So I am going to play every 45 in my collection.......(Part 3!!)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Juggsnelson, Mar 19, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Juggsnelson

Juggsnelson Senior Member Thread Starter

Quincy Jones- "Roots" Medley/Many Rains Ago
    This track, a medley taken from the wildly successful mini-series, reached #57 in the USA in 1977. The Main Theme is ingrained in my head and I've always liked it....even though it certainly sounds like a TV theme from the late 70's.
    [​IMG]

Bobby Buckshot likes this.
  2. Juggsnelson

Quincy Jones- Ai No Corrida/There's A Train Leavin'
    This Grammy Award winning track was taken from Quincy's monster LP The Dude. It hit #28 USA and #14 UK in 1981. Too bad AF never got to release this announced SACD......The production is too level. The lead vocal is handled by Charles May aka Dune with Patti Austin on backgrounds. Slick jazz-pop-R&B done well. That breakdown bit in the middle with the bass and horns is good stuff. I wasn't a big fan when I was younger but I dig it now. The more I hear it, the more I like it.
    [​IMG]

Bobby Buckshot, Dan Steely and Grant like this.
  3. Juggsnelson

Quincy Jones & James Ingram
    One Hundred Ways/Velas
    Another single from The Dude, this reached #14 in the USA in 1981. This track also won a Grammy Award....Quincy cleaned up! James Ingram has a fantastic voice and he really elevates anything he is a part of. He is magic here. The lyrics basically describe all of the things you should be doing to keep your woman happy at home.....and all of the ways she will reciprocate....100 of them! Smooth.
    [​IMG]

Mylene, Bobby Buckshot and bvb1123 like this.
  4. bvb1123

bvb1123 Rock and Roll Martian

I remember this song! I forgot all about it! I loved it when I was like 12 years old. I'm gonna have to find it on Spotify and listen to it. Now I need to hear it!

team2 and Juggsnelson like this.
  5. Juggsnelson

It holds up really well!!!

bvb1123 likes this.
  6. bvb1123

bvb1123 Rock and Roll Martian

It does! That's why I love checking in on your thread whenever I see it. I'm always finding songs I either loved and forgot or had never heard and I love now.

team2 and Juggsnelson like this.
  7. Juggsnelson

That's awesome! The same goes for myself. Some of these haven't been played in years and years. I have re-discovered quite a few songs I completely forgot about and songs I never really paid proper attention to back when they were released.

team2 and bvb1123 like this.
  8. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

Wow! I don't have this, nor have I ever heard it. I watched the mini-series, of course, but I tried to block a lot of it out of my mind for reasons.

Juggsnelson likes this.
  9. Grant

I am only used to the album version. Great song, though.

Juggsnelson likes this.
  10. Manapua

Manapua Forum Resident

I bought both Ai No Corrida and One Hundred Ways - great stuff! Quincey Jones was coming off the massive success that was Off The Wall and it was good to see him gain attention under his own name. It would be almost a decade before he'd repeat this chart success.

Juggsnelson likes this.
  11. team2

team2 Forum Resident

I always associate "One Hundred Ways" with "We're In This Love Together" by Al Jarreau, "On the Wings of Love" by Jeffery Osborne, and "If Ever You're In My Arms" again by Peabo Bryson -- all part of that smooth R&B/pop from the early-to-mid-80s...

Juggsnelson and Manapua like this.
  12. Grant

I enjoy his earlier albums more, though. 1975's "Mellow Madness" album is my favorite, although it can be argued that it is the true Brothers Johnson debut album. "You've Got It Bad, Girl" and "Sounds...and Stuff Like that" are also favorites. And, the guy released many, many albums from the 50s and 60s, too.

Juggsnelson likes this.
  13. team2

team2 Forum Resident

Always nice to hear when someone checks out Juggs's great thread to see what he's spinning. Any love for 45's is always appreciated! :righton:

Juggsnelson, Grant and bvb1123 like this.
  14. Manapua

Manapua Forum Resident

Yeah, he had albums under his own moniker stretching way back but I was referring to singles action since it's the purpose of this thread. Of his own albums, I remember hearing things from Walking In Space, Smackwater Jack, Body Heat, Mellow Madness and Sounds...and Stuff Like That before The Dude. I know he continued to record and produce after this success but he didn't release another album until Back On The Block at the end of the decade IIRC. Love The Secret Garden.

Juggsnelson and Grant like this.
  15. Juggsnelson

Those are all GREAT songs!:edthumbs:

Surly and team2 like this.
  16. Juggsnelson

Definitely an artist I need to explore further!!

17. Manapua

Manapua Forum Resident

I noticed this type of music starting to ramp up on the Pop charts around the time Bobby Caldwell's What You Won't Do For Love in the late 70s. We got more of it a few years later with Sergio Mendes - Alibis and Never Gonna Let You Go come to mind.

team2, Juggsnelson and Grant like this.
  18. Juggsnelson

Those also are fantastic songs. That Bobby Caldwell LP is currently next to my turntable, ready to play later tonight.

Manapua likes this.
  19. team2

team2 Forum Resident

Definitely. As for the ladies singing this style during this era, I always think of Maxine Nightingale's "Lead Me On" and Denise Williams' "It's Gonna Take A Miracle."

Grant, Juggsnelson and Manapua like this.
  20. Manapua

Manapua Forum Resident

Caldwell made some really fine albums throughout the past few decades, some of whose songs became hits for other artists - Don't Ask me Neighbor, Heart Of Mine and of course, the #1 The Next Time I Fall just to name a few. If you love smooth jazz/pop, look no further.

Juggsnelson likes this.
  21. Manapua

Manapua Forum Resident

Love Deniece Williams! Particularly, Free.

Grant and Juggsnelson like this.
  22. Juggsnelson

Rickie Lee Jones- Young Blood
    Promo
    Her second single, this reached #40 in the USA in 1979. Edie Brickell owes a lot to the sound of this. I always liked this a lot. Probably my favorite track of hers. Love the harmonies with the background guys. Willie Weeks on the fine bass line. An all star lineup on a first class jam.
    [​IMG]

Bobby Buckshot likes this.
  23. Juggsnelson

Tom Jones- It's Not Unusual/To Wait For Love
    Tom's first single to chart, it hit #1 UK and #10 in the USA in 1965. My punk band used to do a sped up version of this....It worked really well!

Tom sings with his not unusual gusto and the horns are along for the ride. I like the lyric idea too.....the usual becomes unusual when it is happening against you. My second favorite single of Tom's.
    [​IMG]

Retro Hound, Mylene, team2 and 4 others like this.
  24. Juggsnelson

Tom Jones- Once Upon a Time/I'll Never Fall in Love Again
    Tom's next single topped out at #32 UK in 1965. Some cool guitar features on this rocking track. This has instant energy and grabs your attention. It deserved a better fate.
    [​IMG]

25. Manapua

Manapua Forum Resident

The second Tom Jones single you mention was flipped in the US with I'll Never Fall In Love as the A-side in '67. It got halfway up the chart. Two years later it had another go-round and muscled it's way to #6. Once Upon A Time's first chart appearance was as the flip side of What's New Pussycat in '65.

Victor/Victrola and Juggsnelson like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.