So I am going to play every 45 in my collection.......(Part 3!!)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Juggsnelson, Mar 19, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Manapua

Manapua Forum Resident

Both Sartorial and Dear God harken back to early 70s Elton and while they're both perfectly listenable (and at least not overplayed) he did it better with Skyline Pigeon and High Flying Bird.

Juggsnelson likes this.
  2. Juggsnelson

Juggsnelson Senior Member Thread Starter

Dear God really could have used Bernie's lyrical imprint.

3. torcan

torcan Forum Resident

This is my favorite Elton John song - in fact, in my own personal charts, this was my No. 1 song of 1980 - and I think 1980 was a great year!

team2 and Juggsnelson like this.
  4. Juggsnelson

1980 had some great stuff! This definitely in my Top 5 Elton songs for sure.

5. Juggsnelson

Elton John- Nobody Wins/Fools in Fashion ( Non-LP)
    The highest charting single from The Fox, this reached #21 USA and #42 UK in 1981. Elton gets no songwriting credit on this track but Gary Osborne is back. If only there was a decent melody buried in these synthesizers. Elton sounds pretty disinterested and it's a miracle this charted as high as it did. As the lead single from the album, fans must have bought it in good faith. The B-Side is much better. This is the first single where I really noticed that Elton's voice had matured.
    [​IMG]

6. Juggsnelson

Elton John-Blue Eyes/Hey Papa Legba ( Non- LP)
    UK and US Issue
    This track co-written with Gary Osborne as a tribute to Liz Taylor, reached #12 US and #8 UK in 1982. Nice to see Dee Murray back on bass....and Elton on piano! This is not a favorite of mine but I can see why people like it. I find it a little dull but pleasant enough.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

greelywinger, team2, Surly and 3 others like this.
  7. Juggsnelson

Elton John- Empty Garden/Take Me Down to the Ocean (Non-LP)
    This tribute to John Lennon, reached #13 U.S. and #51 UK in 1982. A rather poor showing in the UK, especially after Blue Eyes went to #8. Elton and Bernie did a fine job paying their respects to Lennon. I really like the lyrics here. Bernie does a nice job of using metaphors to honor Lennon without falling into cliches or obvious adulation. The "I've been knocking, but no one answers" part towards the end gets me a little bit. Elton sounds energized and emotional and it carries the song home. Its not a perfect song but it is an effective one.
    [​IMG]

8. ascot

ascot Senior Member

I love this song for all the reasons you described.

Juggsnelson likes this.
  9. Manapua

Manapua Forum Resident

Lol. Out of those three, Nobody Wins is my favorite. I love the synth sounds and general eeriness of the track. The other two are just okay, something I rarely said about his 70s output. Sorry, I don't mean to beat a dead horse but...

Juggsnelson likes this.
  10. Juggsnelson

You are probably in the majority I would say. The band was different, collaborators were different, producers different, and Elton was different....both in voice and spirit. I have a friend since my school days who I have talked music with for 30 years. We have debated every artist, every style or genre to death. He called me the other day and after I said hello, he said "Bryan Adams is really underrated. Think for a bit and call me tonight to discuss your top ten Adams songs." That was the entire conversation. I bring this up because Elton is one of the artists him and I disagree on the most, especially from the 80's onwards. The songs from this era that I love, he tolerates and vice versa. There is no right and wrong and that is what makes it fun.

Fullbug, team2 and Manapua like this.
  11. Manapua

Manapua Forum Resident

I had 2 friends like that from high school and we'd spend hours discussing music. They've both left this plain of existence while I continue to trudge on. Thankfully, there's the SHF to continue the discussion. Cheers old friends.

team2, Juggsnelson and Dan Steely like this.
  12. Juggsnelson

I lost a High School friend who was big into music too. He helped me see the brilliance of Queen...who are now my favorite band.

Manapua likes this.
  13. Juggsnelson

Elton John- I Guess That's Why They Call It the Blues/The Retreat (Non- LP)
    UK and US Issue
    I prefer the USA sleeve. This track got to #4 USA and #5 UK in 1983. Davey Johnstone gets a writing credit here along with Elton and Bernie. Nice to see the Elton John Band back together here...with the addition of Stevie Wonder on harmonica. Great performances all around. Nice to have the bands backing vocals on hand again. Chris Thomas' production is crisp and tight and makes the rhythm section shine.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

