So, How good are Mcintosh MC-60's?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Dean De Furia, Aug 20, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dean De Furia

Dean De Furia Senior Member Thread Starter

So, I need another tube amp like a hole in the head BUT I can get a really nice pair (8 out of 10) for what I think is a steal. Mostly original tubes, nice chrome some minor scratches on the transformers, all original electronics underneath, great lettering.

The question is, Do the SOUND good? Or are they cold like the MC75's?

Best tubes for them?

Opinions welcomed.

2. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

Not cold. Slower because of the tube recs. The 60's were used in many recording studios of the day and most of your favorite American based stuff was recorded and mixed on them.

The tubes are KT-88's or Tung-Sol 6550's and if you ever need to retube, watch out pocketbook.

I had a pair for a while but sold them, feeling that my 30's had more of that sonic "character" that I like in vintage gear. Many people swear by them though.

3. Dean De Furia

I assume the small tubes are the same as the 30's?

4. Steve Hoffman

Small tubes the same, yes, sorry, I didn't see all of your question.

The big tubes have to be (for the best sound) either NOS Tung-Sol 6550's or Genelex/Gold Lion KT-88's. Tung-Sol's are warmer sounding, Genelex more accurate sounding (but cost more than the amps to retube with new old stock).

All in all, if you can afford it, a nice pair of amps, but doesn't replace the 30's for true tube character (that I love so much). In other words, less colored, more neutral. Heck, who wants that? :wave:

5. Dean De Furia

Well, I think it has 3 Tung-sols in it now and one off-brand. I might snag them to see how they sound and sell them if I don't like them as much as the 30's.

6. Steve Hoffman

Better get another Tung-Sol in there though...The output tubes "bounce" off each other in the traditional push-pull manner. Having two different tube brands in there won't sound too good.

7. indy mike

indy mike Forum Pest

Dean - whattya mean by off brand? GE, RCA and some others got their early 6550's from Tung-Sol and branded them with their own logos (I've been reading, Boss)...

8. Dean De Furia

Mike, it does't have the same glass shape as the tungsols, I think it's a Sylvania.

9. indy mike

indy mike Forum Pest

Woof - not the "Coke bottle" glass shape, eh? Back to the drawing board...

10. rickl

rickl Forum Resident

Doesn't everyone have Tung-Sol KT-88's in their office at work? Some ask questions about 'em but most don't notice (or the Sony R2R manual or ...).

rick

11. Steve Hoffman

There are only two shapes, the coke bottle shape and the later GE straight up and down (like a condom) shape.

You don't want to be mixing those types; they sound totally different from each other.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.