So I am going to play every 45 in my collection.......(Part 3!!)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Juggsnelson, Mar 19, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. team2

team2 Forum Resident

This is my favorite song by The Jam and has since become one of my favorites of the entire 1980s as well. An absolute masterpiece -- in only 2:53, it crystalizes everything perfect about the band. Soaring guitars, breathtaking key-changes, floor-shaking bass & drums, punk-themed lyrics -- it's all here. This single rightly deserved to go #1 in the UK!

Juggsnelson likes this.
  2. team2

team2 Forum Resident

Another brilliant one from The Jam at their mid-period peak. This one is best LOUD!!! I didn't catch the "Taxman" lift the first time I heard it. If anything, it reminded me of "The New Pollution" by Beck. (Guess that's two songs inspired by "Taxman...")

Juggsnelson likes this.
  3. Juggsnelson

Juggsnelson Senior Member Thread Starter

The Jam-- Just Who is the 5 o'clock Hero/The Great Depression
    GERMAN ISSUE
    This single, onky available as an import, still managed to reach #8 in the UK in 1982. Weller's lyrics here highlight the 9-5 working man as being the real heroes in town....an interesting shift in thought in just a few years. This might be my least favorite Jam single. Luckily for me, it was followed by not only my favorite Jam song, but one of my favorite singles ever!

[​IMG]

Surly, team2 and Bobby Buckshot like this.
  4. Juggsnelson

The Jam-The Bitterest Pull (I Ever Had to Swallow)/Pity Poor Alfie/Fever
    UK ISSUE
    This one always warrants multiple listens! It reached #2 in the UK in 1982, held out of #1 by Eye of the Tiger and Pass the Dutchie....Weller is probably still seething. That guitar figure that opens the song and also plays after the chorus mesmerized me instantly. It sounded so familiar....like a nursery rhyme or a children's song. I love it. Great backing vocals by Jenny McKeown of The Belle Stars and the orchestration is spot on. Fine lyrics by Walker too dealing with seeing an Ex getting married and still not being over them. An outright classic!
    [​IMG]

5. Juggsnelson

Brian James- Ain't That a Shame/Living in Sin/I Can Make You Cry
    UK ISSUE
    Being in The Damned and Lords of the New Church is a pretty good resume!! This solo single from 1979 features Stewart Copeland on drums and his playing is certainly recognizable, especially his cymbal work. I always liked this song. Brian isn't the greatest singer but his voice has character and attitude. A good groove and not as frenetic as you might think.
    [​IMG]

Twangy and Bobby Buckshot like this.
  6. Juggsnelson

Rick James-Love Gun
    PROMO
    Hard to believe Rick passed nearly 15 years ago!!!!
    This minor R&B hit from 1979 is a nice mix of rock and disco complete with whistles right out of Bad Girls. The Stone City band were pretty great and they are in full effect here: horns, backing vocals, a cool guitar riff, funky bass....great sounding production!
    [​IMG]

Mr Bass, Grant, Fullbug and 2 others like this.
  7. Come on down, Rick!

Juggsnelson likes this.
  8. Juggsnelson

Man they were fun to watch! Interesting to see Rick on 5 string bass and the usual bass player on 4 string bass miming in the same clip! Where do I get me one of those laser pistols?

Dan Steely likes this.
  9. team2

team2 Forum Resident

Definitely another absolute gem. Your phrase "edgy, poppy, infectious, driving, sunny and insistent" is a great way to describe it. The flipside, "Precious," is a great soul/funk pastiche that works quite well. I don't care too much for late-period Jam (Weller was right to end the band when he did), but there are still many excellent songs to be found in addition to these two: "Ghosts," "Five O'Clock Hero," "Bitterest Pill" and, of course, the brilliant "Beat Surrender..."