14. Juggsnelson

Elton John- I'm Still Standing/Earn While You Learn & Love So Cold (Both Non- Lp)
    US and UK ISSUE
    This time I like the UK sleeve better. The Too Low For Zero artwork never did it for me.
    While this got to #4 UK, it stalled out at #12 USA in 1983. Very surprising as I heard it a lot and the video was on a ton. I'm Still Standing could easily have been Elton proclaiming that although a new decade had brought with it new stars, he was still viable and strong as ever. Well not quite but the old band was back together and they were still capable of great things. The beat and melody here is infectious and even a bit rocking. The lyrics are decent enough but it is the music and the vocals that carry the day. Elton sounds demonstrative and determined to not fade away....and he didn't. Kudos to Davey for a short yet effective solo.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

15. Juggsnelson

Elton John- Kiss the Bride/Choc Ice Goes Mental (Non- LP)
    This reached #25 USA and #20 UK in 1983. This pop-rock number always struck me as a quality album track and not a big single and it seems record buyers agreed. Listening to it now, I think I actually like it a bit more than I ever have. It is basic and fun...or about as fun as a song can be where a guy watches the girl he loves (lusts?) get hitched to another guy.
    [​IMG]

16. PTgraphics

PTgraphics Senior Member

So many really good Elton John songs and picture sleeves.

Juggsnelson likes this.
  17. Manapua

Manapua Forum Resident

All three of these songs are a perfect example of what to expect from EJ in the second decade of his career. There's still some good stuff coming up but it ain't here. I will say that Blue is saved by Eltons' performance.

Juggsnelson likes this.
  18. Juggsnelson

A lot more to come too! He really pumped albums and singles out like crazy.

ascot likes this.
  19. ascot

ascot Senior Member

I have this single and I still love the song. I have great affection for a number of Elton's 80s hits since I grew up in that decade.

team2 and Juggsnelson like this.
  20. Juggsnelson

I also grew up in the 80's and these Elton songs were a big part of the soundtrack of my formative years. I can appreciate all eras of his career but 80's production values don't bother me as much as it does some other people because I didn't know any better at the time. It was what I knew and loved. These last few singles to me are a nice hybrid of 70's/80's Elton: the Classic Elton John Band, Elton/Bernie co-writes, and some passion in the recordings. Later in the decade it gets more hit and miss for me.

team2 and ascot like this.
  21. Juggsnelson

Elton John- Sad Songs Say So Much/A Simple Man (Non-LP)
    US and UK ISSUE
    This pic of Ekrin is not very flattering....and they would use it again later on a US sleeve!
    This track got to #5 USA and #7 UK in 1984. Bernie expressed very well what I'm sure we all felt at some point....especially being forum members. Sometimes it feels good to wallow in your misery by throwing on the saddest songs you know and let it all out (I usually hit the Badfinger catalog!) Once again The Elton John Band is on hand to gel the performance and add the fine vocal harmonies. Nigel's drums are sweet too. I enjoy this one when it comes on.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

22. Juggsnelson

Elton John - Passengers/Lonely Boy (Non-LP)
    UK ISSUE
    This was a #5 UK hit in 1985. Written by Elton, Bernie, and Davey, this track borrows the melody from a South African folk song (hence the credit given to Phineas Mkhize). The lyrics here seems to be about Apartheid but I don't think Elton or Bernie ever addressed this specifically. This definitely has an old work chant feel to it which makes it an interesting single selection. I'm not a big fan of it.
    [​IMG]

23. Juggsnelson

Elton John-Who Wears These Shoes/Lonely Boy (Non-LP)
    This got up to #16 USA and #50 UK in 1984. This kind of has the feel of Phil Collins version of You Can't Hurry Love. The lyric wonders who is his new replacement in a romantic relationship. A decent track but not overly memorable and I don't remember hearing this on the radio at all. The faux Motown sound was popular in the early 80's and it really was no match for the real thing.
    [​IMG]

24. Manapua

Manapua Forum Resident

Breaking Hearts is an album I never bought, in fact, I believe The Fox was the last Elton album I payed money for until the live album later in the 80s. Who Wears These Shoes was not a favorite of mine at the time but listening to it again, it's not as bad as I may have regarded it in '84. Nothing to get excited about but not that bad. I don't know Passengers and while it's a different sound for Elton, I doubt it would have gone over well in the States. Sad Songs on the other hand, is a good 80s Elton song which I quite like. Good melody and production touches. You're right about the upcoming releases. With very few exceptions, there isn't much to sink my teeth into.

Juggsnelson likes this.
  25. Juggsnelson

A lot of these singles from this era just weren't that memorable. They are not bad songs (mostly), just not great or even very good ones.

Manapua likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.