So I am going to play every 45 in my collection.......(Part 3!!)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Juggsnelson, Mar 19, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Juggsnelson

Juggsnelson Senior Member Thread Starter

Howard Jones- Life in One Day/Learning How to Love
    This reached #19 USA and #14 UK in 1985. This track has a bit of an island feel to it. It's uplifting message of living in the moment is appropriately paired with upbeat music and some fine backing vocals from Afrodiziak. A fine tune and a bit of a lost hit seeing that it cracked the Top 20.
    [​IMG]

Surly, team2, ascot and 1 other person like this.
  2. Juggsnelson

Howard Jones- No One is to Blame/The Chase (Non-LP)
    This reworking by Phil Collins and High Padgham is a completely different animal than the cold, stark version that appeared on the Dream Into Action LP. Collins appears on drums and backing vocals (along with Afrodiziak) and Jones plays piano instead of synths on the main riff. Both versions are great but this single version is just fantastic. An all time favorite of mine and a #4 hit in the USA and a #16 hit in the UK.

Some creative lyrics by Jones whose theme could have easily led a lesser writer to cliche. He gives a great vocal here too.....I especially love the drawn out anguish of the final "blaaaaaaame".
    The backing vocals are a highlight too. There is a "TV Mix" which omits Jones' vocals completely, and let's you really enjoy the music and Afrodiziak and Collins. On this mix you can really hear Collins' vocals a lot more clearly. "You're the fastest runner" and his counter melody on the chorus which is hard to discern on the final product. I love mixes where you get to hear some background elements highlighted in the forefront. Give it a listen!

[​IMG]

Mylene, Dan Steely, Surly and 4 others like this.
  3. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product

Both great singles.
    Life In One Day was just so peppy it was irresistible.
    No One Is To Blame was a pretty big hit in Australia, and was another really good song.
    Jones wasn't afraid to sing about things that weren't cool in the day, and I reckon that is cool.

team2 and Juggsnelson like this.
  4. Victor/Victrola

Victor/Victrola Makng shure its write

Life in One Day was a medium-sized hit here in the USA but No One Is To Blame was a big big hit, probably due to the Phil Collins connection, riding on the coattails of his massive US success. I really like that version of the song, and Collins' production is immediately identifiable, and fantastic.

Juggsnelson and mark winstanley like this.
  5. Juggsnelson

Howard Jones- All I Want/Dig This Well Deep (Non-LP)
    A minor hit, this peaked at #76 USA and #35 UK in 1986. This would be his last Top 40 hit in the UK. This one rocks a bit and I have always liked it. I can't say I ever heard it on the radio though! Howard was evolving a bit and I felt like the style suited him.
    [​IMG]

Surly, ascot and Bobby Buckshot like this.
  6. Juggsnelson

Yeah Phil took a very good song and made it great.....and infinitely more commercial! He doesn't get enough credit for his production work. Some great stuff he did with Clapton, Frida, Adam Ant, etc...

7. Juggsnelson

Howard Jones- You Know I Love You....Don't You?/Roll Right Up (Non-LP)
    This single reached #17 USA and #43 UK in 1986. The intro riff reminds me of Peter Schilling....until the horns kick in. More than A bit of Opposites Attract too!! I really enjoy this but it doesn't scream Howard to me. It feels like a song recorded for a soundtrack without retaining the artists identity. That being said, it is very catchy and I dig it.
    [​IMG]

8. Juggsnelson

Howard Jones- Everlasting Love/The Brutality of Fact (Non-LP)
    This seemed like a big come back to me at the time even though Howard hadbt been off the charts that long. This got to #12 USA and #62 UK in 1989. The beginning is typical Howard with an instrumental passage appearing that doesnt share the melody of the song....similar to Things Can Only Get Better. A bit shocking that this flopped in the UK where Howard once was a real force. I love that musical but right before he kicks into the chorus.
    [​IMG]

9. team2

team2 Forum Resident

My other favorite of HoJo's after "What Is Love?" I'm surprised no one had mentioned it yet in the last several posts.