Juggsnelson likes this.
  10. Juggsnelson

Agreed about latter era Jam not being nearly as strong. The good songs were VERY good though.

team2 likes this.
  11. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

Not his best song, and it was taken from his weakest album, but it still has the groove. He was doing a lot of drugs at this point. It was around this time that Teena Marie broke it off with him because of his excessive partying, infidelity, and drug use.

Juggsnelson likes this.
  12. bartels76

bartels76 Forum Hall Of Fame

You can see the cocaine in that video!

Juggsnelson likes this.
  13. Grant

Where?

Juggsnelson likes this.
  14. bartels76

bartels76 Forum Hall Of Fame

It's a joke but they all look pretty hopped up.

Juggsnelson likes this.
  15. Grant

That's called acting.

16. Mr Bass

Mr Bass Chevelle Ma Belle

Big Rick James fan. I have almost all of his LPs in promo issue. The same with Teena Marie. It was her passing that hit me hard because it was unexpected. Most people were surprised Rick actually made it as long as he did.

Grant and Juggsnelson like this.
  17. Juggsnelson

Nice! I only have a few of them. Teena was very talented both vocally and as a bass player. Looked cool as anything doing it too. A real shame.

Grant and Mr Bass like this.
  18. Grant

I'm also a fan of both and have almost all studio albums from both of them, especially those on Motown, where they both did their best work.

Juggsnelson likes this.
  19. Juggsnelson

Rick James- Give it to Me Baby/Don't Give Up on Love
    This track from Street Songs, and one of Rick's most enduring singles, topped out at #40 USA and #47 UK in 1981. That opening bassline is just killer. So are the horns that ratchet up the sexual tension throughout the song. "High in the sky"? "Say What?" Hmm....Not our Rick. Superb production. I can only imagine how great the 12" must sound.
    [​IMG]

20. Vinyl Addict

Vinyl Addict Forum Resident

Man, this will take you years! Only into the "J"s so far.

I always enjoy this thread.

druboogie, ascot, Grant and 1 other person like this.
  21. Juggsnelson

Rick James-Super Freak Part 1/Part 2
    Undoubtedly Rick's most popular song, this peaked at #16 in the USA in 1981. Grammy nominated in the "Rock" category, it does just that and a whole lot more. What else needs to be said about this track? A perfect combination of Rock and R&B elements. Not my favorite Rick track by a long shot but certainly fun. There is a great live version from SNL where the band just rips it up. A few of The Temptations help on backing vocals ("Temptations sing!"). Years later MC Hammer scored big by sampling this in "U Can't Touch This".
    [​IMG]

Mylene, ascot, Dan Steely and 2 others like this.
  22. Juggsnelson

Rick James- Dance Wit' Me Baby Part 1/Part 2
    This track hit #63 in the USA and #54 in the UK in 1982. I always liked that Rick kept his sound mostly organic even when embracing technology....well, except for the next single! Fine bass playing and a nifty running guitar lick. This track simmers more than burns though and gets a bit mundane after a few minutes.
    [​IMG]

Grant, Dan Steely and Bobby Buckshot like this.
  23. Juggsnelson

Rick James-Cold Blooded/Instrumental
    This hit #40 in the USA and #93 in the UK in 1983.
    A one man band here is our man Rick! The story goes that he was fooling around in the studio with then girlfriend Linda Blair....on the keyboards that is....and he came up with this tune. The minimalist feel of the track actually works nicely into the "cold blooded" theme.
    [​IMG]

24. Juggsnelson

Thanks! Yeah, I underestimated how long this would actually take!!:D A labor of love though. I've loved 45's for as long as I can remember.

25. Juggsnelson

Rick James- 17/Instrumental
    This hit #36 USA and #76 UK in 1984. "She was only 17, but sexy." They don't really make them like this one any more although Rick seems to imply that he doesn't give in to the "jailbait". Rick toys a bit with his public persona here, even referencing that the young lady has heard he was a freak. Not a bad track but Rick's sound is now fully in line with a lot of other R&B acts of the day.
    [​IMG]

Grant and Bobby Buckshot like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.