard drive) but its only a matter of time before it either dies or its no longer supported by my cable company.

16. Kyle B

Kyle B Forum Resident

Don’t burned DVDs fade over time and become unplayable? I made DVDs of the series Homefront years ago (it still hasn’t been commercially released). Wondering if I should transfer to a hard drive.

My DVR is always above 90% full.

17. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member

82% - 68 movies sitting in the cloud somewhere

18. Hovers between 40-50%. Should finally figure out how to copy the shows I might want to keep longer-term.

19. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues

I try to keep it at about 70 percent or below. I actually only save things til I watch them and delete them afterwards. Theoretically so does my wife, but she saves things and never get around to watching them. . . or takes forever to. . . and after a while I delete them. Most of the time about 7/8 of what is on the DVR she has added.

20. Eric_Generic

Eric_Generic Enigma

Far too much. I always think "one day I might want to watch this...".....

EG.

Dudley Morris and Erik Tracy like this.
  21. JohnBeas

JohnBeas Senior Member

I've got some DVD-R's that are going on 15+ years and they still play fine - probably somewhat depends on the quality of media and the storage conditions (and I've got CD-R's older than that). That being said I have backed up quite a few of my DVD's onto hard drives. I'm also aware that eventually my Tivo will die and anything I haven't transferred will probably be lost (programs on a Tivos HD are tied to the physical machine).

jlocke08 likes this.
  22. With streaming I rarely use my DVR anymore.

23. rjp

rjp Senior Member

as i type this 24%

24. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

When Tivo (the first off-air hard drive recorder) was introduced in 1999, we had a sit-down interview with the president of the company and the head of marketing at CES for Video Review. I asked, "hey, what if you created a module that sat off to the side and allowed users to make permanent copies on a DVD?" (Back then, there was only DVD, no Blu-ray yet.) They both kind of blanched and said, "oh, no. We're lucky to just be able to allow users to record off-air. We don't want to arouse the wrath of the studios and networks by allowing people to make permanent copies." And they were very firm about it.

Soon afterwards, Panasonic and several other Japanese companies created domestic machines that would do just that, but they made it clear they would only be for Asia. I think everybody was very nervous about the MPAA, and it was sort of "understood" that this product wouldn't be happening in America.

I've often dreamed of making a component system that would have an off-air/digital cable tuner, a satellite tuner, a hard drive recorder (with different recording modes), and a Blu-ray recorder that could make permanent optical media copies. I haven't yet won the Lotto, so this hasn't yet happened... but I have a dream!

MikaelaArsenault, JohnBeas and Kyle B like this.
  25. JorgeGvb

JorgeGvb Senior Member

Ours is always 80+%. My wife is a DVR Hallmark movie hoarder. :laugh:

Michael, JohnT and Eric_Generic like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.