Remember the wild video for this? I don't recall it getting much airplay in the U.S. (probably because viewers would have been calling the networks thinking something was wrong with their signal, LOL!).

Last edited: Oct 9, 2019
    mark winstanley and Juggsnelson like this.
  10. Juggsnelson

Sometimes creativity isn't very well thought out!!

team2 likes this.
  11. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product

I don't recall seeing that before... it is weird and demented, and I kinda like it.
    Probably not wise for sales and video rotation, but certainly interesting and memorable. Not surprisingly Godley and Creme involved

12. team2

team2 Forum Resident

Oh yeah, it's a great clip! However, it would obviously throw off viewers not prepared for it. (G&C did some great stuff back then!)

mark winstanley and Juggsnelson like this.
  13. Juggsnelson

I can imagine the phone calls from viewers this would have caused. The headache probably wasn't worth it for MTV to play it after awhile.

team2 and mark winstanley like this.
  14. team2

team2 Forum Resident

Exactly! I think I saw it only once on Friday Night Videos and never again (until YouTube a few years ago...).

Juggsnelson likes this.
  15. ascot

ascot Senior Member

One of my favorite Las Vegas memories from the early 2000's was an 80's night on Freemont Street downtown. They had Howard Jones playing on one stage and Men At Work on another. I was running between them to hear the best songs. Free shows and both very good.

16. Juggsnelson

I BET that was a great night! Sounds like a way for me to get some exercise! Both artists are great live. I've seen them both numerous times (and Colin solo as well) and they are top notch performers.

17. team2

team2 Forum Resident

I remember hearing this one quite a lot when it was new, then it disappeared completely. I've known several music fans who know their 80s hits and even they don't remember it. Good tune regardless...

Juggsnelson likes this.
  18. Juggsnelson

Joe Jones- You Talk Too Much/I Love You Still
    This Fats Domino-esque track (written by Fats' brother in law) reached #3 in the USA in 1960. This used to play a lot on the Muzak station where I worked in High school and I love it. Short and sweet. The horns really make this one. Swinging drums too.
    [​IMG]

19. Juggsnelson

Oran "Juice" Jones- The Rain/Your Song
    This fantastic R&B track hit #9 in the USA and #4 in the UK in 1986. This is another personal favorite of mine....so much so that I have bought multiple copies of the 45 and 12" single. The music is great and Oran goes from soul balladeer to rapper in a matter of minutes. Oran has caught his woman cheating, and he really lays into her during that legendary rap beat down. My friends were always amazed (horrified??) that I could sing it note for note. Still do! "You without me is like cornflakes without the milk!" "You're messin' with The Juice!" Enough said.
    [​IMG]

c-eling, Technocentral, Grant and 3 others like this.
  20. A hit here in the Netherlands, too. A one hit wonder, but what a hit! First the sound of rain, then the sequencer comes in, then that beat starts, the keyboards join in and off we go!

Juggsnelson likes this.
  21. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

I like it but prefer the Run D-M-C version what was also a hit in 1987.

Juggsnelson likes this.
  22. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

I love the way it starts out as a plain, boring ballad and then does a complete 180 on you and he breaks out into a cold rap dissin' his sudden ex. "Ain't nothin' but a squirrel tryin' to catch a nut!" :biglaugh:

Juggsnelson and Dan Steely like this.
  23. Juggsnelson

The intro really is spectacular! No way was I turning off the radio once I heard that. It still holds up.

24. Juggsnelson

Wow.....I had never heard that until this moment. "Your the Walter Cronkite of the neighborhood!" lol. I enjoyed it but my heart still lies with Jones.

25. Juggsnelson

When that rap starts, it is the proverbial needle scratch moment.....where everyone stops mid-sentence and can't believe the sudden turn of events.

"Silly rabbit, trucks are made for kids don't you know that?"

Surly and Grant like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.